Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Bite while Cycling

Options
  • 29-08-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

A good friend and cycling buddy was out on a spin in Wicklow a few weeks ago when he was bitten on the calf by a Springer Spaniel. The bite wasn't particularly bad and I presume he rinsed it out but four days later he ended up in Intensive Care in St Vincent's with severe blood poisoning. It took some time to identify the bacteria involved and, thankfully, once they did, he responded to the treatment. I won't go into the details of how it affected him but he is likely to be on the critical list for another while.

I know we are not meant to give either legal or medical advice here but, given the seriousness of the infection and the number of loose dogs we encounter on the roads, do get medical advice if you are bitten.

Comments

yes you should go to A+E straight off with a dog bite <snip> to prevent what has happened here.
    Hope your friend will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Can I ask if owner of the dog was identified and what was the outcome of that...scary to think you can get so sick from a dog bite.
    A lesson to everyone in similar circumstances to get medical help ASAP..
    Hope your friend makes a full recovery...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

harr wrote: »
    Can I ask if owner of the dog was identified

Not that I'm aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Not that I'm aware of.

Any details on the circumstances on how he came to be bitten?
    Was the dog loose on the street?
    Dog owner myself, mine are more likely to lick than bite but it staggers me sometimes how some owners just allow their dogs to be free to behave in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Are you able to share the location so we can be prepared for an encounter with Cujo?

I hope your buddy makes a full recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

Sounds awful. I was bitten by a sheepdog while out running a few years ago. Just went to a GP and she gave me a tetanus shot and didn't need antibiotics thankfully. There's some good advice on the page below:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-human-and-animal/Pages/Introduction.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hope your friend makes a full and swift recovery, horrible thing to happen. Picked a nip of a narky Jack Russel in Glencullen earlier in the year, though thanks to overshoes skin was not broken, even then quite shaken. Worth reporting the details to the Gardaí if you haven't already given the animal poses a serious threat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've just edited one post as it indicates medical advice/treatment. Leave that for the docs/nurses in the a&e.

I highly recommend the rapid injury clinic in Smithfield for folk here. Quicker than normal a&e and same cost though hours are limited

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Sound advice.  OH was bitten by a Labrador while cycling in France last year, 14 stitches.  One of the wounds refused to heal properly and, months later, resulted in cellulitis and a week in hostpital on every antibiotic under the sun.  Can be all sorts of bugs in dog bites so dont take any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

First aid care is warm soapy water.... then go get seen by gp or a&e that day.

Dogs carry all sorts of bacteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...and the number of loose dogs we encounter on the roads....
    It never ceases to amaze me how people in rural areas who always seem to describe themselves as 'law abiding citizens' seem to be totally indifferent to allowing their dogs to be a danger to other citizens.

Incidentally, a dog had a go at me last year on the road where your buddy lives in full view of the owner. I'm terrified of the bloody things anyway but managed to get it with a squirt of the water bottle. The owner responded by saying I was 'very cruel'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I was bitten a while back. My dog and another dog started fighting, I got caught in the middle it was minor wound thankfully. Was told by a nurse to keep the wound under warm water for 10 minutes and seek medical advice. Got a tetanus that night, better safe then sorry. Doctor told me to wash the wound with warm soapy water. He told it can cause some very serious problems if the dog damages a joint or bone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Had to get off the bike this evening on the stretch of road from manor kilbride, at lisheen, that "farm" with several collies that chase bikes, a local guy going pass me in a car stopped to roar at the dogs, said they are known to chase and nip at cyclists. I've been chased before and usually sprint past the entrance, but tonight 2 dogs were more or less in the middle of the road, barking and growling at me.
    It's not a new phenomenon, I remember the same problem with dogs there 25 years ago.

terrydel wrote: »
    Any details on the circumstances on how he came to be bitten?
    Was the dog loose on the street?
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Are you able to share the location so we can be prepared for an encounter with Cujo?

I don't really have too much more information at this stage as my friend isn't allowed visitors yet. If I get more details I will post them here. His ride that day went south-east from Laragh on the L6086 before turning north up to Roundwood and returning to Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Happened my dad when cycling past neighbour's house. Got a good calf wound. He didn't want to say anything as he was worried the dog would be harmed. We convinced him he should as it wasn't the first time the dog had gone for him and it could easily go for a child. Conversation with the neighbours actually turned out fine and they've kept the dog off the road ever since.

Last year a little terrier tried to get me one time out walking in the park. I just ignored him but the owner started beating the animal with a stick and chasing it and shouting that he'd bring it back to the pound. The poor little thing was only a pup, it's no wonder he was nippy. I told the owner that it was ok and to leave the dog be, and he told he to f-off. Poor little dog would have been better off in the pound.

