Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Canister filter emptying itself

Options
  • 29-08-2017 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've built a basic 400ml canister filter to use on a small 14L tank.

I've been doing some testing and decided to submerge the pump inside the canister and have it suck water through the top cap, through the filter and media and pump it out at the bottom. This was largely due to the pumps shape/design that I chose this option.

Also I thought causing a vacuum and sucking water into the filter and pumping it out would reduce pressure compared to pumping water into it.

I set it up and left it running checking for leaks.
    However within approximately 10 minutes the water level reduced to the impeller level causing air to pump out too.

Has anybody else experienced this? I tried restricting flow with pipe clamps, but this only extemded running time by 5 or so minutes. The pump is from a 150lph internal filter.

Any advise would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

I think I got this sorted......
    Added a valve to top lid and vented the airpocket, ran for 5 hours while in work, kept stable flow rate and level in canister and container of water!

Advertisement