Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I have no stats to back this up, just what i see out the window, but this has to be the wettest august/september i can remember since i moved here nearly 15 years ago now, the pond across the road that was in from the edges nearly 10 feet in may/june has now completely filled out to the edge and is starting to move out into the field now, and there is now water lying in the field beside our house, it always been late october when it started to happen

By the way, its raining fairly heavy here since the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It is possible to believe climate change is 100% real and not think that it's had much of an effect on Ireland's climate (yet) in terms of giving us weather we haven't always had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I agree with others. While Ireland's climate is excruciatingly mediocre 99.9% of the time, it is very rarely 'bad' in the real sense of the word.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I forgot about this parody by Breakfast Republic of Charlie Puth's 'Marvin Gaye'. :cool:

https://soundcloud.com/rte2fm/breakfast-republic-lets-met-eireann-and-get-it-wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Lovely cycling home in the downpours on bike, feet are like blocks of ice, need to turn on heat to dry my stuff. I usually can go months without getting wet on bike believe it or not, but I think it's way worse in the supposedly warmer months for rain than winter, going on how often I get wet, never seem to in Winter. This is pretty awful, hopefully we get some dry and mild weather soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

8.8c when i got up today and 8.7c now

Markree is 10c so maybe theres milder air coming

It was 9 to 11c in Sligo all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

JCX BXC wrote: »
    "Maybe you should be more respectful of differing opinions!"

What? You're telling me I'm wrong and that you're right, insulting everyone who disagrees with you and then telling me to be respectful of differing opinions?

Right, besides that, let's keep on point. Quite frankly I'll trust statistics over a vague 40 year old memory. Memories fade, statistics don't.

I don't understand why you're getting so annoyed, I don't agree that the weather has gotten so much worse in Ireland over previous years. Posting the word climate change to justify your point without it being used in any correct context, is using buzzwords really.

If statistics show that the weather has significant changed in the past 40 years, and my memory of some of that is truly awful, I'll concede that I am wrong, however I feel that I'm not and your use of deviation and insults only make even more sure of my position.

Hey steady on there,who am I insulting? That's a bit rich coming from somebody who has already been cautioned for your attitude.

You seem to be projecting your own annoyance on to me. You seem to think that I'm insisting that I'm right and you're wrong when it's you who are the one doing that. In fact I find it insulting that you call my memories "vague" when they are anything but.

I don't care who's wrong and who's right if either of us actually are. I've better things to be doing than proving a point to some random stranger on the Internet. I will look up statistics and other evidence [because statistics alone are not foolproof] when I get time, mainly because it interests me personally and not to make you concede defeat. Sorry but I really couldn't care less on that point.

However I will reiterate that in my 50 plus years on this planet and in this country I have seen the weather in the south west of Ireland worsen significantly. I have seen it and experienced it and I find it disrespectful that anyone would dismiss my first hand account.

In my line of work I know something about debating and proving arguments. So please be aware that anecdotal evidence carries as much weight as does statistical. So it might be no harm to ask the older generation in your life what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So, basically you're just attacking me as opposed to my post, and then saying that I should just believe you because you're older than me (which I'd like to ask how you'd know this) and that your personal memory is better than any statistic.

Think we've reached the limit of any intelligible discussion here, let's just agree to disagree?

I feel a few stats coming on..

New Moon

So, basically you're just attacking me as opposed to my post, and then saying that I should just believe you because you're older than me (which I'd like to ask how you'd know this) and that your personal memory is better than any statistic.

Think we've reached the limit of any intelligible discussion here, let's just agree to disagree?

Absolutely, I'm starting to find this conversation extremely tiresome.

But if I find some good statistics and evidence for you, I will post them.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

So how about this autumn weather eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I actually like to see people arguing about weather

It shows passion and that they care about it

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I feel a few stats coming on..

Lol, it'll take quite a while to calculate stats for what I would say - thus why I have not posted my argument yet but here's what I would say without the calculated stats:
    acequion wrote: »
    In my line of work I know something about debating and proving arguments. So please be aware that anecdotal evidence carries as much weight as does statistical. So it might be no harm to ask the older generation in your life what they think.

If so, you'd wanna start showing it instead of relying on memory and telling us your "opinion" is fact. I'm a very bad debater thanks to my short temper, lazy attitude etc but I do know what makes a good debate. One of the things is in-depth research on your argument. All you've showcased here is that your "research" is memory. Just memory. Nothing else. No other evidence. I have you know that this is not the first time, we've had a long run of poor Summer months - I've said this numerous times through this year so far. 1960-1974 was an example of a long run of poor Summer weather with very little Summer-like moments. Two rare examples during it that come to my mind being June 1960 & June 1970. As I said, I am calculating stats - including the IMTs for months in the 1960s and before. But this takes a long time, especially as I go further and further back.

Anyway, I'm finding this laughably bad discussion tiresome also, so let's end it.

km79 wrote: »
    So how about this autumn weather eh?

Lol well there's nowhere else to post this sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still lashing rain here, and the field beside the house now has quite a decent flood in it, could do with it stopping soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

However I will reiterate that in my 50 plus years on this planet and in this country I have seen the weather in the south west of Ireland worsen significantly. I have seen it and experienced it and I find it disrespectful that anyone would dismiss my first hand account.

Absolute nonsense.

Please point out in the charts below where how the weather has been getting "worse". What does that even mean?