This kind of thing is not fair on either the dog or person affected, animals are like kids you can't reason with them. Hit a dog or child and they have no idea why the hell you are doing it and only learn fear. There are a myriad of reason why a loose dog may go for you, defending his patch , feeling threatened etc etc end of they day they shouldn't be in that position. Our lad is placid as can be, you could pull and drag out of him all day but see if a car with a trailer goes by or a cyclist or jogger he's straining the lead to get after them.

Bad owners who need to be called to task, driving instructor once told me a good solicitor would argue a dog was a liability under house insurance in the event I ever hit one. OP I'd advice you pal to lawyer up if the owner can be traced.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Report all chasing and biting dogs to the regional dog warden - thats their job.
    Photograph the house you believe the dog is from etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

How is your mate getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

JiffyJ wrote: »
    Sound advice.  OH was bitten by a Labrador while cycling in France last year, 14 stitches.  One of the wounds refused to heal properly and, months later, resulted in cellulitis and a week in hostpital on every antibiotic under the sun.  Can be all sorts of bugs in dog bites so dont take any chances.

I got cellulitis after crashing off-road on a gravelly bit in the Phoenix Park. It didn't look that bad so I continued with the spin and cleaned it out when I got home. Swelled up a few days later and I ended up spending a weekend in A&E on IV antibiotics.

It came back a second time a few months later, another weekend in hospital.

After this experience I really think it's worth bringing a couple of antiseptic wipes in the back pocket to clean out a wound immediately, even it it seems like just a small graze.

(is this medical advice? I'm not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

terrydel wrote: »
    Dog owner myself, mine are more likely to lick than bite

I bet the owner of the dog in this incident says something similar. Always the same spiel from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

There's a major attitude problem to control of dogs in Ireland.
    I don't really see it in many other countries, but for some reason in Ireland it's absolutely fine to allow your dog to wander around off-leash in parks and sure 'they're doing no harm' etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I bet the owner of the dog in this incident says something similar. Always the same spiel from them.

I bet all cyclists do XYZ. Always the same spiel from them.

D'you see what you did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

cjt156 wrote: »
    I bet all cyclists do XYZ. Always the same spiel from them.

D'you see what you did there?
    I guess he was referring to all dog owners, who allow their dogs to be a nuisance.

I find it's more a problem when running, but I do cut owners some slack when even a friendly dog starts yapping or slobbering at you, so long as the owner takes action to get it under control. Though I can understand people who don't like dogs, wouldn't even be happy with that. Dogs are supposed to be under effective control in public at all times.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    How is your mate getting on?

Still critical in ICU and likely to be for a while longer.

The incident happened on a quiet country road about a km south-east of Moneystown. A house/farm gate had been left open and the dog ran out and chased my friend and his companion. After biting my friend, the dog retreated back through the gate. Turns out to have been a large black Labrador/Collie cross and not a Springer as I mentioned earlier.

I am sure his family are following up with the dog owner and authorities so no need for further advice on this. Thanks to all who have expressed their concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Still critical in ICU and likely to be for a while longer..

That's terrible, you would never think something so serious could happen when you throw the leg over , clip in and head off for a bit of own space and relaxation and exercise.
    Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sorry to hear op, hope all will be OK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dogs love chasing moving objects. I can only imagine how many times cyclists get chased.
    Great advice op

Good news about my friend. After 42 days in ICU, he has been moved to a high-dependency ward. It is still not clear what long term damage has been caused but hopefully he will make a full recovery.
    Quite a few people I mentioned this to seemed to think that a tetanus shot would have prevented this. Not so. Only an antibiotic would have tackled the bacterial infection and prevented sepsis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bloody hell. poor bugger. 6 weeks is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Arbie wrote: »
    Happened my dad when cycling past neighbour's house. Got a good calf wound. He didn't want to say anything as he was worried the dog would be harmed. We convinced him he should as it wasn't the first time the dog had gone for him and it could easily go for a child. Conversation with the neighbours actually turned out fine and they've kept the dog off the road ever since.

Last year a little terrier tried to get me one time out walking in the park. I just ignored him but the owner started beating the animal with a stick and chasing it and shouting that he'd bring it back to the pound. The poor little thing was only a pup, it's no wonder he was nippy. I told the owner that it was ok and to leave the dog be, and he told he to f-off. Poor little dog would have been better off in the pound.

The owner should have got a kicking there.
    Firmly believe that there are very, very few bad dogs, its 99% bad owners.
    Dogs are just obeying their instincts generally when they defend their area.
    Wouldnt wish a bite on anyone but in nearly every case its the fault of the owner.

Advertisement