Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bizarre Airplane or Airport behaviour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Not bizarre as such.

I don't normally have a drink before flying, but this particular time I had two pints.
    As we are taxying out for takeoff, I look forward to them switching off the seatbelt sign so I can go to the loo.
    Sod's law dictated that over Wales the pilots decide that an immediate return to Dublin is needed due to some problem.
    Now off the plane, but still "airside" in a small room and sudden very long queue
    forms for the loo, made longer by the fact that each passenger must be accompanied personally to the door of the lav by just one DAA official.

Time passes, the queue moves slowly,uncomfortableness grows. The guy in front of me is a member of our largest ethnic minority but is queueing like all the rest.
    As we approach the head of the queue, a friend of my traveller companion walks up to "have a word" with his friend. With sinking heart I know what's coming next.
    When my queuing companion's turn comes and he goes off, his friend says "Sure no problem boss let me just go next after you"
    "No way" say I, "there's people behind you queueing, you can go to the back like everyone else".
    In bad grace he goes off. I get pats on the back all round from those behind me in a kind of "I wouldn't have the nerve" sort of way.

I am led to the loo(is there ever a better feeling of relief?) and return to Mrs CML who of course is sitting right beside the guy to whom I denied relief. What he had to say was not complimentary, and Mrs CML was somewhat perturbed to discover that I was the object of his ire.
    But god did suddenly intervene as the flight reboarded at that momemnt, and also luckily we were sat nowhere near my new friends and I never saw them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Only time I experienced anything bad on a flight was on an Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi to Bangkok. A group of men got on and were incredibly rude and disrespectful to the female staff, demanding food and coffee and actually grabbing some of the hostesses as they walked by. One particular girl was tormented the entire flight, and just as we were coming on to land she almost lost it with them as she as was grabbed and asked for yet more coffee.

They were sitting in the first row of seats when you get on and as my wife and I were getting off we looked in at where they were sitting and to say the place was left in a mess would be an understatement. Every receptacle they had used, be it coffee cups and even their leftovers from the in-flight meal, had been dumped on the floor in front of them. I felt sorry for the flight attendants and whoever had to clean up the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Sometimes airlines give you boarding zones. I remember once I was in Zone B. I sat at my gate reading, the crew announce to board families and the disabled. I stay put. Then they announce they are boarding Zone A, I stay put. Then Zone B is next, I stand up and head to the desk and wait behind people standing in front of the desk, none of them are moving or going forward. Eventually I ask "are ye guys boarding" and they respond "Oh no, we're in Zone D/C/E" and internally I scream "THEN WHY IN THE NAME OF LIVING **** ARE YOU STANDING IN THE FúCking WAY!!"

Instead I just go "Oh ok, I'll just schooch past you there as I'm in Zone B"

This is the EXACT kind of nonsense that drives me crazy in airports.
    People are idiots sometimes.
    It's just an airport. Follow the instructions, be on time, follow the signs and just quietly get on the goddamn plane!!
    If you need to P*ss, do it before you board at one of the many toilet facilities. If you're going to drink, don't go overboard and get wasted.
    Don't hit on the Airline staff. They are at work trying to do a very difficult job an don't need to deal with being groped.
    If you don't have priority boarding then don't waste everyone's time by trying to jump into the priority boarding queue.
    Just use your head!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Was on a flight a few days ago where a lot of the men started taking their clothes off and wrapping themselves in what looked like two large white towels.....
    No one onboard battered an eyelid with this behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

smurfjed wrote:
    Was on a flight a few days ago where a lot of the men started taking their clothes off and wrapping themselves in what looked like two large white towels..... No one onboard battered an eyelid with this behaviour.

You're joking right?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

smurfjed wrote: »
    Was on a flight a few days ago where a lot of the men started taking their clothes off and wrapping themselves in what looked like two large white towels.....
    No one onboard battered an eyelid with this behaviour.

