Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing problem- who is responsible?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

While I am very much on the ops side in this, he has stated that he is in the first 6 months living in the house and therefore does not have part 4 and can be asked to leave for any reason the LL wishes. If given the correct notice time wise the RTB would have no power to impose any consequences.*

*This is assuming there is no fixed term lease in place or if there is a fixed term lease it doesn't have a break clause that could be enacted.

If the LL has borrowings it's likely they have given an undertaking to house the OP for three years to get 100% interest relief - or so says the HAP information leaflet anyways.

Edit - op clarified no lease

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

unreg999 wrote: »
    Yeah totally agree, I've asked for some help at this stage...

The only thing that worries me is that there was a major leak problem just before I moved in that cost the her a good bit to repair (the floor in the dining room, kitchen & utility had to be replaced as well as plastering & painting!), I would have thought she'd want to get someone in to look at it properly even just because of that.
    She expects me to fix it myself & I really don't have a clue what I'm doing & certainly can't guarantee that anyone who comes in to help won't cause any other problems but at least I have it in writing that I let her know & asked her for a plumber!

She's very foolish not to be calling in a plumber then.

No there is no lease at all & I'm fairly sure I'm not registered with the RTB either... though I have asked for both repeatedly, it won't make much of a difference once I've passed the 6 months (lease-wise anyway)!

I'm not being unassertive but the risk of homelessness is real, especially if you've already experienced it & with a child... Just trying to keep my head down until I'm in the 'safe-zone' at least, I already know how volitile she is!

I have zero plumbing experience by the way!

If you're on HAP it has to be registered with the RTB. If you're only recently moved in it maybe just not on their database yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not the answers to responsibility or anything but - Have you cold water in the kitchen? Could someone have turned off the water coming into the house? ( friend checking, whatever) it's usually under the kitchen sink..
    . . Same with the main outside just by the meter.. It's an easy check so worth doing..
    . . But it does sound like an airlock somewhere

Sorry just reread first post, you have cold mains... You don't need to check that

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Though having said that I was told by a SW officer a few years ago that if you are on SW (I was on One Parent Family Payment) you should only be having 1 shower a week of less than 15 mins & I should cut my long hair! Oh & no baths for my daughter unless we were sharing the water!

That is absolutely disgraceful, it's like something out of Dickens......what are they on?
    So in 2017 people on welfare should be the modern day "great unwashed"
    :rolleyes:

I'd ask that officer to put that advice in writing and bring it promptly to the media.

So much for human dignity.

....... wrote: »

How will they "hang" the LL? They don't have any power to.

What part of: "the LL can end the tenancy for any reason he/she wishes during the the first 6 months" don't you understand? The RTB have no power whatsoever to do anything to the LL for ending a tenancy during the first 6 months once the correct notice period is served.

Just to note the OP brought this point up long before I mentioned it so they are fully aware that they can be asked to leave in the first 6 months so calling it scaremongering is ridiculous.

I get stroppy* when people continually ignore or keep missing the point, even if the reason is "because they wanted a plumber" it doesn't matter. The RTB have absolutely no power to do anything to the LL for issuing a legal eviction notice inside the first 6 months. The op does not have part 4.

Your advice is dangerous and could land someone out on the street who is reading it.

*I wasn't even getting stroppy, point out where I was?

• Advertisement

I'm not ignoring your point, I'm trying to make you understand that's its irrelevant.

The op not getting a plumber can be dealt with by the RTB but a subsequent eviction notice will make no difference to any action the RTB take against the LL for failing to get a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭unreg999

Just to clarify I'm 99% certain I haven't been registered with the RTB though I have asked a number of times. The RTB send you out a letter once you are registered in my previous experience.

She can't avail of the mortgage relief so hasn't applied for it.
    Within the first 6 months I can be evicted without reason & with very little notice so I haven't a leg to stand on.

LL continued denying responsibility & texting me 'have you checked the ball cock?' 'have you turned all the taps off & on again?' 'have you contacted IW, they are responsible?'

