Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax, doe and insurance.. Which comes first??

Options
  • 29-08-2017 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi there, I've just bought an old campervan (citroen relay 1996) that is in pretty good condition, but the tax and doe has expired and the van is registered as off the road. I want to get the van street legal, but don't know where to start. Can anyone tell me which order I need to get doe tax and insurance, please?

I live in greystones so if anyone knows a place that can do chassis and sill repairs, that would be great too..

Thanks a mill.. 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You need insurance before you can tax it and it's illegal to use the road without tax, use includes parking. Don't know what the story is with the CVRT, new name for DOE, but for cars the only exemption for driving without an NCT is if it came off a non attached Island or has failed, so I'd assume that the rules for commercials are similar.

So with no tax or no insurance or no CVRT you need to trailer it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Del2005 wrote: »
    You need insurance before you can tax it and it's illegal to use the road without tax, use includes parking. Don't know what the story is with the CVRT, new name for DOE, but for cars the only exemption for driving without an NCT is if it came off a non attached Island or has failed, so I'd assume that the rules for commercials are similar.

So with no tax or no insurance or no CVRT you need to trailer it around.

I would say insure it then tax it, you can do this without moving the van. You could then get it towed to a VRT centre.

If I had those in place I would probably chance driving it to the VRT centre if it was close. Technically it's illegal but if you had your paperwork to show you were on the way to the centre it would take a right prick of a guard to do you for it (although they do exist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You won't be able to tax it until you have the Doe done.
    It must be insured to be on the road and insured to be taxed.
    Best suggestion is a trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

OK, thanks for the feedback, so it sounds like doe first.. Just checked with the insurance companies and they want to see a doe cert before they'll cover it..

I hope there are some decent mechanics close by

Advertisement