Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bitter today (exacerbated by my severe cold), that moderate north west wind was very cold!

Max of 13.8c today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Awful here in Kerry again today. Constant showers and chilly,13-14 deg at best. I generally don't turn the heat on upstairs until November but I had it on this evening.

Good for those getting a few rays of sunshine. It's non existent here since this current wave began a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

13c in Sligo today then 9c now.

Cant remember a September as cold as this one.

The jet is down over France

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    13c in Sligo today then 9c now.

Cant remember a September as cold as this one.

The jet is down over France

2012, 2015.... two very recent examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fairly cold this evening, still havent pressed the button on the heating yet, or lit a fire but its getting close

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »

September 2015!!

September 2015 was beautiful, as was October that year. Flowers were blooming well into November. It was a fantastic autumn,the posts of people raving about how good it was can be be traced back here on this forum.

Last September was also lovely, as was September 2014. I can't recall 2012 but I completely agree with pauldry that it's hard to remember a September as cold as this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

September 2015 was a lovely month certainly the first few weeks which I remember for a specific reason. This month has been awful 8 degrees and heavy hailstones at 7pm last night. Pure disaster. Heating back on in the office yesterday at the request of so many staff and the rain that fell yesterday at times was incredible.

acequion wrote: »

September 2015!!

September 2015 was beautiful, as was October that year. Flowers were blooming well into November. It was a fantastic autumn,the posts of people raving about how good it was can be be traced back here on this forum.

Last September was also lovely, as was September 2014. I can't recall 2012 but I completely agree with pauldry that it's hard to remember a September as cold as this one

He just said he can't remember a September a cold as this one, not as "awful" as this one. Of course September 2015 was a lovely month. September 2015 is my third favourite September I've experienced in my life so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I think it was fairly obvious what he meant, as someone said recently, weather is primarily what we feel and experience, not what a number on a piece of paper says.

If I'm not mistaken 2009 was also a beautiful month, I was at just after going back to college at the time and remember a prolonged warm sunny spell around now, might have been '08 though

I think it was fairly obvious what he meant, as someone said recently, weather is primarily what we feel and experience, not what a number on a piece of paper says.

If I'm not mistaken 2009 was also a beautiful month, I was at just after going back to college at the time and remember a prolonged warm sunny spell around now, might have been '08 though

It's not fairly obvious to me because I need to be told very specifically about things.

September 2009 was very nice with plenty of dry, sunny weather with rather ok temperatures. September 2008 where you live was also lovely - though the east had a terribly wet, cool and dull month.

• Advertisement

In fact the only really dreadful day I remember in September 2015 was the All Ireland final between Kerry and Dublin. It lashed out of the heavens and everyone was soaked but it wasn't particularly cold, maybe 16-17 degrees. The hurling final two weeks previously was on a gorgeous day. All the Sundays of Sept 2015 bar the football one were great.

I do remember September 2011 not being great. And with fairly cool temps,though not as cool as this year. I remember the All Ireland weekend, again between Kerry and Dublin and the weather the whole weekend was awful.

I have a particularly good memory when it comes to weather,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It's not fairly obvious to me because I need to be told very specifically about things.

September 2009 was very nice with plenty of dry, sunny weather with rather ok temperatures. September 2008 where you live was also lovely - though the east had a terribly wet, cool and dull month.

Sorry I thought you mentioned 2009 in your first post instead of 2012. Evidently I haven't quite woken up yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The BBC long range forecast last night at 2155 said that next week is "uncertain" due to the track of Jose. He said it could track close to us giving unsettled weather or towards Iceland allowing the Azores to build.
    Lets hope it doesn't come near us, I can do without freezing weather BEFORE the equinox! The only reason I didn't light a fire last night is because I'm so stubborn - I refuse to light a fire in the first half of September!

?url=http%3A%2F%2Faccuweather-bsp.s3.amazonaws.com%2F58%2F35%2F35cb912f4713804cb7060d0a92e4%2Fjose-track-scenarios-914-am.jpg

The BBC long range forecast last night at 2155 said that next week is "uncertain" due to the track of Jose. He said it could track close to us giving unsettled weather or towards Iceland allowing the Azores to build.
    Lets hope it doesn't come near us, I can do without freezing weather BEFORE the equinox! The only reason I didn't light a fire last night is because I'm so stubborn - I refuse to light a fire in the first half of September!