All charts from Met.ie.

rain06.gifrain07.gif
    rain03.gif
    wind04.gif

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Lol, it'll take quite a while to calculate stats for what I would say - thus why I have not posted my argument yet but here's what I would say without the calculated stats:

If so, you'd wanna start showing it instead of relying on memory and telling us your "opinion" is fact. I'm a very bad debater thanks to my short temper, lazy attitude etc but I do know what makes a good debate. One of the things is in-depth research on your argument. All you've showcased here is that your "research" is memory. Just memory. Nothing else. No other evidence. I have you know that this is not the first time, we've had a long run of poor Summer months - I've said this numerous times through this year so far. 1960-1974 was an example of a long run of poor Summer weather with very little Summer-like moments. Two rare examples during it that come to my mind being June 1960 & June 1970. As I said, I am calculating stats - including the IMTs for months in the 1960s and before. But this takes a long time, especially as I go further and further back.

Anyway, I'm finding this laughably bad discussion tiresome also, so let's end it.

So are you the sidekick, the one cheering on my combatant from the sidelines? Your tone is even worse. "Laughably bad" So who's rating the discussions? I thought boards.ie was a place where people post opinions,sometimes facts,sometimes get into arguments with other posters,but not the Trinity debates competition. Just as well as you've just told us yourself [emboldened above] how poor a debater you are.

I never said my opinion is "fact",I said my memory is fact,which it is. And I also said that good anecdotal evidence is as reliable as good statistics when arguing a point. I happen to know that for a fact and the operative word there in both cases being "good."

As for your "evidence" above, you have not cited the source of your statistics.An absolute necessity in debating,otherwise we could all be merrily making up stuff. I remember the sixties and seventies and don't remember a long run of bad summers. I remember an expert about twenty years back then saying that three bad summers in a row was unusual. But I cannot prove this until I find some evidence.

But I'm not remotely interested in squabbling with you,so unless you have something interesting to say to me, kindly go elsewhere with the snide remarks!

Absolute nonsense.

Please point out in the charts below where how the weather has been getting "worse". What does that even mean?

All charts from Met.ie.

rain06.gifrain07.gif
    rain03.gif
    wind04.gif

You're obviously another who knows little about the skills of debating if you discount real anecdotal evidence.

Thanks for posting your charts but I have a few questions for you. Are you suggesting:
    1. that the run of extremely wet summers since 2007 [excepting 2013] is normal Irish weather?
    2. that increasing instances of flash flooding and real flooding that we have experienced in recent years is normal weather?
    3. that jet stream activity is not changing?
    4. that the recent run of very mild winters is normal Irish weather?
    5. that climate change is not impacting on our tiny island?

I would like your opinion rather than a flurry of statistics.

You're obviously another who knows little about the skills of debating if you discount real anecdotal evidence.

Thanks for posting your charts but I have a few questions for you. Are you suggesting:
    1. that the run of extremely wet summers since 2007 [excepting 2013] is normal Irish weather?
    2. that increasing instances of flash flooding and real flooding that we have experienced in recent years is normal weather?
    3. that jet stream activity is not changing?
    4. that the recent run of very mild winters is normal Irish weather?
    5. that climate change is not impacting on our tiny island?

I would like your opinion rather than a flurry of statistics.

Answers a question with a run of other questions. A real debater, this guy.

You mean, only your evidence, which we must not dare discount by our scary and accurate statistics.

Didn't the church run a similar gag for years?

• Advertisement

You mean, only your evidence, which we must not dare discount by our scary and accurate statistics.

Didn't the church run a similar gag for years?

The above remark is offensive but hardly surprising with your attitude.
    Answers a question with a run of other questions. A real debater, this guy.

Clearly no point engaging with you either.

Pathetic.

In fairness, stats on their own don't give you the 'real feel' or recreate the actual human experience of weather. Someone being blown down on their arse in a car park on a wet windy winter's evening doesn't need a stat to confirm what happened to them. :P

New Moon

We've tried our best to engage with you, however you've just resorted to attacking us and affirming that your posts are factual, and gospel like. I'm don't think there's any debate to be had here. Gaoth Laidir actually supplied the statistics, very clear concise statistics, however you decided to discount them for no clear reason.

Yes statistics don't give you real feel, however I can't imagine the only thing this supposed massive climate change effect affects is real feel. Not much has changed yet.

Pathetic.

A pretty accurate description of your contribution.

Not much has changed yet.

Well from what I know from my own locality (going by both stats and experience) is that cold/snowy spells in winter are becoming less and less frequent, as are significant winter storms. Trivial you might say, but for a humble weather enthusiast like moi, substantial all the same, and certainly noticeable.

New Moon

We've tried our best to engage with you, however you've just resorted to attacking us and affirming that your posts are factual, and gospel like. I'm don't think there's any debate to be had here. Gaoth Laidir actually supplied the statistics, very clear concise statistics, however you decided to discount them for no clear reason.

Yes statistics don't give you real feel, however I can't imagine the only thing this supposed massive climate change effect affects is real feel. Not much has changed yet.

You have in no way tried to engage with me. You have at every point dismissed my views and twisted it so that it seems like you're the one being attacked. Your last point comparing me to some dictatorial church was downright offensive and I have reported you for it. I can see from following this thread that I'm not the first poster you've attacked and you have been warned about it. I won't be talking to you again.

You have in no way tried to engage with me. You have at every point dismissed my views and twisted it so that it seems like you're the one being attacked. Your last point comparing me to some dictatorial church was downright offensive and I have reported you for it. I can see from following this thread that I'm not the first poster you've attacked and you have been warned about it. I won't be talking to you again.

What about me? Will you be answering my question?

No of days (Summer JJA) with 1mm or more at Valentia, Co. Kerry:

BA5tk36.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

As this forum is part of the Science Category, robust & reasoned debate is encouraged. Let's try to do so without personalising arguments and trading insults please!

Thanks.

Advertisement