Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 speed chainring on a 9 speed crank?

Options
  • 29-08-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Boards hive mind: I have a 9 speed Tiagra triple crank. I'm replacing (with new for old) the cassette and chain but as the large and small chainrings on the crank are basically fine I only need to replace the middle one. However, I can't seem to find a 9-speed chain ring. Is there any reason to think a ten speed chain ring would present any difficulties for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I believe the width of the chain is different between a 9 and 10 speed... So while it should work it may wear chains faster...

Im open to correction on this though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I suspect the ring will wear faster as it's thinner than a 9sp. I have a suspicion that shifting from small to middle will be poorer but I don't know how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Suboptimal bit should probably work is my guess. The only real problem I would foresee would be if the width of the spider arms changed slightly between the 9 and 10 speed systems which may mean that your current chainring bolts are either too long or too short.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dunno how thick each component is, but here's a recent experience of extra wear due to a thin chainring:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104405284&postcount=7537

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Thanks all. As it turns out I've already been running a 10 speed middle chainring and it has worn to a band playing. Regardless I'm going to do the same thing again as the only alternative I can envisage is to replace the entire drivetrain, including derailleurs and shifters which makes little sense for a frame which - though beloved - is now 14 years old.

• Advertisement

Plastik wrote: »
    Suboptimal bit should probably work is my guess. The only real problem I would foresee would be if the width of the spider arms changed slightly between the 9 and 10 speed systems which may mean that your current chainring bolts are either too long or too short.

The BCD's the same - 130mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

rflynnr wrote: »
    The BCD's the same - 130mm.

That's the spacing between the bolts from each other, not what I was referring to. If the 10s chainring has a slimmer interface than the 9s chainring around the bolt hole at the spider, then there is a possibility your bolts may be too long.

Plastik wrote: »
    That's the spacing between the bolts from each other, not what I was referring to. If the 10s chainring has a slimmer interface than the 9s chainring around the bolt hole at the spider, then there is a possibility your bolts may be too long.

Ah - I see your point and, given that the 10 speed ring is slimmer than the 9 speed, logically the bolts should be too long. Nonetheless, in practice (again it turns out I'm already running a 10 speed chain ring), there doesn't seem to be an issue.

In further news, I am pricing buying elements of a new groupset. To my surprise I can probably get a Tiagra 4700 triple crankset, front and rear derailleur and shifters for about €185 so I may yet go that route. (I do like this bike.)

Advertisement