Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing problem- who is responsible?

Options
  • 29-08-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Moved into a new house end of May this year, lovely house but the guys who were in it before left it in a really awful state. There had been a very bad leak from the upstairs bathroom which ruined the kitchen & dining room floors.
    Landlady had to put a few quid into it to fix/repair as well as other problems and general tidy up (they really left it in a terrible state!)
    She was understandably very upset but took it out on me a few times :( she has a very short temper & flies off the handle, has has got very irate with me & snapped/cursed/shouted at me over things that were absolutely not my fault.

So, to say I'm just a bit scared of her & prefer not to contact her over anything is an understatement!

Present situation- the water went for the whole town last Saturday morning & was back again Sunday night, however we only have cold mains- no showers, toilets, hot water, washing machine etc
    The same thing happened in June except I didn't realise that everyone else had water back until around 5 days!

A friend of mine was able to get it going again that time but hasn't been able to this time.
    I contacted LL but she's saying it's IW's responsibility, I already rang them they say no it's only their responsibility to get the mains back on.
    It's obviously a problem with the system in this house as everyone else has full water back since Sunday night.

I need a plumber at this stage, who's responsibility is that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

....... wrote: »

+1

It doesn't matter that the landlord is a firebreeding dragon- she is still responsible for ensuring that you have water.

I would give her an ultimatum- she has 3 days to sort the issue- thereafter you will ring emergency plumbing services- and get them to fix the issue, the cost of which you are going to deduct from the next rent due.

If she demurs at all- inform her that she is in breach of her obligations as a landlord- and if she doesn't accept a) or b) (above) that you are going to take a case to the RTB.

This is a recurrent issue- you have noted it earlier in the summer when you lost water for a couple of days. It is not up to your mate to do an impromptu plumbing job to get you up and running. The property is unfit for human habitation- if it doesn't have running water- this is not a negotiating tactic- it is unfit for human consumption- period.

The landlord needs to sort this- immediately. This whole firebreeding charade to keep you off her back- is moot- you *need* running water- and you *need* it now.

Giving her 2-3 days to sort it- is you doing her a favour- you do not owe her this- by rights she should have an emergency call-out from a plumber immediately this morning- its your call whether you want to give her a day or two- arguably- given her history- its a wasted gesture giving her any leeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

unreg999 wrote: »
    I need a plumber at this stage, who's responsibility is that?

If i were in your shoes, i'd probably think it's my own responsibility to ensure i can wash. Ring the plumber yourself and take the hit for the repair. Doesn't matter at this stage who should cough up...it's gone past that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

EmoCourt wrote: »
    If i were in your shoes, i'd probably think it's my own responsibility to ensure i can wash. Ring the plumber yourself and take the hit for the repair. Doesn't matter at this stage who should cough up...it's gone past that point.

Even if the repair involved ripping up floorboards and incurred many hundreds of euros to fix? It may be not but without a plumber coming to look at it the op would be crazy to take on the responsibility for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭unreg999

I contacted her & she is adamant that it's Irish Water's fault & their responsibility to fix... Also she doesn't believe that this is the only house affected- basically washing her hands (ironically!) of the problem!

I'm terrified to rock the boat as I'm on the HAP (trap) scheme & fought tooth & nail to get here, also in the house less than 6 months so basically have no rights yet..
    There are no other houses in this area & we were homeless for a period before finding it.

Unfortunately this couldn't have come at a worse time, as a single parent who has just paid almost €600 for my daughter going into 3rd year & trying to start my own business my financial health is dire to say the least

1st world problems, yes I know!

Um yes it does matter if getting a plumber in means the difference between having showers or food on the table...

Though having said that I was told by a SW officer a few years ago that if you are on SW (I was on One Parent Family Payment) you should only be having 1 shower a week of less than 15 mins & I should cut my long hair! Oh & no baths for my daughter unless we were sharing the water!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

OP it sounds like an airlock, to get you out of a hole do you know anyone who's handy at all? Sometimes it's simply a matter of blowing out the airlock.

It used to happen in my house whenever the water was turned off and this is what I did:

Attached a pipe to the cold water one end and the hot water the other end making sure water can't get out. Run the cold water, it goes up the hot tap and removes the airlock. Sounds mental I know and I don't even know how we figured that out but it used to work. I did it in the upstairs bathroom because the problem was always upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

aido79 wrote: »
    Even if the repair involved ripping up floorboards and incurred many hundreds of euros to fix? It may be not but without a plumber coming to look at it the op would be crazy to take on the responsibility for it.

Pay the plumber for a call out, get a quote for the work to be done, and decide on the course of action after that. There's no indication that it's a major job, so no need to jump to catastrophic conclusions. Yes, the landlady is responsible for repairs, but sitting around without the ability to have a shower is just a joke. OP needs to dip into their own pocket on this occasion and act in the interests of their own well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tell the Land Lady you will arrange for a plumber and deduct the costs from rent and that you'll pass on invoices for the purposes. That's it. It's her responsibility (and she should be organising a plumber herself, so should be grateful you're doing half the job for her).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

OP may not be able to afford plumber. Issue is for landlady. You need to tell her you will contact local authority. Not having water is also a health issue so get onto Health authority. She is being well paid for a service she is not providing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Call Vincent de Paul

They may help you with cashflow, they may know someone who can make the LL see sense.