So a lot of the men managed to wrap themselves up in two large towels,was it some magical trick or was it more sexual in nature?? just how many men can you wrap with two large towels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

On a flight from Charlotte to Dublin few years ago with my OH. We're sitting in the middle block of 4 seats and another couple are sitting next to us. Just after takeoff they start kissing and cuddling. I presumed they were newly weds or something. As it was a night flight they dimmed the lights after the meal seevice and the American couple start going at eachother like two 14 year olds at an underage disco, this continued all the way into Dublin. I wouldnt mind but they were like in their late 30s and Doctors (I read their immigration form). They reminded me of them wacky religious couples that had been saving themselves for their wedding night as your man like he'd never touched a woman in his life or they had never been alone together before. Disturbing to say the least 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

On a flight from Charlotte to Dublin few years ago with my OH. We're sitting in the middle block of 4 seats and another couple are sitting next to us. Just after takeoff they start kissing and cuddling. I presumed they were newly weds or something. As it was a night flight they dimmed the lights after the meal seevice and the American couple start going at eachother like two 14 year olds at an underage disco, this continued all the way into Dublin. I wouldnt mind but they were like in their late 30s and Doctors (I read their immigration form). They reminded me of them wacky religious couples that had been saving themselves for their wedding night as your man like he'd never touched a woman in his life or they had never been alone together before. Disturbing to say the least 😂

When reading that my dirty mind was wondering if she started to yank the yoke off him when the lights dimmed. Ye spoiled it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

In Valencia Airport last year, I got stuck in a queue behind a couple who were very angry to learn they couldn't carry a statue built out of bullet casings/old bullets in their hand luggage. Couldn't understand why they weren't allowed this chunk of old ammunition and demanding to talk to the manager. A policeman came over and just burst out laughing when the airport security guys showed it to him.

Then the woman insisted she wanted to hold her husband's hand and walk through the scanners together and got annoyed again that she wasn't allowed do that. They were about 60 and clearly tourists who had to have flown to get there in the first place (ie not their first time experiencing airport security).

Also, I'll give a special shout-out to the woman who got up while the plane was taxiing to take a photo on her iPad, and to the man who asked one of the stewards for a coffee while they were doing the pre-take-off security demo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Was on a flight once and this guy from Cork starts popping a few Neurofen and then proceeds to engage in a bout of vigorous self abuse in full view of fellow passengers at 20,000 ft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jaysus god help these people if they were on hard drugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

The people who feel the need he start queuing the minute somebody from the airline turns up at the gate the normally all end up standing in a queue for 30min while staff get everything ready

My other halfs father does it we all on holidays together all with prebooked seat he still does it with alias of other passengers why I dunno
    While I sit down relaxing looking at them

The plane won't leave an sooner just because you make a QUEUE goddammit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

On a flight from Tel Aviv I got on the plane and there was a lady in my seat. I'd planned on getting some sleep in the window seat so did the awkward Irish pointing at your ticket then pointing at the seat thing.
    She moved to the aisle and her other half stayed in the middle. Nothing out of the ordinary so far.

I'd my headphones round my neck and was waiting for the plane to take off when the man started chatting. It started with the usual small talk then he hit me with
    "Are you a believer?"
    I was about to break into the Monkees but was foolishly polite and asked what he meant.
    "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour?"
    As soon as he turned to talk to the other lady, headphones on and pretended to be asleep until he really fell asleep. He left me a pamphlet when he got off the plane.

Always, always have headphones on your ears. Even if they're not plugged into anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

A short flight Cork to London. I was sitting with a small child on either side. They were in foul humor and thowing things at each other as well as thumping each other. The majority of the time they managed to just throw things at me and hit me. The air hostess had been down several times before we took off to ask them to contain themselves. After take off a woman sitting in the aisle seat behind me gave them both sandwiches and they thanked her and called her mummy. While getting chicken and mayo thrown at me I called the air hostess and told her where the mother was and offered to switch seats. The air hostess asked her and quite clearly she said "God no, I could do with the rest".

Flying London (i think) to Ho-chi Mihn, vietnam with BA. Sat besides an absolutely stunning girl and we hit it off immediately. There was a teenage boy on my other side. An air hostess came down congratulating us on our nuptials and gave us a bottle of champagne. Just as I was thinking this couldn't get any better a second air hostess came down and apologized of a mix up. BA's policy was for unaccompanied children to not have anyone sitting next to them so I had to move to the only available seat in the plane. It was next to the heaviest person I have ever seen on a plane who was wearing a thick leather jacket, snoring, sweating, one leg over my side and over spilling off the armrest to my side. On top of that the tv screen was broken. The guy had to have been a sumo wrestler. Went from best flight ever to worst very very quickly.

Flight with BA from Boston and the woman sitting on the aisle seat, middle seat empty, scratched the whole time. She clearly had some obsessive disorder as her arms were covered in old scars. This flight her feet and legs were the target. It wasn't long before she had blood running down both legs.
    Then she fell asleep. Face down on the middle seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

keano_afc wrote: »
    Only time I experienced anything bad on a flight was on an Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi to Bangkok. A group of men got on and were incredibly rude and disrespectful to the female staff, demanding food and coffee and actually grabbing some of the hostesses as they walked by. One particular girl was tormented the entire flight, and just as we were coming on to land she almost lost it with them as she as was grabbed and asked for yet more coffee.

