Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I saw that earlier on FB, still love the naming of the storms procedure!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A strong Jet helping to spin the deep LP or possible storm on Sun . Very low central pressure with steep gradients.

uaeCISR.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Aileen may be on our doorstep this weekend while Irma will be smashing into the u.s at roughly the same time.

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

Actually kinda looking forward to this, for once a bit of weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I saw that earlier on FB, still love the naming of the storms procedure!

Those names would not be out of place in Ireland.
    Especially Aileen and Larry.

Tali and the skoda not so much.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I presume the names are still jointly put together by Met Éireann and the UK met office,hence the prevalence of Irish names

I presume the names are still jointly put together by Met Éireann and the UK met office,hence the prevalence of Irish names

Yup, that's it, ME and UKMO entered an agreement a few years ago to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

'Storm Winifred' already sounds like a real beast. :rolleyes , but still no way as threatening sounding as 'Storm Rebecca'.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will be home late Saturday night, 36C expected here near Malaga on Saturday, the cold and the wind is gonna cut me in two when I arrive home Saturday night, really dreading it.

Arriving home to another roughly 48 weeks of low to mid teen temperatures is a very bitter pill to swallow, no heat, no proper winter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    the cold and the wind is gonna cut me in two when I arrive home Saturday night, really dreading it.

You'll have the heating full on, fire roaring and a hot water bottle in the bed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Any chance of an "Indian summer" this September?
    We normally get a few hot days around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Any chance of an "Indian summer" this September?
    We normally get a few hot days around now.

An Indian Summer cannot take place in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

what look likes could be the first wind event of the Autumn
    "I hope I can get tickets to that!"

Would people stop being pedantic about the term Indian summer and take it for what most people take it as i.e. Summer weather in September or October

I'm revising my thoughts on winter by the way,I'm thinking this hyper hurricane activity suggests conditions for cold maybe some severe cold in winter
    Just a hunch based on how busy the 2010 season was
    I could be wrong

Would people stop being pedantic about the term Indian summer and take it for what most people take it as i.e. Summer weather in September or October

I'm revising my thoughts on winter by the way,I'm thinking this hyper hurricane activity suggests conditions for cold maybe some severe cold in winter
    Just a hunch based on how busy the 2010 season was
    I could be wrong

No, I will not use the terms incorrectly. I get frustrated with the wide misuse of heatwave all the time.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, I will not use the terms incorrectly. I get frustrated with the wide misuse of heatwave all the time.

How pedantic!
    There are more things in life to worry about trust me than that level of extreme pedanticism

Indian Summer is a term in use for 100's of years to describe warmer than usual autumn weather
    It's 100's of years establishment as a term dwarfs into specs of dust more recent terms like 'selfie' or 'baltic' or many modern new terms
    But to each their own including if it's a very tiny own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Ok any chances of some nice weather this September?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ok any chances of some nice weather this September?

Not looking like there will be any in the first half of the month anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wrote this a while back on 'What is an Indian Summer'

https://irishweatheronline.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/what-is-an-indian-summer/

Read and learn... :P:P

New Moon

How pedantic!
    There are more things in life to worry about trust me than that level of extreme pedanticism

Indian Summer is a term in use for 100's of years to describe warmer than usual autumn weather
    It's 100's of years establishment as a term dwarfs into specs of dust more recent terms like 'selfie' or 'baltic' or many modern new terms
    But to each their own including if it's a very tiny own

It's a term used to describe a period of unusually dry and warm weather in October and November, usually after the first frost.

I don't worry about things like this, I have learnt the definitions as they are supposed to.

So you're telling me that it don't matter about definitions? It's completely alright to misuse words or terms. Here this is not English class, I should not be talking about something as ridiculous as this. I've misused words or terms before - such as "intended" which I used as a synonym of expected but it isn't so I stopped doing so.

Met Éireann have done this mistake themselves. Look at the September 1991 monthly weather bulletin by them - or the November 1991 monthly weather bulletin and go to where it has a summary on Autumn 1991 as a whole. They mention the very warm spell of early September 1991 being an Indian Summer which it was not. September 2016 had a similar period of weather but it was not an Indian Summer either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Actually feeling chilly today :(

Apart from Sunday and Monday night, I'm loving this September so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Apart from Sunday and Monday night, I'm loving this September so far.

has it been dry so far or much in the way of rain?

Gonzo wrote: »
    has it been dry so far or much in the way of rain?

There's been quite a bit especially in the west and south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

An Indian Summer cannot take place in September.

Of course it can. A few warm sunny days is all that's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A very dark, wet and windy day in Castlebar, a slight chill in the air also.

I get the feeling this is gonna a very different Autumn to last year, much more cool and unsettled.

Lets hope the Atlantic dies down for a few months around the middle of November to let the fun begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What about that old chestnut about the weather always being good when the kids go back to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

What about that old chestnut about the weather always being good when the kids go back to school?

What about that old chestnut about there being 4 seasons!
    Feels like we have been stuck in late autumn since june

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Charts after a few runs still showing very windy conditions on Sun / Mon

Gusts

tempresult_zdy8.gif

tempresult_vhv5.gif

Advertisement