Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in working conditions without notification.

Options
  • 28-08-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

So you spend the Summer doing up some notes,plans etc for the new school year.
    Life is grand and then you go back to school and are handed a timetable that bears little resemblance to the classes you had last year eventhough you are in the same school 10 years!:mad:
    Now your Summer work of doing up notes, etc. was a total waste of time,why oh why does this happen,without consultation,not even a mere mention of why it happened?

Would this be considered as a form of bullying as it has happened to a number of teachers?

Has it happened to anyone on here and what was the solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Need more context to be honest. Are teachers being given subjects they are not qualified in, and in turn their subjects being taught by people who are not qualified to do so?

Are teachers who have seniority and permanent contracts being given these timetables and their classes given away to new teachers?

Hard to say without any more info really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Getting a list of your classes in June or being told what you will have have and then the timetable not matching that is a regular occurrence in schools I've taught in. So much so that I don't do much beyond a tentative plan for the first few weeks anymore.

I find it beyond ridiculous that timetables appear arriving back. Super frustrating.

Add it to the long list though of things that frustrate me. Provide your own laptop, speakers etc. Prep your classes without a workspace of any kind in most school buildings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

It certainly does not sound like bullying. (Continuous and deliberate?)
    Disorganised yes.
    Poor planning yes.

Did you ask why this happened.
    Is it perhaps due to the constraints of implementing the new junior cycle, the introduction of all 40 minute periods, the increase in hours in wellbeing, a retirement if a teacher or a position that wasn't or couldn't be filled.
    We get our timetable a week before we come back, I expect to follow on with my previous classes, which is usually the case but sometimes not possible.

To be honest , even if I knew what I was having in August I would certainly not be spending my summer typing notes/ studying / planning or whatever else it is you were doing.

Perhaps you could ask the principal why it happened, express your disappointment and hope that it doesn't happen next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

It happens to most teachers at some point. I always keep in mind that Im one of 40 staff. Making a timetable is very very complex. People suddenly leave over the summer and Principals cant get exact subject replacements. Keep it professional. Express your difficulty now and then meet again In May to remind your principal of your concerns. We teachers, can tend to think World resolves around us as we mange our classrooms-Principal has a lot more on his her shoulders.

Its not bullying unless it happened repetitively. Words like bullying are over used-in my humble opinion. It can become like the boy who cried wolf. Im speaking in general.

Advertisement