Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't like the way OceanFM is going

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    And what do you think the song was about?

:D

Sky rockets in flight? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Just to let ye know, they have a listener survey running:- https://www.oceanfm.ie/ocean-fm-listener-survey/

Vlove wrote: »
    Just to let ye know, they have a listener survey running:- https://www.oceanfm.ie/ocean-fm-listener-survey/

thanks, I see that survey last night and started filling it out , but then for some reason the page automatically refreshed and didnt save any of the stuff i filled out - I shall try again today

I filled it and let them know what I thought of their country music policy!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I filled it and let them know what I thought of their country music policy!

theres only one word ... starts with S and ends in Hite :D

• Advertisement

thanks, I see that survey last night and started filling it out , but then for some reason the page automatically refreshed and didnt save any of the stuff i filled out - I shall try again today

Yeah i filled it out today and told them to make it attractive to young people as well, not just for the ol ones who like irish country music and also add variety!

Yeah i filled it out today and told them to make it attractive to young people as well, not just for the ol ones who like irish country music and also add variety!

good for you, too right as well - they should listen to the whole community to where they are broadcasting to - all ages, all ethnicities/settlers from other places in the world than Ireland, all religions (or no religions) , all walks of life now grace this area which they are broadcasting to these days has a very extensive community now ... not all are farmers (sorry to generalise all farmers liking country music - but maybe its true) or are living back in the 80's - that station needs pulling up by the ears into the 21st century.

Good job I aint running the station, i'd:

Ditch the C&W until after 7pm/8pm,
    Ditch the Religious Programs,
    Move the sport show on Friday to after 7pm
    Do the farming news later on an night (if they have to have farming news)
    Play a mix of up to date and popular oldies (not too oldies) songs throughout day.
    Do radio bingo maybe at 6pm and death notices then, or just let people go online to get the death notices.
    Have some lively happy presenters on the shows in the daytime

good for you, too right as well - they should listen to the whole community to where they are broadcasting to - all ages, all ethnicities/settlers from other places in the world than Ireland, all religions (or no religions) , all walks of life now grace this area which they are broadcasting to these days has a very extensive community now ... not all are farmers (sorry to generalise all farmers liking country music - but maybe its true) or are living back in the 80's - that station needs pulling up by the ears into the 21st century.

Good job I aint running the station, i'd:

Ditch the C&W until after 7pm/8pm,
    Ditch the Religious Programs,
    Move the sport show on Friday to after 7pm
    Do the farming news later on an night (if they have to have farming news)
    Play a mix of up to date and popular oldies (not too oldies) songs throughout day.
    Do radio bingo maybe at 6pm and death notices then, or just let people go online to get the death notices.
    Have some lively happy presenters on the shows in the daytime

I totally agree with you as well in introducing attraction to all walks of life! Yeah like its just pure bland that they are not bothering in trying to beat other competitors (iradio North west,Today Fm,etc) regardless if its a small radio station or outside of Dublin! They were advertising jobs there recently and like great they are employing people but would it be worth it to actually work there if they aint putting themselves out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I wonder if they will actually take on board comments or not????:rolleyes:

I just found this from 2003 when Northwest Radio's Licence got revoked from the (BCI) in favour of OceanFM.

in particular apparently OceanFM stated this at the time:
    "Ocean FM, in its submission, had said that the listeners of North West Radio were older, conservative and from a lower social class and that implied they were not as intelligent as others, he said"

nice way to get listeners on your side from the start isnt it...

Protest in Sligo as radio licence revoked

in their bid for the licence in 2003 this is what Oceanfm submitted to the BCI :

The group claim that independent research revealed a significant gap in the service currently provided by NWR with the station being widely perceived as one which caters for older listeners with a taste for country music.

"Stations like 2FM and Today FM have stolen the lion's share of the under 45 year old market in the North West. A total of 83% per cent of people surveyed said they would listen to a new local station and only 39% of these were NWR listeners. Both younger radio listeners and advertisers are demanding a station that is more broadly based,"

Ironic that OceanFM now should go down the same road as the radio station it was replacing and now OceanFm "caters for older listeners with a taste for country music"

Radio station faces bids from two groups

• Advertisement

• Well if my recent channel surfing is a good enough indication, they are still playing the same old ghastly country music.

So I would assume that they either ignored the results of their recent listener survey, or that the respondents largely expressed a preference for "country" music.

Advertisement