Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lake Garda

Options
  • 29-08-2017 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, hoping to cycle around all of Lake Garda next week, just wondering if anyone has done it recently, found a route on map my ride circa 140k. are there any tunnels or tricky parts to be avoided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Loads of tunnels on west side. Bring lights. Many of the tunnels had no internal lighting when I did a lap. Scared the pants off me as I didn't have lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tony Fitz

Cheers Raam, lights in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I spent 3 days cycling around Lake Garda in June, ill PM you a few of the Strava routes. Personally id avoid cycling the lake and head into the hills.

The lake roads are full of tunnels, narrow sections with no road run off and with cliff walls being your only option, leaving you no where to go. Surprisingly i found drivers to be very curteous to cyclists.

Im a very competent cyclists and commute in Dublin daily but even I didn't enjoy the moments i was on the lake.

You must head into the hills, the views were breath taking. Obviously it's up to you:)

Ill send on my strava routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tony Fitz

Thanks, I'm inclined to agree, just watched YouTube clip on GardA tunnels and its not safe, no hard shoulder etc, the Strava routes would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'll second what the other lads have said about lights for the tunnels - scary stuff in some of the long unlit twisty tunnels when you hear the roar of a V12 engine approaching from behind.

Be prepared for plenty of climbing when you move away from the lake (on the western side anyway - don't know about the other sides).

If it's hot, I'd be inclined to take 750ml bottles (much as I hate them) as opportunities to get water are limited in remote areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

+1 i had a 750ml bottle but could have done with another, it was late 20s/ early 30s... though if you set off early you'll be fine.

You can do serious climbing over short distances alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Eastern side from the south to Monte Baldo is just bumpy, a couple of long drags but nothing majorly steep. Plus there's no tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There's a few different routes/Strava segments mentioned in this thread from earlier this year that jon1981 set up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057741478

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Typical, another Garda bashing thread on boards.

Advertisement