Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gosh, it's been 7.6 years since we've had a proper snowy winter and you're telling ne this is ANOTHER mild one?? God i guess global warming really is real and we'll never get a cold winter again. :(

we've really only had 2 winters with almost nationwide decent snowy spells since 1991 so most winters it can a fairly good bet that it's gonna be another mild winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Gonzo wrote: »
    we've really only had 2 winters with almost nationwide decent snowy spells since 1991 so most winters it can a fairly good bet that it's gonna be another mild winter.

Yeah do you think theres a chance in the next 10 years we'll get a winter like 2010?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nippy! Windy but dry and bright so time to cut the grass before the dew settles again this evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah do you think theres a chance in the next 10 years we'll get a winter like 2010?

not sure, but once per decade we should get a snowfall with more than 4 or 5 inchs of lying snow that lasts more than 2 days on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nothing wrong with the last 2 days here in West Clare, weather's been grand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

FREEZING in Dublin 5 right now, succumbed and have turned the heat on for the first time this autumn. It's half way through September ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Another freezing day here.

10.6c and more rain from the North. If this was January itd be a snow fest.

At least 2c tonight to look forward to and sun tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My September mean temperature is currently at 12.8c which is +0.6c above my whole September average but just a few days ago, it stood at 13.7c so is gradually plunging away.

I've also had only 2 days this month so far with no rain at all.

No complaints though because I'm still loving it.

we've lit the fire the past 3 nights and probably will again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

FREEZING in Dublin 5 right now, succumbed and have turned the heat on for the first time this autumn. It's half way through September ffs.
    Could have put it on over a month ago
    Didn't and won't for another month :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ENSO has unexpectedly begun to trend neutral to cold in recent weeks, very surprising considering that an El Nino was forecast for much of the year before being abruptly abandoned by forecasters during the early summer. If memory serves me correctly, La Nina tends to at least mean less Atlantic / PV influenced weather for us during winter, doesn't it?

And speaking of the PV, apparently there are already signs that it's already getting ready to fire up for 2017:

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/908882560020774912

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

ENSO has unexpectedly begun to trend neutral to cold in recent weeks, very surprising considering that an El Nino was forecast for much of the year before being abruptly abandoned by forecasters during the early summer. If memory serves me correctly, La Nina tends to at least mean less Atlantic / PV influenced weather for us during winter, doesn't it?

And speaking of the PV, apparently there are already signs that it's already getting ready to fire up for 2017:

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/908882560020774912

If you want to compare ENSO values and our weather, the best easiest way to do it is to compare the chart from NOAA with the monthly summary records from Met Eireann.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

https://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

We do get storms and flooding during a La Nina here. I couldn't tell you anything about the Polar Vortex.

You've other factors at play effecting the effects on our weather from ENSO such as MJO but I wouldn't be qualified or fully understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Early November temperatures at 1pm around the Met Stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nice morning has turned into a rotten afternoon, Rain and feeling cold

horrible day out there, bitterly cold and wet. Have heat on for now. I'm back almost a week now and it's been cold the entire time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

nagdefy wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Early November temperatures at 1pm around the Met Stations.

My father was saying there's snow behind this cold rain.:D
    Also that it's going to be a long winter.

Pretty cold out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

9C Ballyhaise Cavan at 4pm. Single digit temperature, mid afternoon, mid September, albeit in cold rain, would be rare enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Cloudy all day here and a max of around 11c
    Not pleasant
    But at least it's dry(for now)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I am not sure how, but it has remained dry here.
    Radar says rain, real-time conditions = no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

10c in Naas and raining. Still going around in a tshirt though. No need for heating yet but we will see if it triggers tonight. I have it set to turn on once the house temperature drops below 16C. It will be the first time since April if it happens.

I have odds it will be warmer Christmas day than today going by the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I wonder if we had this exact setup in January, would we be seeing snow or just cold rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

LEIN wrote: »
    I am not sure how, but it has remained dry here.
    Radar says rain, real-time conditions = no.

Yeah same in Arklow as I said
    Was working all day outside not even looking at the phone
    Shocked when I saw the radar
    A neighbour was cutting corn today

I don't think this rain that hasn't came here yet was forecast or was it?

Too busy to be updated

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I wonder if we had this exact setup in January, would we be seeing snow or just cold rain?

The pressure is all over the place today. I'd honestly think it'd be cold rain though really really depending on the air mass we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Not so bad in Tralee yesterday and today. Showers, but in between it's very pleasant, though cool and autumnal.

Cool and autumnal is fine with me at this stage if we could only get a few dry days together. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I don't think this rain that hasn't came here yet was forecast or was it?

Too busy to be updated

Fairly sure it was forecast, I was in Dublin all afternoon and it was miserable, cold and wet the whole time so you've dodged a bullet as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still raining and the fire is lit, a month earlier then last year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Only heard a weather forcast early Friday and I am pretty sure forcast refered to showers in the east as opposed to continious persistent rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

I would love the weather to remain cold from now until April if possible just a break from the usual mild chit.

nagdefy wrote: »
    One thing i'm personally very thankful for is that we don't have to endure a few months with no daylight like some parts of the arctic.

At least when a rain belt passes through, even in November/December there are generally afew hours of brightness either side of it.

I rely a lot on memory with regard to weather as it's just the way i am. Personally i don't think it's wetter or there are more storms. February 1988 and 1990 were as windy as Feb 2014 for me etc.

Summers always came in cycles. 1982-84 good, 1985-1988 poor, 1989 and 1990 good...very broadly speaking in terms of dry weather and warmth. The worst spell of summers for me has been 2007 to 2012, bar 2010. 2013 excellent, 2014 good, cooler August. 2015 poor. This summer seems just dead average up to August but poorer since then.

I'm only seeing this post now, did you say bar 2010 just because of me? :P Or do you legit think it's not as bad as people make it out to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lit the fire here for the first time this Autumn last night, I don't remember ever lighting it this early in the season before. Temperatures are really struggling these past few days, and tonight looks set to be a right old chilly one in South Laois.

Advertisement