Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service - What's included?

Options
  • 29-08-2017 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

My bike (trek hybrid) has been sitting out in the elements since Christmas. I want to get back on it but it's looking a little rough. I don't have the time or the inclination to get it road ready so want to just drop it into my LBS and get it all sorted.

Have never gotten a service from a shop so was just wondering what's actually included? Would they replace rusty screws/bolts and the like as standard, or is this extra? I'd also like cables replace and the chain (I have a new one I can supply). I think the cassette is okay, or would be with a bit of a clean. I need to have a closer look. Any idea of a general costs for this stuff?

I'd likely be heading to Think Bike in Rathmines, if others would recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Great crew in Think Bike in Rathmines. Easiest thing might be just to bring it down to them and ask what the service would cost and provide. Depends very much on what condition the components are in. Might be an idea to clean it yourself first to get an idea of what is likely to be involved. If it's been sitting in the elements for six months I'd say cable inners and outers and chain are going to need replacing. If you have a new cassette, put it on at the same time. I'd also look to changing the brake blocks and be checking the tyres for weather damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that it's going to be your LBS, but this might give a good guideline of what you might expect from a service:

http://www.cyclezone.ie/services

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another one here from beecycles who'd also be well regarded around these parts; http://www.beecycles.net/workshop.php

Advertisement