Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How best to move 3 tonnes of wood pellets 10 km?

• 29-08-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

A friend has given up on his wood-pellet boiler system due to unreliability. He has most of 3 T of pellets taking up garage space and is offering them to me.

Has anyone any ideas how to shift these with minimal damage? I imagine a vacuum conveyor system would be the best and least damaging - 3 T of sawdust is of no use to me! I've only seen these systems on plastic injection moulding machines where they are used to lift pellets from the floor hopper up to the injection infeed hopper. These are likely to be three-phase though.

I can suck out from the bottom of my friend's silo.
    I need to blow them into my sack silo or open the roof and drop them in by vacuum conveyor.

Any other ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

transistor wrote: »
    A friend has given up on his wood-pellet boiler system due to unreliability. He has most of 3 T of pellets taking up garage space and is offering them to me.

Has anyone any ideas how to shift these with minimal damage? I imagine a vacuum conveyor system would be the best and least damaging - 3 T of sawdust is of no use to me! I've only seen these systems on plastic injection moulding machines where they are used to lift pellets from the floor hopper up to the injection infeed hopper. These are likely to be three-phase though.

I can suck out from the bottom of my friend's silo.
    I need to blow them into my sack silo or open the roof and drop them in by vacuum conveyor.

Any other ideas?

Can you wire his feed auger directly and use it to either bag them or fill a trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 transistor

Sure, but the augers are rated for a few kg per hour. I'd be three weeks 24/7 doing it that way. The auger would also grind up the pellets somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

transistor wrote: »
    Sure, but the augers are rated for a few kg per hour. I'd be three weeks 24/7 doing it that way. The auger would also grind up the pellets somewhat.

The auger is set for a few kgs an hour, because that is what the boiler requires - they can go a hell of a lot faster than that. I saw a local farmer adapt a pellet auger and bin to move calf nuts and it pumps them out at quite a rate - he fills a 25kg bag in 20 or 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 transistor

Thanks, Gravelly.

This one is a 50 Hz induction motor on a worm gear. I primed it twice for my friend. It is very slow and can not be sped up. Faster would probably be worse for pellet breakup.

Advertisement