I had to get someone in this morning to fix it, borrowed the money but you have to flush the toilets & have a proper a shower eventually lol turns out the seals on a lot of the taps are gone & they need replacing, they are letting air & dirt into the system.
    It will happen again if the water goes & they aren't replaced, I've let her know but not expecting much

Thank you for all the help & support :)

carolmon wrote:
    That is absolutely disgraceful, it's like something out of Dickens......what are they on? So in 2017 people on welfare should be the modern day "great unwashed"

carolmon wrote:
    I'd ask that officer to put that advice in writing and bring it promptly to the media.

carolmon wrote:
    So much for human dignity.

I know, I was speechless! It was probably around 10 years ago though 🀣🀣

pilly wrote:
    If you're on HAP it has to be registered with the RTB. If you're only recently moved in it maybe just not on their database yet.

I moved in 3 months ago!

....... wrote:

Not the case because she hasn't registered me & even if she had I basically don't have any rights until after 6 months of occupancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Not the case because she hasn't registered me & even if she had I basically don't have any rights until after 6 months of occupancy!

It doesn't matter if you are registered or not, you can still open a case with the RTB. Your rights are by no means affected.

You could always ask in the Plumbing & Heating subforum how much the replacement of seals would be? Maybe a kind soul on there would be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Um yes it does matter if getting a plumber in means the difference between having showers or food on the table...

Though having said that I was told by a SW officer a few years ago that if you are on SW (I was on One Parent Family Payment) you should only be having 1 shower a week of less than 15 mins & I should cut my long hair! Oh & no baths for my daughter unless we were sharing the water!

Could you please contact your local TDs regarding that and also the media.
    If that was stated it is an absolute disgrace and someone needs to be facing an inquiry and disciplinary action.

The officer has absolutely no business whatsoever issuing “advice” like that!

It’s not in job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Just to clarify I'm 99% certain I haven't been registered with the RTB though I have asked a number of times. The RTB send you out a letter once you are registered in my previous experience.

Within the first 6 months I can be evicted without reason & with very little notice so I haven't a leg to stand on.

LL continued denying responsibility & texting me 'have you checked the ball cock?' 'have you turned all the taps off & on again?' 'have you contacted IW, they are responsible?'

I had to get someone in this morning to fix it, borrowed the money but you have to flush the toilets & have a proper a shower eventually lol turns out the seals on a lot of the taps are gone & they need replacing, they are letting air & dirt into the system.
    It will happen again if the water goes & they aren't replaced, I've let her know but not expecting much

Keep receipts and follow up with her looking for reimbursement of the fees. That's disgraceful she's abdicating her responsibilities. If you keep paying your rent and she tries to remove you before six months just open a dispute. She will have to register with RTB then anyways. Up to you but I'd be getting as detailed a report as possible from plumber and opening a dispute in three months time. Cite you felt under duress to pay from your own resources to keep a roof over your head.

You don't need to take crap from this woman

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter if you are registered or not, you can still open a case with the RTB. Your rights are by no means affected.

Oh I didn't know that! Thought you had to be registered for them to get involved, good to know, thanks :)

flaneur wrote:
    Could you please contact your local TDs regarding that and also the media. If that was stated it is an absolute disgrace and someone needs to be facing an inquiry and disciplinary action.

flaneur wrote:
    The officer has absolutely no business whatsoever issuing “advice†like that!

flaneur wrote:
    It’s not in job description.

It was a fair few years ago now but I know what you mean, left me speechless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

....... wrote:

I presume Op doesn't want the RTB getting on to the landlord before part 4 kicks in.

Keep the receipts as others have said and wait until after the six months and then request that she gets the seals fixed.

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost and how he fixed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

pilly wrote: »

Keep the receipts as others have said and wait until after the six months and then request that she gets the seals fixed.

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost and how he fixed it?
    agree with that. Also the seals are usually tiny little rubber rings who cost next to nothing.(not sure about the work replacing them but I've replaced the bones on my taps with no issue) Taps only though. if you can. get it done, keep the receipts and convo and once your in the protection zone claim it back.

Advertisement