?url=http%3A%2F%2Faccuweather-bsp.s3.amazonaws.com%2F58%2F35%2F35cb912f4713804cb7060d0a92e4%2Fjose-track-scenarios-914-am.jpg

I'm a bit like that. While I will put on the heating no way will I get into boots and jumpers in September. I'm very stubborn that way. So it's still light clothes for me with cardigans. Luckily I work in a warm building.

Fingers hugely crossed that we get even half way decent weather next week as people are at their wits end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last year we didn't light our first fire till about mid October, this year is very different. I can't remember September 2015 for being cold, but if the weather was nice then that probably explains it. This September feels colder than most Octobers even. I think I can just about remember September 2012 as I was in college at the time and remember it being wet and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

He just said he can't remember a September a cold as this one, not as "awful" as this one. Of course September 2015 was a lovely month. September 2015 is my third favourite September I've experienced in my life so far.

I cant remember a September as awful as this one

Gonzo wrote: »
    last year we didn't light our first fire till about mid October, this year is very different. I can't remember September 2015 for being cold, but if the weather was nice then that probably explains it. This September feels colder than most Octobers even. I think I can just about remember September 2012 as I was in college at the time and remember it being wet and cool.

You'd be right about that probably of people thinking September 2015 wasn't that cool when it was the coldest September since 1986 for Ireland. That and September 2012 both had IMTs of 11.9c. Information calculated from Met Éireann and Met Office's historical data. See my posts on IMTs in Irish Weather Statistics thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's a cold day today. It's cloudy now and breezy and only 13.0C. In the breeze it feels like November rather than September.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This whole month feels like November so far, certainly feels colder than nearly any September I can remember. The only saving grace is that there has been a good deal of sun and brightness despite the showers, rain and wind.

Met Eireann are expecting the first 0C of the season on Saturday night which seems very early!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    This whole month feels like November so far, certainly feels colder than nearly any September I can remember.

Definitely a lot colder! 12.4c atm in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ME outlook: :)
    Tuesday & Wednesday: Mild and mainly dry with temperatures in the mid to high teens as southerly winds develop.
    If theres good sunshine and a southerly you could add a degree or two on to that in the Dublin area.

pauldry wrote: »

I cant remember a September as awful as this one

Lol seeing the statistics I can't argue on that one. The closest in recent times is September 2011 but that was mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Elmer looking for a build of the Azores high? :eek:

Careful what you wish for because winter is coming. :P

New Moon

I love a winter Azores high, beautiful calm, cold, frosty conditions, with a bit of fog.

In summer they're great too!

However in Spring/Autumn it's a bit disappointing.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I love a winter Azores high, beautiful calm, cold, frosty conditions, with a bit of fog.

In summer they're great too!

However in Spring/Autumn it's a bit disappointing.

I don't, I'd hate to have months like December 1991.

I don't, I'd hate to have months like December 1991.

December 1991? With severe snowfall followed by storms?

I'd love that, however that's not an Azores high is it?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    December 1991? With severe snowfall followed by storms?

I'd love that, however that's not an Azores high is it?

Lol, it was a month where we had a persistent Azores High / anticyclone block over top of us. It brought the driest December on record to many including Cork Airport with stations having less than 20mm throughout the month. To compensate with the very dry weather however, it was also very dull and it was the dullest December on record in some places too. Malin Head had only 33% of its average December sunshine.

You can see the Met Éireann bulletin for December 1991 here for yourself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwAX53FX4EFMTC0taTJLYU5jVEk/view?usp=sharing

Meanwhile, here's the 500mb height anomaly reanalysis from NOAA for December 1991. I've marked in the highs and lows as well as the Polar Jet for you. The jetstream is way to the north with a very stubborn block over top of us which in Winter time can only mean one thing, very dry, very dull and mild weather. Indeed it was, December 1991 was mild. It was over +1.0c above the average in places. Definitely not a month I'd like to experience.

XW65icI.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

This September reminds me (in my memory:) ) of September 1992. A cold showery month and i starting my Leaving Cert year in a damp boarding school.

nagdefy wrote: »
    This September reminds me (in my memory:) ) of September 1992. A cold showery month and i starting my Leaving Cert year in a damp boarding school.

Good comparison actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Gosh, it's been 7.6 years since we've had a proper snowy winter and you're telling ne this is ANOTHER mild one?? God i guess global warming really is real and we'll never get a cold winter again. :(

Advertisement