They were sitting in the first row of seats when you get on and as my wife and I were getting off we looked in at where they were sitting and to say the place was left in a mess would be an understatement. Every receptacle they had used, be it coffee cups and even their leftovers from the in-flight meal, had been dumped on the floor in front of them. I felt sorry for the flight attendants and whoever had to clean up the mess.
    I bet they got the eye-drops in their last cups of coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

anna080 wrote: »
    Maybe she couldn't read and he was reading it to her? Sounds kinda sweet.

Na I'd reckon the husband sounds a bit whipped, probably helps her paint her toenails too. If it was a half decent book I'd probably close me eyes, relax and listen in . Much worse ways of spending a couple of hours on a plane now that I think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

i travel a lot for work but thankful not many issues have happen to me but this one is not so much bizare as it was annoying.I was in Athens with my boyfriend visiting his family.Last minute was informed i needed to be on next flight to Munich as soon as possible,Full business class, in economy,4,00am flight.i was extremely tired but thought fine,be back soon enough once this is sorted.At a window seat,one of the last to board. A man on isle with his teenager daughter beside him,que a loud «ugh!» as i was sitting down. [Woooo,Americans] She was grunting,groaning,sighing over and over.Her father gestures to the empty exit row and she moves. At takeoff her face was buried in her phone, airline staff telling her she cant use it during take off, «yeah,whatever»..., she relents.Feet go up on the seats beside her,she leaning against the emergency ext.Again staff tel out so she move herself in a way that she is not leaning but still has her feet off. 2of them fall asleep.I have to go wc so i tap on the dads shoulder.No response.i say to him «Sorry?» No response. « Entschuldigen?»No response. « Συγνώμη;»Again no response, so i just try to push past him,nearly falling in the process.similar thing coming back from wc. Maybe it was because i was so tired and my mood was low but they just angerd me so much. Rude people on a plane....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

On a flight from Tel Aviv I got on the plane and there was a lady in my seat. I'd planned on getting some sleep in the window seat so did the awkward Irish pointing at your ticket then pointing at the seat thing.
    She moved to the aisle and her other half stayed in the middle. Nothing out of the ordinary so far.

This looked so promising what with a lady in your seat and then ....
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    Flying London (i think) to Ho-chi Mihn, vietnam with BA. Sat besides an absolutely stunning girl and we hit it off immediately. There was a teenage boy on my other side. An air hostess came down congratulating us on our nuptials and gave us a bottle of champagne. Just as I was thinking this couldn't get any better a second air hostess came down and apologized of a mix up. BA's policy was for unaccompanied children to not have anyone sitting next to them so I had to move to the only available seat in the plane. It was next to the heaviest person I have ever seen on a plane who was wearing a thick leather jacket, snoring, sweating, one leg over my side and over spilling off the armrest to my side. On top of that the tv screen was broken. The guy had to have been a sumo wrestler. Went from best flight ever to worst very very quickly.

And again a stunning girl and ...
    :(
    I guess I am expecting too much from this thread ever since the stories about the Russians and Ukrainians.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    This looked so promising what with a lady in your seat and then ....

And again a stunning girl and ...
    :(
    I guess I am expecting too much from this thread ever since the stories about the Russians and Ukrainians.

I was being polite. Google Kyle and Rhonda from Road Trip. This pair could have been lifted straight from that movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I once got a flight from London to Dublin and my seat ended up being right in the middle of a family or two of about 16 what I believe to be Roma gypsies. The first thing the guy sitting beside me said was 'that's a nice watch you have there how much did it cost?''

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

OnDraught wrote: »
    Planes should be divided up with a section for people that want to sit in peace and not have to listen to other people's nonsense/kids. I'd pay extra for this.

I was once on a flight out of Amman where half the plane was full of people being made leave the country.
    These were people that have never been on a plane before who were bringing shopping bags of their belongings and food on board, not knowing they had assigned seats, not knowing how to close seatbelt buckles, walking around on take off and during the flight.
    It was a strange flight to be on to hear all the gasps when turbulence hit and when the plane landed.

But begorrah, not one of them stood up until the plane was taxi'd and the seatbelt light went off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Ryanair now print which door you should board through on your boarding pass.

