Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Bite while Cycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

flaneur wrote: »
    There's a major attitude problem to control of dogs in Ireland.
    I don't really see it in many other countries, but for some reason in Ireland it's absolutely fine to allow your dog to wander around off-leash in parks and sure 'they're doing no harm' etc etc.

Thats absolute utter nonsense, Ireland is one of the best countries in Europe in terms of responsible dog ownership. How many stray dogs do you see nowadays? F*ck all thats how many.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

terrydel wrote: »
    The owner should have got a kicking there.
    Firmly believe that there are very, very few bad dogs, its 99% bad owners.
    Dogs are just obeying their instincts generally when they defend their area.
    Wouldnt wish a bite on anyone but in nearly every case its the fault of the owner.

I agree, but it is very difficult to know how to respond. My wife got bitten by a dog a couple of weeks ago outside a local shop. I managed to catch up with the owner and give him and earful but he really didn't give a damn. I also let the shop owner know, as it is a shop that is regularly full of kids. In retrospect I should have reported it to the police. The bite didn't break the skin, probably thanks to denim jeans, but left my wife bruised and pretty shook up. FWIW, we have a dog and my wife loves dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Thats absolute utter nonsense, Ireland is one of the best countries in Europe in terms of responsible dog ownership. How many stray dogs do you see nowadays? F*ck all thats how many.

Loads of them,and loads of dumped Dogs as well...especially in the Coilte forest here at back of my house, which is used regularly as a Dog disposal facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The owner should have got a kicking there.
    Firmly believe that there are very, very few bad dogs, its 99% bad owners.
    Dogs are just obeying their instincts generally when they defend their area.
    Wouldnt wish a bite on anyone but in nearly every case its the fault of the owner.

Dogs just see walker's or cyclists crossing their patch and take off after them.
    Every time they do the intruder moves on and the dog thinks job done.
    That's why it's important that dog owners control them.
    Stiff fines are the only thing these irresponsible people will understand.

archer22 wrote: »
    [/B]

Loads of them,and loads of dumped Dogs as well...especially in the Coilte forest here at back of my house, which is used regularly as a Dog disposal facility.

I know that goes on and its terrible, but try countries like Spain, Italy, portugal and you'll see a difference. Our dog control situation is a million miles better in terms of the risk to people from bites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't think that what he was getting it at. More that people are often too quick to let their dogs off their leashes and then inattentive to their dogs when they do. Not everyone is of course, and it's generally not through malice, just people get caught day dreaming while out with their pooch in the fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

How do people let dogs bit them when on a bike. I have booted the face off dogs who have dared to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Cedric87 wrote: »
    How do people let dogs bit them when on a bike. I have booted the face off dogs who have dared to try.

Good for you!
    However you might concede that perhaps everyone isn't as quick witted and agile as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

A good rule of thumb is if dog runs at you while barking, its likely it wont attack. If it runs at you silently, its conserving its energy for an attack so you can get off your bike and get ready to defend yourself.

Of course a silent approach means you may not hear it, especially at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Maybe we are good for not having many stray dogs but we are crap for having dogs off the lead.

How many times I have gone into my local park for a run, only for a dog to run towards me. On the signs into the park, dogs must be kept on the lead!!!

Glendalough is another location where you see dogs off the lead even though its against the rules there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Good news about my friend. After 42 days in ICU, he has been moved to a high-dependency ward. It is still not clear what long term damage has been caused but hopefully he will make a full recovery.
    Quite a few people I mentioned this to seemed to think that a tetanus shot would have prevented this. Not so. Only an antibiotic would have tackled the bacterial infection and prevented sepsis.

This is horrendous, 6 weeks in ICU after just going for a spin on the bike. I would hope that the dog owner is liable for any loss of earnings your mate incurs, it sounds like it could be a while yet before he's even back on his feet, let alone back at work.

Best wishes to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I know that goes on and its terrible, but try countries like Spain, Italy, portugal and you'll see a difference.
    yep, just back from two weeks in spain and saw dogs as roadkill on the motorway on three occasions. can't remember the last time i'd have seen it in ireland.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I don't think that what he was getting it at. More that people are often too quick to let their dogs off their leashes and then inattentive to their dogs when they do. Not everyone is of course, and it's generally not through malice, just people get caught day dreaming while out with their pooch in the fresh air.

I get you.
    Funnily tho, dogs are generally less agressive and defensive off a lead than on. ;)

Advertisement