Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do you know any famous people?

• 29-08-2017 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

and I don't mean the lad from fair city always hanging around everywhere in Dublin in tight t-shirts trying to act cool and thinking everyone is looking at him....

What I noticed is that no one I know, knows anyone famous and by famous I mean Conor McGregor, Bono, Imelda May, Pierce Brosnan, Gabriel or Gay Byrne, Enya....I'm talking that level of famous. Properly Famous....or better yet Brad Pitt, Bill Gates, Solobodan Milosevic etc

Do famous people only hang with people of equal fame calibre? and the lad from fair city hang around the corner and queues waiting to be seen by someone....anyone....

Now. By "know" someone famous I don't mean did you go to school with them and they're now better than you but you've kids so you're much more happy and fulfilled than them obviously but they won't understand until they've kids too. I mean do you know someone famous and you can call them for a pint anytime you want and that would mean charting their private jet to fly you over to their gaff for a bottle of the ol peroni one n only jim jam baroni

Ok a little caveat is needed. Obviously this is AH so the odds of anyone knowing anyone important is slim. So does anyone know anyone who knows someone famous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I wouldn't say famous, but I'd be quite good friends with an extremely wealthy guy whose surname would be well known in the oil industry. He dropped into Ireland on his private jet a few years ago, and asked me if I wanted to party in Italy for a week. I'm sure some of you would have jumped at the chance, but I'm not really the sort to use people.

Anyway, I have enough self awareness to know that the lifestyle is well beyond my means. I'm not sure why he calls me up though, I suppose he inhabits a level of society where everyone is trying to deceive him and make a buck from him. It's probably a very lonely lifestyle, as many celebrities will admit.
    I just treat him as a regular Joe, no arse-kissing or agendas. Maybe he respects that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm not one to brag, but I have a book full of famous bastards that owe me money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

I'm not one to brag, but I have a book full of famous bastards that owe me money.

Shouldn't you be in hiding?

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be in hiding?

I am hiding.

I'm in a pub in the Irish Riviera drinking Heineken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I wouldn't say famous, but I'd be quite good friends with an extremely wealthy guy whose surname would be well known in the oil industry. He dropped into Ireland on his private jet a few years ago, and asked me if I wanted to party in Italy for a week. I'm sure some of you would have jumped at the chance, but I'm not really the sort to use people.

Anyway, I have enough self awareness to know that the lifestyle is well beyond my means. I'm not sure why he calls me up though, I suppose he inhabits a level of society where everyone is trying to deceive him and make a buck from him. It's probably a very lonely lifestyle, as many celebrities will admit.
    I just treat him as a regular Joe, no arse-kissing or agendas. Maybe he respects that.

JR? I thought someone shot that fecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Several in the world of the Natural Sciences but I'm particularly friendly with David Attenborough and in touch with him regularly over the past 50+ years. We meet up once or twice a year. I would be on chatting terms with The Corrs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Several in the world of the Natural Sciences but I'm particularly friendly with David Attenborough and in touch with him regularly over the past 50+ years. We meet up once or twice a year. I would be on chatting terms with The Corrs too.

Genuinely jealous :) Would love to meet him. He seems like a really nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I know Jack Daniels and Jim Beam both very intimately ...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The "I don't know what a tracker mortgage" fella used to deliver me takeaway.

Still regret not asking him for an autograph.

I am hiding.

I'm in a pub in the Irish Riviera drinking Heineken.

Aha, see they'll be looking for a Tennent's man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'm quite friendly with a multi billionaire in the tech industry. Regularly cruises in to Galway on his yacht and asks me if I want to head off to the Caribbean with him. I never take him up on the offer as I don't like jerk chicken.

I guess he likes me as I am able to level with him and say that the latest update to Facebook messenger is ****e. I'm a straight shooter like that :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm sure some of you would have jumped at the chance, but I'm not really the sort to use people.

Thanks very much.

I know Biggins but it's not something I can talk about, for my own security.

