Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I do if I'm not ready to work?

• 29-08-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Little info on me. I have suffered with anxiety, mainly social and health anxiety since I was a teenager, now in my very late 20's, it hasn't changed much. I also have depression, and was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroid, and am on medication which I will be on for life. Now, about 3 months ago, I had to leave a course I was put on by Turas Nua because I was having really bad stress and panic, and my doctor started giving me a weekly medical cert. The lady who I send them into every week, the welfare department I think it is? My doctor said he can sign these for as long as I need them, which I know there is a limit, but the thoughts of facing Turas Nua and working again in an environment, surrounded by people, noise, already gets me agitated and panicky.

My doctor is very good to me, but I know I can't stay on the medical certs for very much longer, not that I know of anyway. But I'm not ready to return to the working environment, and I haven't heard anything in all this time from the lady from the welfare department, or officer. I don't think someone like me is entitled to disability or any kind of allowance are they? I can feel myself getting worse and worse with so many things, I don't sleep well, collapsing asleep at 5am, I either feel aggressively hungry or not at all until I feel dizzy and drowsy from not eating. I never feel happy, not at all, have no energy, my body aches, bones ache and I feel like I'm lost all the time, or spacing out.

I don't have any kind of social life whatsoever for someone my age, and I spend my time at home.

So what do I do? How do I sort all this out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You could try and apply for disability allowance because of the anxiety, your doctor needs to fill in a form agreeing that it severely restricts your ability to work.
    Counselling would be very helpful for you too I would think.

Being hypothyroid isn't a big deal really once it's managed properly and you get to the correct dosage of meds, if you're only newly diagnosed that can take a few months. It's important that you help your body by getting into a proper sleep routine and eating healthily.
    Being underactive can affect anxiety too so maybe when it's balanced properly you'll feel a little better.
    It's not something that would stop you working or is classed as a disability though tbh.

Do speak to your doctor about applying for disability and think about counselling, try to have small goals to get you through the week too.

Advertisement