Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to lucan

• 29-08-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi there
    Looking to move to Lucan next yr.. have been watching house prices creep up in the past year or so.. foxborogh and Liffey valley estate seem lowest price.. can anyone who lives in either give me pros and cons of their estates?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's a reason of these low prices... avoid the area and the areas immediately east of it imo. Far north near the N4 near Fairways, Lucan village itself and most of Clondalkin south of the train line (with the exception of the west of it) is fine to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lived in Liffey Valley Park for seven years. I bought from new and they were Celtic Tiger built, very poor finish.

It had a very high percentage of renters: rented to EHB. Apart from one other family, I was the only Irish person living on the road and felt very isolated.

It may have improved with the property crash and more owner/occupiers moving in, but maybe take a drive round before committing.

Would not live in it again and would not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Frescati

I live in Liffey Valley Park and yes more owner occupiers moved in during the recession so it has a more settled neighbourly feel. It is a quiet estate and is very handy for the M50 and is only a short walk from Liffey Valley which is great with the new restaurants etc that have opened up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Frescati wrote: »
    I live in Liffey Valley Park and yes more owner occupiers moved in during the recession so it has a more settled neighbourly feel. It is a quiet estate and is very handy for the M50 and is only a short walk from Liffey Valley which is great with the new restaurants etc that have opened up there.

Thanks a mill, that's why I wanted an opinion from someone living there presently.. I know they hadn't a great name in early days with lots of rentals etc, thought they might be more owner occupied now after the bust!

Looking for nice house with nice green for my kids .. actually collected something from a house in Liffey valley estate last year and thought it looked lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

jc11 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, that's why I wanted an opinion from someone living there presently.. I know they hadn't a great name in early days with lots of rentals etc, thought they might be more owner occupied now after the bust!

Looking for nice house with nice green for my kids .. actually collected something from a house in Liffey valley estate last year and thought it looked lovely!

Probably better looking for a nice cul de sac than around green areas there is a lot of cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Amc2017

Hi,
    I am also considering moving to Lucan, looking at new builds in Somerton on Newcastle Rd, not familiar with the area, any thoughts would be great.
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Amc2017 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am also considering moving to Lucan, looking at new builds in Somerton on Newcastle Rd, not familiar with the area, any thoughts would be great.
    Thanks a mill

Looks a good location. You will have a choice of 25a or 25b bus. Close to supervalu, park, gaa club etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That would hardly put someone off buying in a location. Cash in transit robberies happen everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kubernetes

anewme wrote: »
    Lived in Liffey Valley Park for seven years. I bought from new and they were Celtic Tiger built, very poor finish.

I live in Liffey Valley Park, never had an issue, actually find it quiet and very settled now. As for build quality perhaps you were unlucky but our place is comparatively good (by Irish standards, this is my fourth home in Dublin)
    Apart from one other family, I was the only Irish person living on the road and felt very isolated.

Not sure what to say to this comment except that yes the area is very diverse which I actually prefer. (I'm Irish too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Kubernetes wrote: »
    I live in Liffey Valley Park, never had an issue, actually find it quiet and very settled now. As for build quality perhaps you were unlucky but our place is comparatively good (by Irish standards, this is my fourth home in Dublin)

Not sure what to say to this comment except that yes the area is very diverse which I actually prefer. (I'm Irish too)

I wasn't unlucky with the build...our phase anyway, they were typical Celtic tiger bhroen up all of the people on my road had problems. Cheapest materials, blue plastic kitchens, doors that did not close properly, very poor quality. I would not buy a home by that builder again.

In relation to diversity, a mix is good, but it was a real challenge being almost the only Irish person on the road. I live alone and felt it very isolating. I would not live in a location again ever I was very much the minority.

What happened was When house prices rose rapidly most ppl s house prices doubled so they moved out and got a new house while renting out their house in Liffey valley park. It has a good rental yield. As a result most of the houses were rented to eastern health board so they were not very well kept. Also the population was extremely transient. I was getting very depressed there so felt it best to move where I had someone I could call on and more of a community spirit. I'm much happier in myself where i am now, so that's what's important for me. These type of things do have a bearing on your overall wellbeing and should not be underestimated.

I'm gone 8 years now, so hopefully the areas improved. If were to move back to lucan again though, I would pick a different area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kubernetes

anewme wrote: »
    I wasn't unlucky with the build...our phase anyway, they were typical Celtic tiger bhroen up all of the people on my road had problems. Cheapest materials, blue plastic kitchens, doors that did not close properly, very poor quality. I would not buy a home by that builder again.

Fair enough and sorry to hear that, though I can state that all the houses in the estate were not built to same spec then as that does not sound like the part where I am at all.

Advertisement