Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fulcrum racing 3's VS Mavic Ksyrium Elites

Options
  • 28-08-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Always been a Mavic man, but the Fulcrum 3's have got my attention at the moment... Anyone have them and have an opinion good or bad, or even better can anyone compare them to Mavic Ksyrium Elites? The Elites are coming in at approx €520, with the Mavic tyres which I'll sell and replace with Conti GP4000IIs, whereas the Fulcrum 3's are €420 complete with the Conti tyres/tubes...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have the Fulcrum 3's on one of my bikes and they have been fine so far (approx 8,000kms). Never went out of true or popped a spoke.

AFAIK they are the same wheel as Campy Zondas (so prehaps there may be hub trouble when the mileage increases).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Thanks for the reply, yeah from what I've read about them they're basically the Zondas with a different label and spoke pattern, they're coming in cheaper with the tyre deal than the Zondas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Fulcrums.
    I'd avoid the Kysriums like the plague.
    Mavic are a nightmare when you have a problem, spokes are far too expensive if you need to replace them. That's if you can even find them in stock. The Kysrium elite rear hub has been crap for me, developed loads of drag unless the preload is dialed out to the point where it has a hideous amount of lateral play.
    The spokes developed a weird oxidation after about 6 months. Mavic said it was because I lived too close to the sea. Have never had a problem with any other bike parts in this way.
    Also WAY heavier than Mavic claim. 400g difference in my bike weight between the Racing 3's and the Ksyriums that are listed as the same weight.
    I'll never buy Mavic again after my experience with the ksyrium elites.

Perfect thanks for that, as I said I've always had Mavics, had issues with a set constantly going out of true and spokes breaking a few years ago and you've just reminded me of the pain in the arse it was trying to get spokes for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I haven't tried the Mavics but I'm a big fan of the fulcrums. Like zondas they are bullet proof and have never given me a problem. Seem to come in below claimed weight which is a bonus.

Hub and freehub bearings are very cheap if they ever need replacing, so hubs should run smooth for as long as you keep them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, have ordered the Fulcrums, can't go wrong for €420 with Conti tyres, Merlin have them at that price if anyone's interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aimnburn

I'm seriously considering Ksyrium Elites. The main reason I'm leaning more towards them over Racing 3's is aesthetics as the 2017 model can be had now for €470 from Sigma Sports - [font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://tinyurl.com/y89cd2bo [/font]
    I fancy a pair with red hubs and I know they'd look bad ass on my bike :) I dont see the Racing 3's looking good at all on my bike due to the white hubs and decals. I've nothing against white hubs they just wont suit the black and blue color scheme of my bike.
    However if the general consensus is that the Mavics are not a good wheel then I'll have to reconsider. They get a great write up though - http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wheels/mavic-ksyrium-elite-wheelset ;
    Easily as good as Zonda's or Racing 3's. Are is that not the case? Should I avoid??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

aimnburn wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering Ksyrium Elites. The main reason I'm leaning more towards them over Racing 3's is aesthetics as the 2017 model can be had now for €470 from Sigma Sports - [font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://tinyurl.com/y89cd2bo [/font]
    I fancy a pair with red hubs and I know they'd look bad ass on my bike :) I dont see the Racing 3's looking good at all on my bike due to the white hubs and decals. I've nothing against white hubs they just wont suit the black and blue color scheme of my bike.
    However if the general consensus is that the Mavics are not a good wheel then I'll have to reconsider. They get a great write up though - http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wheels/mavic-ksyrium-elite-wheelset 
    Easily as good as Zonda's or Racing 3's. Are is that not the case? Should I avoid??
    the Mavics are great. low hub maintenance. the Zondas need to be serviced regularly which i never did with the Mavics as they didnt need it. bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

However if the general consensus is that the Mavics are not a good wheel then I'll have to reconsider. They get a great write up though - http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wheels/mavic-ksyrium-elite-wheelset 

You can get them for 425 using the 10% off sale code! Great value.

thekooman wrote: »
    However if the general consensus is that the Mavics are not a good wheel then I'll have to reconsider. They get a great write up though - http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wheels/mavic-ksyrium-elite-wheelset ;
    the Mavics are great. low hub maintenance. the Zondas need to be serviced regularly which i never did with the Mavics as they didnt need it. bullet proof.
    Cheers thekooman. Great to hear someone with real world experience using them and finding them good.

• Advertisement

surball wrote: »

You can get them for 425 using the 10% off sale code! Great value.
    Even better! Surely my wife cant say no now :ermm:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fulcrum 3s have a wonderfully loud freehub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Completely untrue. Zondas rarely need servicing. I had a set for 2 years and they needed zero maintenance in that time. The lad I sold them to has used them all year round since he bought them of me and said that they are still as good as new and need nothing.

Maybe that was your experience but the general consensus is that Zondas are relatively fit and forget for the vast majority of people whereas Mavic's do not have that luxury and have considerable more negative reviews compared to fulcrum/campag's. Like I said you may have had the opposite experience but you are in a small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not my experience with last year's Ksyrium Elites. Like them and got them at a very good price on one of the German online stores but the freehub started sreaming at me a few months ago with only about 5,000 km done. Stripped it down, cleaned and lightly oiled it and it's fine again but it's not something I've ever had to do with Aksiums that have an awful lot more distance on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Not my experience with last year's Ksyrium Elites. Like them and got them at a very good price on one of the German online stores but the freehub started sreaming at me a few months ago with only about 5,000 km done. Stripped it down, cleaned and lightly oiled it and it's fine again but it's not something I've ever had to do with Aksiums that have an awful lot more distance on them.

'The Mavic Death Squeal'

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Fulcrums.
    I'd avoid the Kysriums like the plague.
    Mavic are a nightmare when you have a problem, spokes are far too expensive if you need to replace them. That's if you can even find them in stock. The Kysrium elite rear hub has been crap for me, developed loads of drag unless the preload is dialed out to the point where it has a hideous amount of lateral play.
    The spokes developed a weird oxidation after about 6 months. Mavic said it was because I lived too close to the sea. Have never had a problem with any other bike parts in this way.
    Also WAY heavier than Mavic claim. 400g difference in my bike weight between the Racing 3's and the Ksyriums that are listed as the same weight.
    I'll never buy Mavic again after my experience with the ksyrium elites.
    THIS.

Fulcrum 3's arrived today, haven't had a chance to ride them in anger yet just a very quick spin but my initial impression is that while they're a very nice wheelset, I'd choose the Ksyrium Elites if had both sets in front of me. Slightly stiff, almost grindy hubs but the bearing load might just need a bit of adjustment so that won't concern me just yet. I just get the initial impression the Elites are the better wheelset. Freehub is the quietest I've ever come across, I thought the Fulcrums had a reputation for being loud?
    Anyway, happy out with the purchase, got a good deal on them with good tyres so they'll suit their role perfectly.

Statler wrote: »
    Fulcrum 3's arrived today, haven't had a chance to ride them in anger yet just a very quick spin but my initial impression is that while they're a very nice wheelset, I'd choose the Ksyrium Elites if had both sets in front of me. Slightly stiff, almost grindy hubs but the bearing load might just need a bit of adjustment so that won't concern me just yet. I just get the initial impression the Elites are the better wheelset. Freehub is the quietest I've ever come across, I thought the Fulcrums had a reputation for being loud?
    Anyway, happy out with the purchase, got a good deal on them with good tyres so they'll suit their role perfectly.
    Both great wheel sets but I've just ordered a set of Ksyrium Elites so I'm glad to hear this!

Advertisement