Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light switch wiring.

Options
  • 29-08-2017 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have a light switch beside the bed that seems to do nothing. I presumed it was for the main light but was not wired up. Just opened it today to look and I have two live(brown) wires both going to com and two neutral (blue) wires going to a connector block (joining each other). There is nothing going to L1or L2.

Does that sound normal? If not how should I wire it? The switch never did anything. The main light works perfectly using the wall switch by the door.

Here's a photo if the switch.

imgur dot com/a/GwLja

Thanks for any help guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You should have one going to COM and one going to L1 or L2. You might also have an earth wire which connects to the switch casing.

COM is the power supply coming from your switch board.
    L1 & L2 is the wire which brings power to your light. L1 & L2 are the same, it just indicates whether power will be supplied when the switch is down or up.

The blues should be connected to either L1 or L2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

What if they're a loop feed for a standalone light? I wouldnt go connecting any blues into L1/L2 until I was sure they weren't neutrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Do not connect the neutrals to L1 or L2! They are fine where they are. The switch can't work as wired but without looking into the rest of the lighting circuit it is difficult to say what the original intention was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Threeofnine

Pete67 wrote: »
    Do not connect the neutrals to L1 or L2! They are fine where they are. The switch can't work as wired but without looking into the rest of the lighting circuit it is difficult to say what the original intention was.

There are two of these switches one on each side of the bed.

Maybe it should be one live on com and one on L1?

A guess would be they were intended for 5A sockets switched from the doorway, probably left dead at the back of the switch. Would need more investigation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Id say it was a feed left for beside lamps for future connection when it was originally wired.

evosteo wrote: »
    Id say it was a feed left for beside lamps for future connection when it was originally wired.

So it probably won't work for the main light then will it?

There are no bedside lamps at all. Maybe the switches are there in case some were added?
    Seems strange having switches doing nothing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

So it probably won't work for the main light then will it?

There are no bedside lamps at all. Maybe the switches are there in case some were added?
    Seems strange having switches doing nothing though.

No your then getting into 2 way (2 switches) and intermediate (3+ switches). From what youve explained you have a permenant live and neutral to the rear of the switch which is sufficent for wall mounted bedside lamps

znAHMTn.jpg

It looks like they're feeds for bedside lamps. If you put a voltmeter across the brown blue it should read 240volts. Better set up than 2 way or intermediate on the centre light imo.

• Advertisement

It looks like they're feeds for bedside lamps. If you put a voltmeter across the brown blue it should read 240volts. Better set up than 2 way or intermediate on the centre light imo.

Ahh ok. So would it be that the bedside lamps we just never installed? So my best bet is to just leave them as is then. Shame because it would be handy to have a main light switch beside the bed!

Ahh ok. So would it be that the bedside lamps we just never installed? So my best bet is to just leave them as is then. Shame because it would be handy to have a main light switch beside the bed!

At that stage its time to call a sparks. If the bedroom is upstairs or in a bungalow it might be doable.

I'll leave it so. Not worth that much to me was just curious. Thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement