Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Buying Advice

Options
  • 29-08-2017 4:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi all,

My wife and I have decided to start cycling to improve our fitness levels. I used to cycle a lot when I younger, and commuted by bike for a while but I'm now a bit out of touch. I've been advised by a work colleague to go for a hybrid. This would certainly make more sense on some of the roads near my house (in the sticks). I have a budget of 1-1.5k for both bikes. For that money I'd like something that I could use for charity cycles etc if I stick with it. How practical is a hybrid for longer distances? Obviously as someone getting back into cycling after a long break I don't want to spend a fortune at this point in case I don't keep it up.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Hi all,

My wife and I have decided to start cycling to improve our fitness levels. I used to cycle a lot when I younger, and commuted by bike for a while but I'm now a bit out of touch. I've been advised by a work colleague to go for a hybrid. This would certainly make more sense on some of the roads near my house (in the sticks). I have a budget of 1-1.5k for both bikes. For that money I'd like something that I could use for charity cycles etc if I stick with it. How practical is a hybrid for longer distances? Obviously as someone getting back into cycling after a long break I don't want to spend a fortune at this point in case I don't keep it up.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Buy a road bike, you might regret buying a hybrid when you up your distances.

Can you/your auld wan avail of a Bike to Work scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Go for road bikes much easier on longer spins. Go to a local bike shop and see what they have. also there is lots of info online you can check out.bear in mind the extras you will need, eg helmets,pump,lights proper cycling clothes etc so your budget might go up a bit so even second hand bikes could be well bought best of luck its a great sport to get into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Buy a road bike, you might regret buying a hybrid when you up your distances.

Can you/your auld wan avail of a Bike to Work scheme?

Thanks for the advice lads. I can use the bike to work scheme immediately but she has used hers in the last few years.
    Regards,
    Dave

where you at?
    some decent bargains around with shops clearing stock for 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Redfence74

I took up cycling a few yrs ago to keep weight off...bought a hybrid to start...regretted it ....than bought a second hand Rd bike off a friend...I now have a caad 12 road bike....absolutely delighted with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just for the OP's benefit - one benefit of a drop handlebar road bike is the multiple hand positions it allows - if you're on the bike for a reasonable length of time, it can be good to change hand positions, allows you to move the load around on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

OP, found ourselves in the same situation in the last month or two with regards to getting fitter and out and about instead of lounging in front of the tellybox every evening.

Did a fair bit of research online and talking to people etc (but I'm like that before buying anything :rolleyes:) to see what's what in terms of bikes, gear, clothing, different setups and what not before making our purchase. It is also worth checking out y/tube for videos of maintaining, cleaning and setting up the bike.

We did blow the budget on our bikes and bought above our capabilities, although we are looking at it as future proofing ourselves!!!!! Herself went to the local bike shop as it is close to our work and got fitted up to make sure she was happy as she was a bit nervous about heading out on the road, although we are in the country the road can be quite busy with trucks. As said, this can be a great time to be looking as it is coming to the end of the season and new stock for 2018 will be launching, we saved over €500 on our two bikes. I took a gamble on sizing etc. and purchased from one of the big German online retailers which thankfully worked out ok and after a few adjustments I find it a comfortable ride.

In terms of clothing etc we would pick up the bits and pieces from the likes Lidl ,who have some cycling gear in at the minute, or online in sales from the like of wiggle and chain reaction as they have some great bargains, especially with the way sterling is at the minute. This got us the basics, for not much money, which we can add to and upgrade as time goes on. The bargain alerts in this forum is also a great place get suggestions. These purchases have been spread out over a few weeks so not taking a hit all at once.

To get started we have the old Moate railway cycle track, great for getting used to the feel of the bike, changing gears etc without having to worry about traffic or we head to a quieter road.

We try to get out early on our days off or in the evening when we get home from work before we have time to sit down, even if it is only for half an hour. Amazing how the time/ kms will soon build up and the enjoyment from being out and about.

Already looking at some of the cycling events, charity cycles for next year as this will give us something to aim towards and push us on the keep at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

where you at?
    some decent bargains around with shops clearing stock for 2018

Based near Macroom so I'll be buying in Cork.

Gents,

thanks again for the information. Some very informative replies and detailed replies there, thanks for taking the time. On the subject of clothing I've noticed our marketing department seems to have a load of cycle wear so I'll raid that :rolleyes:. I'll try and make time over the coming week to get out there and look at a few bikes. All my past experience has been on/off road on mountain bikes, hence another reason I was looking towards hybrids. I do like the flat bar but then I'm inexperienced hence the post so I'll look at both. We plan to start with some of the local roads, some of which are fairly quiet. One in particular is used by people hacking out on a regular basis so the drivers tend to be more cautious.
    Regards,
    Dave

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Based near Macroom so I'll be buying in Cork.

Gents,

thanks again for the information. Some very informative replies and detailed replies there, thanks for taking the time. On the subject of clothing I've noticed our marketing department seems to have a load of cycle wear so I'll raid that :rolleyes:. I'll try and make time over the coming week to get out there and look at a few bikes. All my past experience has been on/off road on mountain bikes, hence another reason I was looking towards hybrids. I do like the flat bar but then I'm inexperienced hence the post so I'll look at both. We plan to start with some of the local roads, some of which are fairly quiet. One in particular is used by people hacking out on a regular basis so the drivers tend to be more cautious.
    Regards,
    Dave

you're laughing so! The loop around Inniscarra lake is a very popular route with cyclists at the weekend.
    (no connection!) take a stroll into the Giant shop in Ballincollig, he's a lot of good deals at moment. Work colleague pulled the trigger on a great deal for herself last week

Advertisement