Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Warmer tonight than it was during the day! Fairly windy though, hopefully a few extra leaves get stripped off the trees around my house before Monday's mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Only 15.8c in Sligo haha

Looked at thermometor n thought it was broke

It was actually chilly this morning

But 14 to 15c then 17c at 8pm but now gone down a tad.

20 or even 21c attainable in next 2 days

Whats Octobers record temperature

Prob 25c or something weird like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

MJohnston wrote: »
    Warmer tonight than it was during the day!
    Warmer tonight than it was during August! 17.0c now.
    I'm certain that it hasn't been this warm at midnight since July.
    Whats Octobers record temperature
    25.2c on October 3rd 1908. The sun would be almost two weeks stronger at the start of the month than now ...... if that makes sense which it probably doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

18c at Shannon

METAR EINN 130030Z 19010KT 9999 FEW012 OVC014 18/15 Q1008 TEMPO BKN010=

18.6c at 1000, not bad.
    20c+ a certainty today and a couple of degrees higher tomorrow I would think.
    edit: 18.8c at 1010.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temp here didnt dip below 17C all night, possibly one of the warmest nights of the whole year.

19C today, not sure 20C will be broken as there will be very little if any sun over next few days. Despite the warmth it is not a nice day here, drizzly and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

20c Pheonix Park 1100

Gonzo wrote: »
    temp here didnt dip below 17C all night, possibly one of the warmest nights of the whole year.

19C today, not sure 20C will be broken as there will be very little if any sun over next few days. Despite the warmth it is not a nice day here, drizzly and dark.
    Hazy sunshine and 20.8c here. I'm clearly getting the benefit of the Dublin and Wicklow Mts lee effect.
    I wonder what docarch is recording?
    The "hole" over Dublin shows up nicely on sat images.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pain in the hole is all this is
    Rain
    Warm
    Grass grows
    But too wet to cut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

How come it is currently 20c in Dublin but only 13c in Mayo? Both were hot(!) last night, but the Mayo temp has seriously fallen even though the rain & wind is roughly the same in both locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Trogdors Bray Station reading 23.1ºc as of 1:45pm. Google says 21ºc.

Wicklow Mountains Fohn is in effect as usual for Bray.

Oh Yeah I almost forgot...

Blue Skies today in the Costa Del Bray!! :D

430486.jpg

Dublin has a micro climate caused by mountains to the south which breaks up the cloud when theres a warm southerly Tm airflow. On September 28 2011 a temp of 26c was recorded at the Phoenix Park. Have a look at the visible satellite on met.ie and see the "hole" I mentioned a little earlier stretching right out into the Irish Sea.
    max today 21.2c, hazy sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dublin has a micro climate caused by mountains to the south which breaks up the cloud when theres a warm southerly Tm airflow. On September 28 2011 a temp of 26c was recorded at the Phoenix Park. Have a look at the visible satellite on met.ie and see the "hole" I mentioned a little earlier stretching right out into the Irish Sea.

430487.jpg

I always rave about the Summer of 2013 and 2014 in Bray. For a lot of people 2014's Summer was not memorable or if it was, its remembered for being mild but dull as dishwater. It was indeed dull as dishwater for 90% of the geographical area of the country and half the population, but for the other 10% of the area and 50% of the population it was nearly as good as 2013.

This was the story for most of the Summer of 2014. Convection would get going by mid morning nearly every day and most of the country would cloud over for the rest of the day

430489.jpg

.............except a 10 mile wide coastal strip down the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

temp did not fall below 16c last night with humidity between 98-100% throughout. Drab as feck still. Thought we'd be rid of this ****e by now at this stage of the year. :mad:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think our house is pretty close to the boundary of that gap - very dark heavy clouds looking north, very light broken clouds and blue skies looking south.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

etselbbuns wrote: »
    How come it is currently 20c in Dublin but only 13c in Mayo? Both were hot(!) last night, but the Mayo temp has seriously fallen even though the rain & wind is roughly the same in both locations

The windmap comes in handy here:
    https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=348.02,50.48,1123

You can see the island is divided between warm southerlies and cool westerlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Has turned into yet another wet day in East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Raining most of the day here in north meath today, just a horrible day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Raining most of the day here in north meath today, just a horrible day

Been a lovely day - apart from the oppressive humidity mixed with the high temperatures, here but now it's cloudy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Been a lovely day - apart from the oppressive humidity mixed with the high temperatures, here but now it's cloudy.

Oppressive humidity? And three days ago in Grange it was feeling "bitter" even though Dublin recorded 15c.

Granted it's humid today but "oppressive".... I don't think so.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    Oppressive humidity? And three days ago in Grange it was feeling "bitter" even though Dublin recorded 15c.