If you are sitting in row 1 you board through the front door and so on.

You will continue to find people who board through the wrong door and blame the cabin crew for it when it is pointed out to them.

I suppose I should keep that in mind, so next time I show the nice Aer Lingus lady my ticket when entering the plane, and she points down the aisle as to say "your seat is that way", I won't give her the "no sh1t sherlock" look. Apparently there are people who genuinely need this sort of hint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

what always amazes me is the people who argue with Cabin crew or security.

You will never win, so don't even bother trying. Your civil rights get left at the entrance to the airport, if you don't like it, don't fly.

They seem to get away with whatever they want because they can just summon the police if anyone tries to pull them up on something. No incentive for them to give a good service

Twould make my life so much easier if I had a horde of armed henchmen to dispatch any prickly customers for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Two fat Americans acting personally offended that I (a) had the aisle seat - they asked for me to be moved so they could have the space! (b) actually wanted some overhead compartment space and (c) wouldn't share the sweets that I'd brought as my own snack on a flight from London to Dublin years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Not really weird but when I was young, my sisters and I were traveling with mum to Hong Kong with BA. They had separated us all in economy and my mum complained. We got upgraded to business class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

defrule wrote: »
    Not really weird but when I was young, my sisters and I were traveling with mum to Hong Kong with BA. They had separated us all in economy and my mum complained. We got upgraded to business class.

BA doing a Ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

The night after the Germany v Ireland match 3 years ago (the one where John O'Shea scored the injury time equaliser) I was flying from Dusseldorf back to Dublin. Trying to get to the airport was a disaster as the trains and busses had stopped running, and the autobahns were closed around the airport due to a security alert. Eventually got close enough to the airport in a taxi whose driver had some local knowledge. Flight was delayed, place was packed and German security was everywhere. Turns out there was a bomb scare in the airport. Eventually security queues were processed and I and several hundred celebrating Irish football supporters made our way to the gate. Further delays, which allowed even more celebrating, drinking and singing, until hours later they announced that the airport was completely closed and that the Dublin plane was in Cologne.
    So we were herded onto buses and driven down the Autobahn to Cologne airport. The real fun started in Cologne, where you could say the **** hit the fan. We all had to go through airport security again, which meant no liquids, which included all the duty free booze from Dusseldorf airport. Most of the Irish supporters were not very willing to part with their expensive purchases. I handed over a bottle of wine, but the gent behind me refused to give up 2 bottles of whiskey, and tried to drink it on the spot. Lots of name calling, chanting, and standoffs ensued, and more security was called. I moved on, so I don't know what happened the protesters, but I'm sure some of them did not get through.
    Eventually got back to Dublin the following morning. Found out there was actually a WWII bomb in Dusseldorf airport. Still have the email from Aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm all for a good time but a guy sitting beside me one particular time, part of a stag, was about 40-45 years old, absolutely powering through drinks at around 10am and roaring random phrases sporadically - every time one of his mates would roar something back but there was no actual conversation as such. At one point he was just literally making gutteral noises every few minutes - no words, just a bizarre noise like Bat Dad from South Park in between gulps of beer.
    ?".

This reminds me of a flight I was on with my family 2 Christmases ago. Going to Fuerteventura.

There was a guy in (I'd say) his 50s. He was absolutely flutered and kept barking out the same line every few minutes, I think it went something like "Get your knickers down, the boys are back in town" and he kept hugging another man around the same age, talking about how they were going to 'rip the place up'.

Anyway, when we landed it became apparent that he wasn't on a stag, but with his very embarrassed wife and young daughter :o he didn't even seem to know the guy he kept hugging. That guy scarpered with his own family as soon as we hit the terminal.

We were behind the drunk guy and his family in the Taxi queue and the wife got into the taxi with the kid and wouldn't let him into the cab. Pushed him away and got the driver to drive off :o

My heart went out to the kid. That was her holiday ruined I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Flying to New York one time, hear loud screaming coming from the back of the plane. Screams of pain not drunkeness or anything. About 90 minutes in, way over the atlantic one of the cabin crew come over the PA and ask is there a doctor on board. I don't think there was so this poor dude suffered all the way to NY with whatever he has.

When we landed we were told to stay in our seats, they opened the doors and a load of medical people ran down the aisle. Kept us there for a good while before we were allowed off. Never found out if the guy was OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Flying to New York one time, hear loud screaming coming from the back of the plane. Screams of pain not drunkeness or anything. About 90 minutes in, way over the atlantic one of the cabin crew come over the PA and ask is there a doctor on board. I don't think there was so this poor dude suffered all the way to NY with whatever he has.