I'm quite friendly with a multi billionaire in the tech industry. Regularly cruises in to Galway on his yacht and asks me if I want to head off to the Caribbean with him. I never take him up on the offer as I don't like jerk chicken.

I guess he likes me as I am able to level with him and say that the latest update to Facebook messenger is ****e. I'm a straight shooter like that :cool:

Believe whatever you want to believe fella, it makes no difference to me. A bullsh1tter would have lied and said they went to Italy and hung out with models and partied in A list clubs and hotels.

I have no problem admitting I'm not part of, can afford, or fit in with the jet set lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

I know a bloke who's on the run......comes up for air every now and then.....last I heard he's in the riviera...hitting the sauce bad as well....

I'll tell you one thing, customer service in these tourist hotspots leaves a lot to be desired, they're looking after me alright, but the amount of dough these amateurs are losing their businesses, I'll be famous for shooting the lot of them soon!

We might be ignorant in Donegal, but we make damn sure we get as many euros as we can out of yous and send yous home smiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I know Richie Kavanagh quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I don't really know any famous people, although it's not something that really irks me.

I would love to meet Pierre Andurand, it would certainly be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm fairly tight with Marty Morrissey. Regularly hooks me up with gaa tickets which can't be got for love nor money. We've often shared a few magums of Moet in his jacuzzi while in the company of a bevy of exotic beauties that he's got on speed dial. Feckin' ledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

Regularly have pints with Leonardo DiCaprio, he's such an insufferable name-dropper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Probably Niall horan. Not overly friendly , but would know him well enough to chat too , we know a lot of the same people. Sound fella, and now minted in fairness to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Me an paddy irishman (he of numerous jokes fame) are besties.

Had a beer with him and paddy englishman, and paddy scotchman the other evenin in a bar we all randomly walked into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I once met a drunk Brendan Grace in the frozen aisle of a supermarket. That's as close as I've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm fairly tight with Marty Morrissey. Regularly hooks me up with gaa tickets which can't be got for love nor money. We've often shared a few magums of Moet in his jacuzzi while in the company of a bevy of exotic beauties that he's got on speed dial. Feckin' ledge.

You mean the sheep dip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I know Anthony Daly; he's a great man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

and I don't mean the lad from fair city always hanging around everywhere in Dublin in tight t-shirts trying to act cool and thinking everyone is looking at him....

What I noticed is that no one I know, knows anyone famous and by famous I mean Conor McGregor, Bono, Imelda May, Pierce Brosnan, Gabriel or Gay Byrne, Enya....I'm talking that level of famous. Properly Famous....or better yet Brad Pitt, Bill Gates, Solobodan Milosevic etc

Do famous people only hang with people of equal fame calibre? and the lad from fair city hang around the corner and queues waiting to be seen by someone....anyone....

Now. By "know" someone famous I don't mean did you go to school with them and they're now better than you but you've kids so you're much more happy and fulfilled than them obviously but they won't understand until they've kids too. I mean do you know someone famous and you can call them for a pint anytime you want and that would mean charting their private jet to fly you over to their gaff for a bottle of the ol peroni one n only jim jam baroni

Ok a little caveat is needed. Obviously this is AH so the odds of anyone knowing anyone important is slim. So does anyone know anyone who knows someone famous?

Unlikely too many ordinary punters are going to know Enya seeing as she's the Irish female Howard Hughes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

How's jim keeping these days?ive stopped buying ufo monthly so i don't get to read about him as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

How's jim keeping these days?ive stopped buying ufo monthly so i don't get to read about him as much.
    He was recently abducted by aliens from zyclox b, got a good probing, poor guy.
    They only returned him to Earth on the request he played the rocking riff from So Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

OP, if, as you suggest, famous people only hang out with other people of equal fame, then it's unlikely that anyone on Boards will know anyone - unless Bono (or possibly Enya) posts on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I met Sam Smith at a media event in London a few years ago, got to spend quite a bit of time with him and his team and ended up swapping numbers and he'd randomly text every six months or so when he's back in the city and invite me along to something or other.

