Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The explanation for exceptional punching power?

• 29-08-2017 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Are there any leading explanations for why some fighters seem to be able to generate truely exceptional punching power while other, seemingly identically built, and technically gifted fighters just can't match.

For the time that's in it, what is it about GGG that makes his shots on such a level above the average fighter? Is it some quirk of physicality? Is it pure technical superiority? Is it a mental or psychological element? A combination of everything?

Are there any factors that all 'super hard hitting' fighters share where you could draw clear lines that connect each one that the rest lack?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are there any leading explanations for why some fighters seem to be able to generate truely exceptional punching power while other, seemingly identically built, and technically gifted fighters just can't match.

For the time that's in it, what is it about GGG that makes his shots on such a level above the average fighter? Is it some quirk of physicality? Is it pure technical superiority? Is it a mental or psychological element? A combination of everything?

Are there any factors that all 'super hard hitting' fighters share where you could draw clear lines that connect each one that the rest lack?

Gymnastics and wrestling when younger builds muscle on the upper back (And overall core).

That's the base. Then you have the technique on top of that. Plus extra conditioning. And speed and timing of course too.

But as you say, what makes the exceptional is the combination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Many factors at play to allow a person to throw the best power shot they can.

But for heavy punchers I think a natural element plays its part. Whatever about their physiological make up, some people just naturally exert more power and force through their bodies when punching. The result being more force on the target.

There's the dull thumping slow power like Foreman, and the whippy/speedy wow power of Tyson. The former is more natural and "you just have it," the latter is more down to speed and technique and delivery.

Elasticity and flexibility on the arms and muscles allows more torque and momentum and range, allows the shot to fly. It's effortless delivery.

Technique and speed and positioning of feet and hips is vital to get the most from your shots.

Relating to GGG his power is more thumping and raw as opposed to wow, where did that come from. GGG is heavy handed, but not dynamite. He can whip in lovely hooks to the body at speed, but generally his power is "slowly" delivered to its target area. His power is as much natural as it is developed and honed.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

walshb wrote: »
    Many factors at play to allow a person to throw the best power shot they can.

But for heavy punchers I think a natural element plays its part. Whatever about their physiological make up, some people just naturally exert more power and force through their bodies when punching. The result being more force on the target.

There's the dull thumping slow power like Foreman, and the whippy/speedy wow power of Tyson. The former is more natural and "you just have it," the latter is more down to speed and technique and delivery.

Elasticity and flexibility on the arms and muscles allows more torque and momentum and range, allows the shot to fly. It's effortless delivery.

Technique and speed and positioning of feet and hips is vital to get the most from your shots.

Relating to GGG his power is more thumping and raw as opposed to wow, where did that come from. GGG is heavy handed, but not dynamite. He can whip in lovely hooks to the body at speed, but generally his power is "slowly" delivered to its target area. His power is as much natural as it is developed and honed.

This.

Always thought that, that scary, freakish power was a natural thing. Obviously things you can do to improve your general power which the lads have mentioned. Plus if you are lucky enough to have those natural heavy hands you can improve things so that you deliver that power as effectively as possible. But don't think you can develop that world class power can you? Any examples to the contrary?

This.

Always thought that, that scary, freakish power was a natural thing. Obviously things you can do to improve your general power which the lads have mentioned. Plus if you are lucky enough to have those natural heavy hands you can improve things so that you deliver that power as effectively as possible. But don't think you can develop that world class power can you? Any examples to the contrary?

Thomas Hearns is usually put out there as someone who was taught that power.

As a skinny amateur he was not known as a hitter.

His power was circa 80 percent from his delivery and speed and whip! A developed and perfected and honed technique in the gym.

Compare him to a similar hitter, Julian Jackson, and you can kind of see that Jackson embodies a more balanced power. Natural and developed more than Hearns (primarily developed). I'd say 65 percent natural and 35 percent technique for JJ to give him brilliant impact power.

Tyson similar to Jackson.

Foreman and Arguello are two on the other end. Raw heavy thudding natural power. Their technique and delivery not as influential as others with power.

