Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

acequion wrote: »
    Some people are easily amused god love them :rolleyes:

What is actually very interesting in the data posted above is the much higher rainfall recorded at Valentia in June and July 2017 compared to a year previously.

Summer and autumn 2017 have been pretty dismal in Kerry.

Yes which is why I much preferred Summer 2016. I quote what I said at the end of Summer 2017 (which you thanked :D):
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Goodbye August and Summer 2017, you dreadful piece of sh!t.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Next Weds showing up very windy for a time on the GFS

tempresult_rxy8.gif

Whilst not very windy on the GFS 06z, it does show the prospects of somewhat windy conditions towards the north and northwest.

GFSOPEU06_96_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Delightful weather at the moment in Dublin. Was not expecting this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    78.2mm here in West Clare so far, coming in above average already. Tomorrows rain should only add to that.

This seems awfully low JCX for your location? Not a millions miles from you and I have almost double that?

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This seems awfully low JCX for your location? Not a millions miles from you and I have almost double that?

The peninsula seems to have a weakening effect on most of the rain here, it's like it splits it in two. Likewise alot of showers seem to miss here.

I'll be cleaning it out today just incase, if my October totals are much higher we'll know it's wrong!

The peninsula seems to have a weakening effect on most of the rain here, it's like it splits it in two. Likewise alot of showers seem to miss here.

I'll be cleaning it out today just incase, if my October totals are much higher we'll know it's wrong!

Anytime I was in west Clare I got soaked big time!

New Moon

Anytime I was in west Clare I got soaked big time!

Similar for me in Galway strangely enough!

No rain yet today.

Welcome to Ireland, the country of dozens of regional variations :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful day here, dry, plenty of sun and feeling very mild. That's about 6 really good days we've had over the past 10 days.

• Advertisement

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo and Clare
    On Sunday evening and night, west to southwest winds will reach speeds of 55 to 65 km with gusts of 65 to 85 km, mainly in coastsl areas

Issued:Saturday 30 September 2017 11:00
    Valid:Sunday 01 October 2017 17:00 to Monday 02 October 2017 03:00

They really don't stop coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

STATUS YELLOW

On Sunday evening and night, west to southwest winds will reach speeds of 55 to 65 km with gusts of 65 to 85 km, mainly in coastsl areas

It's a very minimal yellow warning. Only based on mean windspeed, which is barely gale force (Gale Force 8 only starts from 62 km/h). Gusts well below yellow criteria. I'm not sure why a warning is warranted at all.
    Weather Element
    Criteria for Yellow – Weather Alerts

1. Wind
    Mean Speeds between 50 and 65 km/h
    Gusts between 90 and 110 km/h
    8. Coastal Wind Warnings
    Gale Force 8 or Strong Gale Force 9. (Mean Speeds)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking through a few of the models I wonder have they underestimated the potential for 90 + km/h gusts on the W and NW coasts ( granted probably more or just on the coastal fringes and higher ground ). Reaching mean speeds of 55 to 65 Km/h seem to effect coastal fringes earlier in the night and move a bit more inland late Sun night into Mon morning. Looks a very blustery night across northern counties to me.

vmt7F1D.png

4jPHI6Z.png

9pmTCCL.png

8mlxVWg.png

fmGNd4s.png

Met Office have a yellow warning for Northern Ireland between 00.05 Mon 2nd to 23.55 Mon 2nd

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/914060651605176320

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

There wasnt a breeze here 10mins ago but the wind has picked up considerably since, cloudy and a little misty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

It's supposed to be dry until Wed evening? Does that sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tis fair windy in East Galway !

etselbbuns wrote: »
    It's supposed to be dry until Wed evening? Does that sound right?

For most parts yes but the chance of rain in the south and scattered showers in the north and northeast on Monday.

STATUS YELLOW

STATUS YELLOW

On Sunday evening and night, west to southwest winds veering west to northwest will reach speeds of 55 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 80 to 90 km/hr in coastal areas of the West and North.

Issued:Sunday 01 October 2017 09:00
    Valid:Sunday 01 October 2017 16:00 to Monday 02 October 2017 10:00

Updated one issued by ME

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

starting to brighten up here now after a drizzely morning, feeling very mild, almost warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Getting very windy here in Castlebar now.

The ARPEGE and HIRLAM showing 100+ km/h gusts on the coasts of Donegal in the early hours ( GFS not showing it as strong )

tempresult_mha8.gif

fmiuk-11-17-0_fvt9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Today was to the most weather-less day that I have experienced in a while.
    Grey and gloomy all day.

Max gust of 25kts in this 'wind event'. And that was recorded before the warning came in!

Max gust of 24kts in the last 10mins here in a fairly exposed area of West Clare.

Fairly blowy here now with some howls and whistles.

Autumn is coming.

New Moon

Any guess when we'll see our first proper named storm? (Aileen was a UK event).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm met reports. Malin head gusting 50 knots.

My total for September was 80mm. Total today was 1.8mm.

Max gust of 27kts here. Don't know why Clare was included in the warning at all really. Seems like more of a NW event.

A few notable wind speeds last night and in the early hours.

Malin Hd : 01.00, 72 km/h , gust 97 km/h
    Mace Hd : 00.00 61 km/h , gust 86 km/h
    Bellmullet : 22.00 58 km/h, gust 83 km/h

rafales_uk-23_umu4.png

rafales_uk-02_jec3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Can anyone say whether next week is looking any way dry or not?

Advertisement