When we landed we were told to stay in our seats, they opened the doors and a load of medical people ran down the aisle. Kept us there for a good while before we were allowed off. Never found out if the guy was OK.

It was that Russian bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

10 hr flight from London to Seattle, couldn't check in online so I have to be assigned at the airport and I get the sh*ttiest seat near the rear toilets. And the passenger seated next to me is an old ex-Boeing engineer who wanted to talk about his toy train collection. Nice gent, but enough...

I also started to throw up from food poisoning once about 2 hrs into a 10 hr flight from London to Cancún. Couldn't make it to the toilet in time... embarassing and so desperately sorry for all the other passengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

On an interminable journey from London to Seattle one time and had a good laugh off a girl across the aisle from me as she looked like she was losing the will to leave as some old codger was boring the ear off her by droning on about some hobby or other. It got so bad I think she put her own fingers back her throat at least five time to induce vomit just to get away from him. Think she sicked all over herself at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was on a flight home from Paris a few years ago and the couple in front of me were so lovey dovey. I could hear the noise of the smooching, and he kept leaning in whispering to her, touching her hair etc etc..
    Then the plane lands and they share another kiss. Few arse grabs on the way out. Smoochy smooch.. Grand.

But the fcuking weirdest part was their behaviour totally changed once we arrived at the baggage collection. We were all stood around the belt and they didn't acknowledge one another. Both grabbed their bags individually and off they went on their separate ways. Clearly having an affair I thought! Then the saddest thing was when we walked through to arrivals, the dude's wife and kids were there waiting for him and the kid was shouting "daddy!!".. meanwhile off walks his mistress out of the airport alone and his wife was none the wiser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Flying out of Riga in the last year arrived at passport control a hour and half before hand , loads of time youd think ,

there was a flight to Israel leaving around the same time . about 100 older people came marching up to the top of the line and pushed in waving Israeli passports and shouting about being late

any one who objected was shouted down and pushed aside by them in a most ignorant manner ,

two more desks were opened to try and get everyone through but more kept pushing to the front of the line resulting in me oly just getting to the gate as it closed and being that dick who is last on the plane .

never seen such obnoxious behavior by such a large group of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Did you feel like spilling the beans to the man's wife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Flying out of Riga in the last year arrived at passport control a hour and half before hand , loads of time youd think ,

there was a flight to Israel leaving around the same time . about 100 older people came marching up to the top of the line and pushed in waving Israeli passports and shouting about being late

any one who objected was shouted down and pushed aside by them in a most ignorant manner ,

two more desks were opened to try and get everyone through but more kept pushing to the front of the line resulting in me oly just getting to the gate as it closed and being that dick who is last on the plane .

Must gave thought you were Palestinians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

branie2 wrote: »
    Did you feel like spilling the beans to the man's wife?

Na. None of my business. Except when it comes to unloading it all on t'internet. Obvs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Was sat beside a large American chap on the way over to New York, early morning flight.

I was in a hazy half-napping state and not particularly hungry but before I could say no the air hostess had already plonked down the hot meal. I ignored it and drifted back to my half-napping state.

About 5 minutes later I awoke to the guy tapping me asking if he could have my meal before the air hostess came back to collect it.

Grand, says I.

Trying to drift off and again he taps me. The air hostesses are bringing down small tubs of ice-cream and he wanted me to be awake to take mine and give it to him.

I gave it to him but I did not feel good about it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I was flying to Philadelphia from Dublin (T2) and approaching the boarding gate there was this cafe selling alcohol, as well as breakfast and coffee etc. It was the only one nearby so it was busy, it was about 8am.

As we walked down along the hall towards the cafe we passed this loud obnoxious man in a wheelchair with a much younger companion. He was cross and contankerous and very unpleasant during the brief moment we were near him. We went down and joined the long que, and were almost at the top when these two arrived at the cafe.

She joined the que and he proceeded to bulldoze everyone out of his way as he pushed past the que to the top. Nobody said anything but everyone seemed a bit taken aback. The lady served him, then proceeded to ask for payment, so at this point he starts roaring at his companion, demanding she come to the counter to pay the lady and order. The poor woman was scarlet, and was apooogusing profusely as she made her way to him. He loudly told her to stop apologising, that none of us were in a wheelchair, he was and "they can deal" with it.

He was so hateful, rude and aggressive, it was thoroughly bizarre.

