Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Bulbs

Options
  • 29-08-2017 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

This is probably a silly question. I have large tubs that are still flowering with some lavendar, petunias, marigolds etc. These are still flowering and I want to plant some bulbs for next spring. Can I plant them into the tub with the existing plants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Only the lavender is going to last past first frost so plant without disturbing them. You may have a problem with the fertility of the soil but you could add some when the plants are removed. Remember to plant in layers keeping the bigger bulbs deepest.

I would get some new pots for bulbs and keep existing pots for summer. Cheap plastic pots can be painted and look nice.
    You can then let the bulbs die back naturally and not be in a hurry to remove them for the new summer bedding. Bulbs also prefer a more open compost.
    If you line the sides of the pots with bubble plastic before putting in the compost, they will be insulated from frost.

Also means you can find a sheltered spot for the lavender.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sinead_Hanley

Thanks for the advice -makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

If you are growing anything alongside lavender it should not be particularly thirsty as lavender does not thrive in moist conditions nd over watering can kill it.

Advertisement