Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Moving to Navan- Flood Risk?

Options
  • 29-08-2017 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are thinking of moving to Navan. My preference would be the houses behind the Ardboyne Hotel. I see from the County Council maps that there is a tributary of the Boyne running between some of the estates and is marked as having a flood risk. I have been in contact with some home insurance companies and some won't quote at all and others quote high premiums.

My main question is: has anybody got any information or experience of these estates in relation to flooding etc. The main estates are Kilcarn, Lime Kiln and Springfield Glen (all near the Ardboyne and Navan Rugby Club)

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

No local knowledge, but there are draft flood maps prepare under CFRAMs, have a look here

http://www.cfram.ie/pfra/interactive-mapping/

The OPW flood hazard mapping is also a useful resource for previous flood hazards which occurred.

http://www.floodmaps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Limekiln, Sprinfield Glen are on a hill so they're pretty safe.

I cant recall of a single flooding event in Kilcarn Court, there is a small stream that runs beside it, but its tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smitherz

Thanks for your quick reply. Are you living in the area for a good few years?
    I think the insurers are being overly cautious about that stream

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

I think that this is probably the Swan River, or one of its unnamed tributary streams. I only ever recall it getting high when it goes under the Trim Road at Teach na Teamhrach, and AFAIR tyhe council replaced the culvert there a few years back.

A flood assessment plan for Navan was completed on behalf of Meath Co Co in 2014. Not sure if the council acted on any of the recommendations, though. If you google Swan River Navan you should be able to access the pdf link from the Meath Co Co website. I can't seem to embed the link, but I hope this helps....

Thank you for the information. Will check with CoCo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

I live in the area, kilcarn, springfield glen and limekil will never flood, only areas that have been at risk in my life here are academy street and possibly a few on dublin road on the river side ,

Hi Tuborg_man, thanks for your reply. We have decided to buy in the area and are really looking forward to the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

I'll put the kettle on haha

Advertisement