Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Drogheda rapid charger

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

unkel wrote: »
    Most slow ESB chargers that break down are no longer fixed or replaced. Have a look at the ESB map and you'll see lots of them out of action.

Spotted that only 1 CCS charger out of action at the moment, which is the one that should never be out of action, the one in Donegal!

The ESB aren't going to be rushing out to repair chargers to give people free electricity, why would they? Now if we were paying for their use, you can be damn sure they'd be out in a flash to repair them. Unless we as the EV community accept that we should be paying for the use of these chargers, the infrastructure will never get to where it needs to be. I wish people would realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

QuantumP wrote: »
    Now if we were paying for their use, you can be damn sure they'd be out in a flash to repair them.

No they wouldn't. There's far too little revenue from a slow charger for any commercial entity to be interested in exploiting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The ESB aren't going to be rushing out to repair chargers to give people free electricity, why would they? Now if we were paying for their use, you can be damn sure they'd be out in a flash to repair them. Unless we as the EV community accept that we should be paying for the use of these chargers, the infrastructure will never get to where it needs to be. I wish people would realise that.

There is no evidence that taken as a whole the current charger network in Ireland is commercially viable.

Hence you can't contend that merely because we are paying, things will improve. In my view they are not connected.

Street side charging , requiring reserved parking , is a completely non scalable solution so has virtually no future as EVs numbers grow. Existing ones will be swamped and no new ones will be installed in any numbers , in Dublin Paying for parking and then paying for the electricity makes the whole idea complete nonsense financially

No they wouldn't. There's far too little revenue from a slow charger for any commercial entity to be interested in exploiting it

Its very simple, if a company is making a loss on something they will no go out of their way to increase that loss. If a company is generating revenue from something they will ensure this facility is readily available. Do you genuinely think if the ESB were generating revenue from chargers we wouldn't see an improvement in their uptime?

BoatMad wrote: »
    There is no evidence that taken as a whole the current charger network in Ireland is commercially viable.

Hence you can't contend that merely because we are paying, things will improve. In my view they are not connected.

Street side charging , requiring reserved parking , is a completely non scalable solution so has virtually no future as EVs numbers grow. Existing ones will be swamped and no new ones will be installed in any numbers , in Dublin Paying for parking and then paying for the electricity makes the whole idea complete nonsense financially

The evidence lies in that the ESB are hemorrhaging money by providing free charging. This is clearly not sustainable and the users are suffering as a result. If they were to charge users for the service it would improve. That for me is unquestionable. Once they do that, our infrastructure improves, more people buy EVs as a result, shopping centres etc. see an opportunity and so it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Its very simple, if a company is making a loss on something they will no go out of their way to increase that loss. If a company is generating revenue from something they will ensure this facility is readily available. Do you genuinely think if the ESB were generating revenue from chargers we wouldn't see an improvement in their uptime?

You're missing my point. The revenue from slow charge points would be less than the costs to maintain them. It's not commercially interesting to exploit the current network of slow chargers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Oh but yes they do!

There's a lot less margin on the typical punter spending €40 on petrol or diesel than on the average EV owner spending €0.00 on electricity charging their car, but buying a roll or a snack and a drink in the shop while they're killing time waiting 20 minutes until their vehicle is charged. Every EV owner in the country will tell you that free electricity actually means spending quite a bit on other things :D

+1
    Topaz makes more money from me charging my car for 20 mins while I buy tea, bar, milk and bread than if I went in and filled up her ICE with €80 worth of diesel.

Advertisement