Interesting. Always assumed Hearns must have that natural freakish power I was talking about especially given his slender build and the fact he just kept knocking people out as he rose through the weights. What a fighter he was. Give him Hagler's chin and he's near on unbeatable.

• Advertisement

Interesting. Always assumed Hearns must have that natural freakish power I was talking about especially given his slender build and the fact he just kept knocking people out as he rose through the weights. What a fighter he was. Give him Hagler's chin and he's near on unbeatable.

Actually, his power did not translate greatly as he moved up in weights. Sure, he had KO wins, but the shots were not as impacting as his WW days really. His power was more a force and a success at WW/JMW.

Actually, his power did not translate greatly as he moved up in weights. Sure, he had KO wins, but the shots were not as impacting as his WW days really. His power was more a force and a success at WW/JMW.

Ah you know what I mean he continued to stop people. He may not have pancaked people anymore and some of the competition may not have been great but fact he continued to stop men at MW, SMW, LHW and even cruiser led me to believe he had natural power in there somewhere.

Not disagreeing with your assessment of him being taught to be a big hitter, just thinking out loud. Just happy not talking about you know what for a change......

Ah you know what I mean he continued to stop people. He may not have pancaked people anymore and some of the competition may not have been great but fact he continued to stop men at MW, SMW, LHW and even cruiser led me to believe he had natural power in there somewhere.

Not disagreeing with your assessment of him being taught to be a big hitter, just thinking out loud. Just happy not talking about you know what for a change......

Indeed. Tommy's power was there. Just harnessed and developed by real technique and delivery. Arm extension was one issue he overcame. Getting the full extension on his shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Thomas Hearns is usually put out there as someone who was taught that power.

As a skinny amateur he was not known as a hitter.

His power was circa 80 percent from his delivery and speed and whip! A developed and perfected and honed technique in the gym.

Compare him to a similar hitter, Julian Jackson, and you can kind of see that Jackson embodies a more balanced power. Natural and developed more than Hearns (primarily developed). I'd say 65 percent natural and 35 percent technique for JJ to give him brilliant impact power.

Tyson similar to Jackson.

Foreman and Arguello are two on the other end. Raw heavy thudding natural power. Their technique and delivery not as influential as others with power.

Watched a good video on Youtube recently about Jacksons' technique I'll try find it later on and post it, it breaks down how he generated the whip in his shots and combined with his timing how he seemed to just blow people away in the ring.
    He really was an exceptional KO artist, it's scary to see what some of his shots do to his opponents

Mr.Ed wrote: »
    Watched a good video on Youtube recently about Jacksons' technique I'll try find it later on and post it, it breaks down how he generated the whip in his shots and combined with his timing how he seemed to just blow people away in the ring.
    He really was an exceptional KO artist, it's scary to see what some of his shots do to his opponents

I have come across that video, alright...post it when you can..

• Advertisement

I think this is it not 100% sure

His KO of Wayne Powell is the greatest of all time. June 1990 Caesars Palace! It's on your video clip. 3 minutes 39 seconds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

His KO of Wayne Powell is the greatest of all time. June 1990 Caesars Palace! It's on your video clip. 3 minutes 39 seconds in.

I would have to disagree with you there. World level fighters ko'ing hopelessly overmatched club fighters is pretty disgusting in my book.

Henno30 wrote: »
    I would have to disagree with you there. World level fighters ko'ing hopelessly overmatched club fighters is pretty disgusting in my book.

I was speaking of the aesthetics. It was a 4th rd KO.. Powell was somewhat capable.

And, plenty of elites can also suffer that same fate. One punch fury..

Herol Graham in the same year. A far more famous KO that one, but the Powell KO looks even more beautiful. Was the Graham KO also disgusting?

Throw in the 2nd rd KO of Terry Norris as well.

That is the exact KO I was thinking of when I typed the last line of my post, that split second of delay and then it's like his brain short circuits and he just locks up and falls

Never really looked into Powells record before but after checking his boxrec I can see where Henno is coming from, I think Jackson was a few levels above him to be fair, take nothing away from the shot it's a peach

Advertisement