Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A repeater in need of advice

Options
  • 29-08-2017 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Basically I did horrible in my leaving cert and now I have to repeat.
    I met all my requirements in my first leaving cert but it just wasn't enough points.
    I want to drop English and take up something that doesn't include a lot of essay writing. I'm just so slow and reluctant when it comes to writing rims of paper.
    I currently do Biology Chemistry and Accounting realistically if I could I would drop Accounting as well but I don't want to take up 2 new subjects.
    What would be a good option to do for one year? I'm leaning towards Agricultural Science but I heard they're making it very difficult to achieve a high grade
    Advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

A friend of mine who just repeated his leaving cert took up ag science for a year. The lovely thing about it is that there is an overlap with biology so that should give you a headstart. The main thing he focused on was the project and consistently built it up all year. By the end of the year, he had a solid project and not only that, while doing the project you are actually studying/revising the course. Also in case you are wondering , he was not from an agricultural background one bit. He managed his h1. If you are willing to consistent ly work at it, you can do well even in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cygnetab

Also in case you are wondering , he was not from an agricultural background one bit. He managed his h1. If you are willing to consistent ly work at it, you can do well even in a year.

Yeah i'm not from an agricultural background whatsoever this is so encouraging, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

cygnetab wrote: »
    Basically I did horrible in my leaving cert and now I have to repeat.
    I met all my requirements in my first leaving cert but it just wasn't enough points.
    I want to drop English and take up something that doesn't include a lot of essay writing. I'm just so slow and reluctant when it comes to writing rims of paper.
    I currently do Biology Chemistry and Accounting realistically if I could I would drop Accounting as well but I don't want to take up 2 new subjects.
    What would be a good option to do for one year? I'm leaning towards Agricultural Science but I heard they're making it very difficult to achieve a high grade
    Advice would be much appreciated

I had the same last year, matriculation requirements but not enough points. English, Irish, Maths, Technology, French, Business, Biology and Chemistry my first year (Biology outside school, everything HL apart from irish). Then for my second year I dropped English, Irish and Business and took on Ag science. Would have got a H1 but got a H2 after completely messing up a question purely because of nerves. For me it was the best subject to take up due to an overlap with both Biology and a bit of Chemistry too.

Advertisement