Another time I was flying from Dublin to stansted and was eating a muffin waiting to board and this weirdo just kept staring at me so I asked him if he wanted a bite of it, he looked thoroughly horrified and didn't even respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On an interminable journey from London to Seattle one time and had a good laugh off a girl across the aisle from me as she looked like she was losing the will to leave as some old codger was boring the ear off her by droning on about some hobby or other. It got so bad I think she put her own fingers back her throat at least five time to induce vomit just to get away from him. Think she sicked all over herself at one stage.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

mynamejeff wrote: »

Having worked in the travel industry I can tell you that Israelis are pretty much without exception the rudest and most ignorant people when travelling in a group. Truly vile and obnoxious to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I used to get the 6.50 flight to brussels and back same day 9pm on a regular basis. My meetings were at the airport and were generally over by 2, so O developed a nice little coffee and bar crawl round the airport but generally ended up bored stiff by the gate on the way home. The flight to Dublin always left the same gate as one to Israel. There was a coke machine in the corner and all the people on the Israeli flight used to kneel and pray to the drinks machine. Obviously this faced in Mecca (although to this day I have no idea if going to Israel this is a fact). I must say I found this extremely funny. The bar crawl before hand may have helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

amtc wrote: »
    I used to get the 6.50 flight to brussels and back same day 9pm on a regular basis. My meetings were at the airport and were generally over by 2, so O developed a nice little coffee and bar crawl round the airport but generally ended up bored stiff by the gate on the way home. The flight to Dublin always left the same gate as one to Israel. There was a coke machine in the corner and all the people on the Israeli flight used to kneel and pray to the drinks machine. Obviously this faced in Mecca (although to this day I have no idea if going to Israel this is a fact). I must say I found this extremely funny. The bar crawl before hand may have helped.

Em.... I'm not sure they face Mecca. Unless in a tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

That's what made it funny! To this day I regret I never asked.

Mind you (although having quite a good Masters) I can be extremely blonde. I complained after 7 years of doing this trip that the escalators in brussels airport were constantly out of order. My boss cracked up and told me they only started when you stood on them. Not my finest hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Flying from Philadelphia to Dublin connecting on the way back to Vegas a few years back.  Waiting at the gate and there is an American couple (mid to late 40's I'd say, looked like a couple of backward hicks) waiting to board the plane too.  They proceed to fill their large coke they purchased from the fast food place with their duty free so they could drink it on the plane.  Fair enough. 
    Two of them are p*ssed on the plane and the guy proceeds to go into the toilet and thinks its a good idea to light up a cigarette.  Air hostess had been watching them and knew what the craic was.  She lay into him when he came out and made him show her the cigarette making sure that it wasn't in the bin.  She was asking him if he realised that if the toilets went up in flames, that we are 30,000 miles above the Atlantic Ocean and there was no where to go, what would he do.  His response was "ugh I dunno". 
    Then in passport control in Dublin they were in the EU queue, no clue what was going on and tried to argue that they were in the correct queue.  Everyone from the flight starting giving them stick.  Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Mind you (although having quite a good Masters) I can be extremely blonde. I complained after 7 years of doing this trip that the escalators in brussels airport were constantly out of order. My boss cracked up and told me they only started when you stood on them. Not my finest hour.

In fairness it's like that in Berlin too. Nearly broke my neck on an escalators the first time when it just started moving. I had assumed it was out off order. Although I am very blonde too :)

The story about the man and his mistress reminded me of another story. I was coming home from somewhere, can't remember where but this man and his son were sitting beside me. The man started chatting to me while his son, who was about 6, played a video game. He was from Bulgaria and he seemed really nice. He talked about his wife and the reasons they moved to Ireland.

He asked me my name and I told him as I saw no reason not too. We said our goodbyes getting off the plane and that was it.. or so I thought. A few days later I got a message on FB in the 'other messages' folder. It was from a guy called Igor. I was like.. huh, who and then I remembered that was his name. I didn't reply. He continued to message me for about 3 months afterwards asking why I wasn't responding, did I not like him any longer, what is my problem, do I think I'm better then him etc etc. Pretty creepy and very odd behaviour.

I always think of the poor wife. God knows how many women he's doing that kind of thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Did nobody else step on them while you were there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

OnDraught wrote: »
    Planes should be divided up with a section for people that want to sit in peace and not have to listen to other people's nonsense/kids. I'd pay extra for this.

Some are. It's called First/Business Class.

Advertisement