Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - price increase for certain items?

Options
  • 28-08-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭

anyone noticed this eg tesco fresh pasta was €1.30 - now €1.50..

and Q are tesco prices standard across all stores?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I think prices are standard yes, their tills are all updated in one place.
    (I'm talking about standard Tesco stores not express or metro though)
    Why shouldn't they change their prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sporina wrote: »

AFAIK some Metros and Expresses have increased prices to account for their premium locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

anyone noticed this eg tesco fresh pasta was €1.30 - now €1.50..

Have you never noticed the price of items change in supermarkets before? Many go up in price from time to time and a few come down in price occasionally. I'm not sure what your Consumer Issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Also as the Euro strengthens against Sterling the price that UK retailers pay for their products increases so they will pass that cost on to the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Del2005 wrote: »
    Also as the Euro strengthens against Sterling the price that UK retailers pay for their products increases so they will pass that cost on to the consumer.

If the consumer is paying in euro then tesco are getting more in sterling for the product. not sure how that justifies a price increase. If tesco are paying for the goods in euro and the customer is paying in euro then the exchange rates cancel each other out. If tesco is paying for the goods in sterling then the exchange rate change puts more money in their pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Used to love "unsalted mixed nuts" €1.45 now gone to €2.49

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are heavily promoting a push downwards on selected items - to maintain average margins, items other than those selected will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭sporina

Have you never noticed the price of items change in supermarkets before? Many go up in price from time to time and a few come down in price occasionally. I'm not sure what your Consumer Issue is.

15% increase is a bit steep - indeed some items are reduced from time to time and then a regular price when not.. but this is a price change - thats different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

15% increase is a bit steep - indeed some items are reduced from time to time and then a regular price when not.. but this is a price change - thats different!

It's 20cents.

Sterling has dropped 15% this year.

There are always price changes. I'm just surprised you don't seem to have ever noticed any before this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If the consumer is paying in euro then tesco are getting more in sterling for the product. not sure how that justifies a price increase. If tesco are paying for the goods in euro and the customer is paying in euro then the exchange rates cancel each other out. If tesco is paying for the goods in sterling then the exchange rate change puts more money in their pocket.

We have several UK suppliers. Every one of them have put prices up this year. Lowest increase was about 6%, some were 12%+

So much raw material / ingredients comes from European countries or dollar countries such as China.

Thankfully sterling weakness has meant no price increases in our stores, and some decreases. But all UK stores selling same products have increased prices.

Uk retail inflation is currently 3.6%, here its -0.4%. A 4% difference in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

CeilingFly wrote: »
    We have several UK suppliers. Every one of them have put prices up this year. Lowest increase was about 6%, some were 12%+

So much raw material / ingredients comes from European countries or dollar countries such as China.

Thankfully sterling weakness has meant no price increases in our stores, and some decreases. But all UK stores selling same products have increased prices.

Uk retail inflation is currently 3.6%, here its -0.4%. A 4% difference in a year.

Well my post was referring to irish stores so you have just confirmed what i said. For the UK the opposite is true hence the price increases there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talking to a manager there about 10 years ago, he said yes, but that was before Tesco Express or Metro. That said, the few things I've picked up in Express or Metro seem to have the regular prices.

However, what you will find is that the product range will vary. So while you will likely have ordinary and premium brands in Merrion SC, you will have bargain and ordinary brands in Finglas.

It's 20cents.

Sterling has dropped 15% this year.

There are always price changes. I'm just surprised you don't seem to have ever noticed any before this.

its 15% - 20c would be nothing on an item that €6+..

and no i didn't notice it before - maybe it more the case with tesco own brand.. and its a fresh item..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

At a guess.. the new advertising for the lowest prices on the Top 800 products Irish Families buy..they then up the prices on the thousand or so other things we buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

So what's the consumer issue?
    Tesco can charge what they like, people can shop where they like.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Prices go up and down like that throughout stores. Something that is 1.50 one week can be 2.00 or 3.00 the next. It can go the other way too. If some items are on offer, with reduced prices, you can guarantee that there's other products elsewhere in the shop that have had their prices bumped up to compensate.

Prices are generally similar throughout different stores, but sometimes they can "local" a product - i.e. they can change the price of an individual item in that particular store, irrespective of what it is in other Tescos. Usually that happens when they have far too much of something and need to get rid of it quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Gosh I can see the newspaper headline: 'Business in Trying to Make a Profit Shock!!'.

dohouch wrote: »
    Used to love "unsalted mixed nuts" €1.45 now gone to €2.49

thats crazy - i guess you looked for a cheaper alternative - as i will be doing so too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Prices are always going up and down in supermarkets in the past week the dog dog food in Tesco went down by 4c and the salmon we used get in Lidl went up by 30c!

Prices are always going up and down in supermarkets in the past week the dog dog food in Tesco went down by 4c and the salmon we used get in Lidl went up by 30c!

i see the logic based on some of the more informative posts/explanations I have received here..

its not all bad - encourages me to look for cheaper alternatives and discover new items in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Victor wrote: »

However, what you will find is that the product range will vary. So while you will likely have ordinary and premium brands in Merrion SC, you will have bargain and ordinary brands in Finglas.

You'll get pretty much all their premium products in Finglas, and Clarehall.

Both have huge catchment areas, not just the immediate surroundings, and Finglas is (not sure if still the case) a home delivery hub.

tbh my observation of the aforementioned price increases coincided with the revamp going on in my local store - i wonder if there is any connection between that and the increase in price of certain items.. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I remember paying 1 shilling for a Hovis loaf in Tesco in 1970. Imagine my surprise when I went in today and they asked for £1.

Tesco are robbing bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tbh my observation of the aforementioned price increases coincided with the revamp going on in my local store - i wonder if there is any connection between that and the increase in price of certain items.. ?

I would guess it's just coincidental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Advertisement