Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got a low of -41.9c here this evening, then discovered a massive nest of earwigs in the transmitter unit of the Davis. Cumulus is a fecker to try and edit out all the crappy data - the error started after 1pm and it was near 7.30pm by the time I copped it and fixed the problem.

Anyone with ideas on how to clear the bad data out from all across cumulus please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

-41C was going to say wishful thinking but I think even the hardened weather nut may not want to see that.
    No advice but I wish you luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

pauldry wrote: »
    A description of todays weather in Sligo in one word.

Jaaaaayyyssiss!

Was'nt far of that description in meath today to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

To me looking through the models for this weekend and still uncertainty re the shape and timing of the weather. One factor that seems to be showing up in the main models is that the threat of storm winds has lessened considerably. Windy at times with gales at sea and along coasts ( more so Northern ) perhaps but nothing out of the ordinary at this stage.

Looks wet at times, the GFS showing a fair shot of rain in the W and across the midlands ( looks heavy on Sun ).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

much better today than yesterday, plenty of sunny spells and mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

My Rainfall for yesterday was 0.3mm :eek:

Checked my rain gauge and there was a spider party going on.

All nested in drinkin pints

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hardly any rain (apart from SW) recorded over the country on Tuesday? Yet that map shows > 10mm over much of the west? :confused:

datamet.png

(data from Met Éireann)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is that the rain clearing now? Got next to nothing here in West Clare, about 10-15minutes overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Hardly any rain (apart from SW) recorded over the country on Tuesday? Yet that map shows > 10mm over much of the west? :confused:

The webpage displays midnight to midnight (text) whilst your twitter maps are 10am-10am I'd imagine.

I hate the way they do that on the webpage (text) as I often like to compare my daily data to Gurteen and OakPark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    This is my official Autumn 2017 forecast:

September - Fairly cool, wet and sunny.
    October - Very wet, stormy and mild.
    November - Another very sunny November but wet and mild.

Whilst I could have been better at predicting the sun, I think this September was well predicted by myself to be cool and wet.

Meanwhile, it is already looking like my October prediction is going down the drain going by the current GFS outlook for early October. It is looking very anticyclonic and quiet. The ECMWF outlook is much more changeable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not weather related but this explosion in the Ukraine recently is pretty impressive, if not frightening.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another nice, sunny day with blue skies. With the exception of Wednesday, this past week has generally been very sunny and mild/warm.

Quite a squally shower with hail passed through West Clare just there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The leaves are really coming down today. Winter is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like a small but very potent shower is just about to pass over Limerick city, or perhaps ever so slightly north of it. Looks like it might even get sparky.

Nice Sat pic from earlier today showing T.S Maria and Hurricane Lee and the Storm to our NW heading towards Iceland.

ru5c4TV.jpg?1

QcVRAUm.png?1

Seeing some very different forecast charts over the last week, coming into a more reliable time frame with this very complex system and wondering if we could be seeing some potentially very strong winds along Northern coasts Sun evening into early Mon Morning with the Jet so fired up ?

9DFSzhY.png

60-289UK_abm5.GIF

arpegeuk-11-58-0_pox4.png

78.2mm here in West Clare so far, coming in above average already. Tomorrows rain should only add to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

152mm in Castlebar, which is better than the 210mm we got last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Seeing some very different forecast charts over the last week, coming into a more reliable time frame with this very complex system and wondering if we could be seeing some potentially very strong winds along Northern coasts Sun evening into early Mon Morning with the Jet so fired up ?

Next Wednesday might be a good shout for the first proper storm of the year, not really showing yet on the models but there's a good squeeze on the isobars and a wave developing to our north, plenty of examples in the past where charts like these suddenly develop into a storm at short notice

gfs-0-120_bhc6.png

Xenji wrote: »
    152mm in Castlebar, which is better than the 210mm we got last September.

Yes, some people tend to forget how wet last September was in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes, some people tend to forget how wet last September was in some places.

Well Kerry is the wettest county in Ireland. But it was a lot drier and milder last September, no doubt about that!

acequion wrote: »
    Well Kerry is the wettest county in Ireland. But it was a lot drier and milder last September, no doubt about that!

Valentia Observatory's rainfall statistics (Kerry's synoptic station)

September 2016: 182.7mm
    September 2017: 197.0mm

Not a huge difference.

But yes, last September was much milder.

Data: http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=2275

acequion wrote: »
    Valentia Observatory's rainfall statistics (Kerry's synoptic station)

September 2016: 182.7mm
    September 2017: 197.0mm

I found this funny, considering the debate we had a while ago.

Next Wednesday might be a good shout for the first proper storm of the year, not really showing yet on the models but there's a good squeeze on the isobars and a wave developing to our north, plenty of examples in the past where charts like these suddenly develop into a storm at short notice
    Yea looking at that one, looks interesting , potentially very windy for a time along coastal counties. No expert but I'm assuming a rapidly deepening frontal wave depression forming along the boundary of cold and warm air masses with a strong jet aiding development.

Looks like a deep trough/ cold front sweeping across the country possibly producing heavy rain and gusty winds for a time , positive tilt so not sure would it produce straight line winds ?

These charts are very early , long way off but just an idea what it might look like.

kYLoGih.gif?1

U120-21UK_njo8.GIF

tempresult_bhj7.gif

Qv0NHDN.gif?1

V8Heyyo.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I found this funny, considering the debate we had a while ago.

Some people are easily amused god love them :rolleyes:

What is actually very interesting in the data posted above is the much higher rainfall recorded at Valentia in June and July 2017 compared to a year previously.

Summer and autumn 2017 have been pretty dismal in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

So now instead of settled and seasonably warm next week we get a storm?
    Standard for the past 3 months
    Always next week until next week comes

• Advertisement

Windy day tomorrow with strong winds along the W, NW and N coasts towards evening.

tempresult_mhy0.gif

tempresult_iqz4.gif

Advertisement