Really sound and normal chap in fairness to him and keeps a tight ship when it comes to his team, a lot of them are family members and old friends.

Also went to college with a pretty well-known TV presenter in the UK, worked with a few others that went on to become household names in Ireland but I guess you wouldn't really classify that as famous relatively speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One of the students at a private school I worked for in Japan was a newscaster on national TV, who wanted to improve/maintain her English to be able to do foreign broadcasts (Olympics, G20 meetings and the like), and another was a very famous and successful catcher for a Japanese baseball team, who was improving his English in preparation for the big-money move to American baseball that he hoped to get...but eventually never did.

It was interesting really. Usually we have no real insight into the lives of our students - we just know them from class, but with those two, even though they would have had problems with their English, I could see them on TV regularly, as the composed, skilled professionals they were.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've met a few on the OP's list and a couple more than once. I've more properly over a longer period of time known a few people who would be famous worldwide. They're the same as anybody else really. Normal human beings. I have noticed that famous/rich people tend to grow an ecosystem of people around them. People they support, some who pay back working for them, others who don't. They can be like a small(or large) business in the shape of a person. Something that I would not like myself. That and the constant recognition and attention. Fame would be very uncomfortable for me I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Yer man Dean "exotic" Dixon from the Late Late Valentines Special a few years ago is the friend of a friend - nice guy by all accounts - does that count as better than Fair City??

Also my sister knows the lad who played Joffrey in Game of Thrones - again, very nice lad in contrast to his character on the show apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

I got Garry Glitters autograph when I was about 10.

There's been no contact since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Also my sister knows the lad who played Joffrey in Game of Thrones - again, very nice lad in contrast to his character on the show apparently.
    Eh, where's the spoiler alert?!?

(I don't really care. I don't watch it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Allinall wrote: »
    I got Garry Glitters autograph when I was about 10.

There's been no contact since.

And you had a lucky escape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I know Brian McFadden fairly well, would always have a chat to him. Sound skin.

Stephen Cluxton's Dad and my own mother are first cousins. I hate the gah, so whenever he sees me and we have a chat he always seems relieved that I'm not pestering him about some football related nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

MV5BNzU4NzcyODAxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDM2MjkyNjE@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I don't know who that is, you'll have to explain it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I don't know who that is, you'll have to explain it to me.

He is the guy that used to be on the Statoil ads years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I met Sam Smith at a media event in London a few years ago, got to spend quite a bit of time with him and his team and ended up swapping numbers and he'd randomly text every six months or so when he's back in the city and invite me along to something or other.

Really sound and normal chap in fairness to him and keeps a tight ship when it comes to his team, a lot of them are family members and old friends.

Also went to college with a pretty well-known TV presenter in the UK, worked with a few others that went on to become household names in Ireland but I guess you wouldn't really classify that as famous relatively speaking.
    What's happened to him, just having time away from the limelight? Not done much in 2 years really.
    73Cat wrote: »
    He is the guy that used to be on the Statoil ads years ago.

He's also the bollix who took out Gordon Bombay's knee in Mighty Ducks too as the coach of the evil Icelandians!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've a cousin who is a well known tv presenter and DJ.

When I was younger one of my best friends dated Ronan Keating. He was a twat even then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

In Ireland 'tis better to have friends in high places than to have famous friends. I have neither unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

friends with Deco (Dave) from Fair City... MAd as a brush

deco.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

“Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I entered a small dog at Crufts. Then I felt a little husky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mattress Mick added me on linkedin. So **** all of yeeeeee.

NnM2HPr5RJOgIeIIR7n1_Bus%20Middle%20Finger.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Spacefly

Few year back Martin sheen was going to NUIG and I worked in the area where he lived. Got to know him fairly well and drove him round the town a few times. Sound out never asked him about his son though, touchy subject...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

and send yous home smiling.

Relieved to have made it out of Donegal without being jarred.