Granted it's humid today but "oppressive".... I don't think so.

Oppressive and bitter are very subjective words, it was feeling oppressive today due to the high humidity which is more than 95%.

I can't remember exactly why I said it was bitter on Tuesday.

Yeah, I do not see how 20c would be recorded in that.

I stand corrected :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Oppressive and bitter are very subjective words, it was feeling oppressive today due to the high humidity which is more than 95%.

I can't remember exactly why I said it was bitter on Tuesday.

The winds were rather strong today and temperatures barely got into the low 20s in the Dublin city area and southwards to North Wicklow. Oppressive is definitely not a fitting word for the subjective conditions. I went for a 5km walk just after lunchtime in the west city area. I needed an overcoat until I warmed up from walking, despite the fairly warm sunny spells. Some other pedestrians were wearing scarves and wooly hats and were well wrapped up.
    If it had been at least 5 degrees warmer and dead calm with similar humidity levels, then it could be considered borderline oppressive fur those who don't feel with warmth well. I'd be loving it though.

highdef wrote: »
    The winds were rather strong today and temperatures barely got into the low 20s in the Dublin city area and southwards to North Wicklow. Oppressive is definitely not a fitting word for the subjective conditions. I went for a 5km walk just after lunchtime in the west city area. I needed an overcoat until I warmed up from walking, despite the fairly warm sunny spells. Some other pedestrians were wearing scarves and wooly hats and were well wrapped up.
    If it had been at least 5 degrees warmer and dead calm with similar humidity levels, then it could be considered borderline oppressive fur those who don't feel with warmth well. I'd be loving it though.

:P wow your description was literally the opposite for me and lots of others in school. It was lunch and about 25% of the school had their jumpers off - it's not often at all you ever see that. P.S. being overweight does not help the situation whatsoever :cool:.

I reached 21.3c with (an estimated) 86% humidity and a minimum of 14.6c so....

Like I said, oppressive is a subjective word. Just because I say it's oppressive doesn't mean that it's oppressive everywhere in Ireland and for everybody.

Look even Oneiric 3 was pissed off with the high humidity today.

Let's please not start this rubbish all over again. Just leave it at that and move on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day today, hasn't stopped raining since I woke up this morning. The mild temperatures completely wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

A horrible day in Tralee. Drizzly and miserable all day with some downpours and constant black clouds. I do envy you guys over East where it's always a lot brighter.

High humidity here too, though it felt chilly as it was so damp and dull. Like another poster it was only when I went out for a walk /jog that I realised just how humid it actually was.

I reached 21.3c with 96% humidity and a minimum of 14.6c so....
    Me, 21.2c ........ thats 70 Fahrenheit which was used before our time but still in use in the US.
    It would be interesting to know what the latest 70F ever recorded in Ireland.
    I know the the November record is 68F or 20c.

I had a look through Met Eireann extremes and 21.2c (70F) was recorded at Dublin Airport on Oct 22nd 1971, thats officially the latest 70F ever recorded in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

acequion wrote: »
    A horrible day in Tralee. Drizzly and miserable all day with some downpours and constant black clouds. I do envy you guys over East where it's always a lot brighter.

High humidity here too, though it felt chilly as it was so damp and dull. Like another poster it was only when I went out for a walk /jog that I realised just how humid it actually was.

I'm near the Dublin Kildare border and it was dark and drizzly all day today as well, as it has been most days this month, very little sunshine and constantly damp

Same for me with the humidity though, wore a jacket leaving the house this morning and was down to a t shirt by time time I got into town. Having spent the first half of this year in the Asian tropics though I definitely wouldn't consider it oppressive, would have gladly taken another 10 degrees warmer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

:P wow your description was literally the opposite for me and lots of others in school. It was lunch and about 25% of the school had their jumpers off - it's not often at all you ever see that. P.S. being overweight does not help the situation whatsoever :cool:.

I reached 21.3c with 96% humidity and a minimum of 14.6c so....

Like I said, oppressive is a subjective word. Just because I say it's oppressive doesn't mean that it's oppressive everywhere in Ireland and for everybody.

Look even Oneiric 3 was pissed off with the high humidity today.

You didn't get 96% humidity at a temperature of 21.3, as that would mean your dewpoint was around 21 degrees, which is unheard of in Ireland, even in high summer. The highest dewpoint in Dublin today was 16 degrees.

I only point this out because there is a huge difference between 98% at 16 degrees and at 21 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

acequion wrote: »

It’s a very select few in the east that seem to get this better weather. The rest of us experience a totally different climate.

Advertisement