Also be clear that you do have water. What you don't have is flushing toilets or hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Its just an airlock, generally easy enough to fix. sometimes just sucking on an open tap clears it.

BUT...heres the killer for you. An airlock like this is caused by using all the water in the tank when the waters off. Nothings broken and its a direct result of your actions, even though you probably didn't know that its very important not to empty the water tank during a water outage.

I 100% would argue its your responsibility to fix.

pilly wrote:
    Attached a pipe to the cold water one end and the hot water the other end making sure water can't get out. Run the cold water, it goes up the hot tap and removes the airlock. Sounds mental I know and I don't even know how we figured that out but it used to work. I did it in the upstairs bathroom because the problem was always upstairs.

Thank you, will try that!

Also be clear that you do have water. What you don't have is flushing toilets or hot water.

Yes, as I said in my initial post I do have cold mains water in the kitchen but nowater anywhere else- no toilet flushes, showers, hot taps, cold taps, washing machine etc

It's not the end of the world, it was a long way from indoor plumbing I was reared anyway!!

It's not easy carrying buckets of water around with a severe neck injury but it's very do-able, however I would like to get it sorted at some stage in the near future!

....... wrote:

No the Local Authority only pay a percentage & I pay the most part but houses in this area are very hard to come by so I really don't want to lose this one or we will probably find ourselves homeless again.
    I would be very surprised if they would intercede...

....... wrote:

Hap never pay full rent, they pay a % depending on your incomings, it's not a big amount but I pay most, part directly to the cc & part directly to the ll, almost half of my weekly incomings

• Advertisement

BUT...heres the killer for you. An airlock like this is caused by using all the water in the tank when the waters off. Nothings broken and its a direct result of your actions, even though you probably didn't know that its very important not to empty the water tank during a water outage.

I understand what you're saying & it makes sense... Unfortunately I didn't even know the water was out until I was half way through my shower & the water ran out!
    I actually thought the shower had broken or the electricity had tripped or something!

Actually I'm not sure if that's true, I know for a fact that some of the other houses nearby has also emptied their tanks but didn't have any problems with it coming back on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

unreg999 wrote: »
    Actually I'm not sure if that's true, I know for a fact that some of the other houses nearby has also emptied their tanks but didn't have any problems with it coming back on!

Yeah it's just a case of bad luck sometimes though. My old house was a pain in the arse for this very reason, always getting airlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

To the guys saying it's an easy fix do you not think the LL should have no problem calling round to fix it so? Should all tenants have plumbing expertise? Will the landlord agree to waive any damage the unqualified tenant may cause in attempting a repair?

Op, you need to stand up for yourself with this person, assertively and not be meek and timid without being threatening. Tell her in writing or over the phone you don't care who she thinks whose fault it is and that she is not fulfilling her obligations and that you want the situation remedied immediately.

....... wrote: »

While I am very much on the ops side in this, he has stated that he is in the first 6 months living in the house and therefore does not have part 4 and can be asked to leave for any reason the LL wishes. If given the correct notice time wise the RTB would have no power to impose any consequences.*

*This is assuming there is no fixed term lease in place or if there is a fixed term lease it doesn't have a break clause that could be enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Op could chase this but its a case of pick your battles.

Most estates/towns have community facebook pages, just ask if theres anyone around who can help fix a airlock. During the recent Northeast mains break several lads were out helping folk in my estate clear these for no money. If there was a local outage you're prob not the only one with an airlock.

*This is assuming there is no fixed term lease in place or if there is a fixed term lease it doesn't have a break clause that could be enacted.

No there is no lease at all & I'm fairly sure I'm not registered with the RTB either... though I have asked for both repeatedly, it won't make much of a difference once I've passed the 6 months (lease-wise anyway)!

I'm not being unassertive but the risk of homelessness is real, especially if you've already experienced it & with a child... Just trying to keep my head down until I'm in the 'safe-zone' at least, I already know how volitile she is!

I have zero plumbing experience by the way!

• Advertisement

Op could chase this but its a case of pick your battles.

Most estates/towns have community facebook pages, just ask if theres anyone around who can help fix a airlock. During the recent Northeast mains break several lads were out helping folk in my estate clear these for no money. If there was a local outage you're prob not the only one with an airlock.

Yeah totally agree, I've asked for some help at this stage...

The only thing that worries me is that there was a major leak problem just before I moved in that cost the her a good bit to repair (the floor in the dining room, kitchen & utility had to be replaced as well as plastering & painting!), I would have thought she'd want to get someone in to look at it properly even just because of that.
    She expects me to fix it myself & I really don't have a clue what I'm doing & certainly can't guarantee that anyone who comes in to help won't cause any other problems but at least I have it in writing that I let her know & asked her for a plumber!

Advertisement