Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A mere 6.8c here, had a fairly heavy shower of rain followed by drizzle now.

It's not often you get drizzle during temperatures under 7c!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Becoming more and more likely of stormy weather taking place during the latter half of November.

If the current charts from the models on next week stay consistent, we could be seeing Storm Caroline hit our shores around Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

So the cold weather predicted here earlier in the thread is gone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If the current charts from the models on next week stay consistent, we could be seeing Storm Caroline hit our shores around Thursday.

Yea sryanbreun the charts look like they are getting lively again in from the Atlantic.

• Advertisement

So the cold weather predicted here earlier in the thread is gone?

For the end of November yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

For the end of November yes.

It's all for the better IMO. We have plenty of time... hopefully:)

nagdefy wrote: »
    It's all for the better IMO. We have plenty of time... hopefully:)

I had learned last year to lower my expectations so I am not disappointed at all.

I had learned last year to lower my expectations so I am not disappointed at all.

I try to have no expectations and therefore cannot be disappointed but pleasantly surprised :)

I haven't succeeded!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overnight low of -3.1c with a grass min of -7.0c. Sunny with some high cloud on and off today with highs of 8.4c. Temperatures dropped below 5c just after dark but have risen to between 6c and 7c presently here in south Laois.

• Advertisement

5c is the lowest temperature (recorded at 3 stations, Dunsany, Knock and Belmullet) at 2am. Part of me thinks that the low of 0c forecast by ME won't be reached tonight!

Up over to 11.8c here in West Clare, any reason for the large amount of warming since 4pm bringing the temperature up by 6c?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    any reason for the large amount of warming since 4pm bringing the temperature up by 6c?

Warm front moved in over Munster yester evening.

image.png

Temp stuck between 6c - 7c here in Galway since 3pm yesterday afternoon. Lowest variation over an almost 24hr period that I can recall.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Pretty grey pretty typical November Irish day. 9 degrees grey slate clouds down to the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the cold spells from the north and east which were being teased are well and truly gone now, looks like a fairly mobile Atlantic for next few weeks, however still a chance for a few short lived northerly topplers could happen over next few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yes certainly looking wet and windy next week, looking like a right November week, models differing on track and intensity of systems but looks quite unsettled at times, even a hint of some cold wintry weather in the North of the country next weekend.

tempresult_qah2.gif

tempresult_ibz1.gif

HP in Europe doing a good job next week of stalling the frontal systems as they approach our waters making for relatively slow moving progress and they seem to stack up as the week goes on. The jet arcing around the HP on mainland Europe ,S and SW winds giving relatively mild day time temperatures (some mild nights also) for much of the week up until about Thurs at this stage. Looking cooler after that and maybe wintry ?

nmm-9-108-0_ngt6.png

102-778UK_png5.GIF

xRzDean.gif?1

aPD1Oxp.gif

A0OBEe3.gif

Cold front moving over now? Dropped to 8.9c in West Clare rather suddenly.

gfs-0-156.png?12

Caroline possibly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cusack on the sauce - "Low to mid 20s"! :eek: :pac:

I had to pause and rewind to make sure I heard it correctly!

• Advertisement

Ger's retirement party was good i'd say. Wink, wink ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A bit off topic but starting on Channel 4 +1 in a minute is Volatile Earth: Killer Hurricane.

It certainly looks like a week of big contrasts. The mild start of the week looks to quickly change as weds goes on, some very low 850 hPa and 500 hPa Temps showing up on the ECM .

tempresult_mez3.gif

Ww7trKX.png

GINOgfE.png

Met Eireann 'Thursday and Friday: Cold both days, with occasional showers, some possibly wintry on high ground. But some bright or short sunny spells also. Highs of 4 to 8 C., best over south Munster and south Leinster. Cold and frosty after dark, with some icy roads. Scattered showers also, some wintry in the west and north of the country.'

Donegal Storm mentioned a complex setup , will be very interesting to see the week develop, big difference between the models from about mid week. Picked out some of the juicy charts but these are far from agreement with the other models , will have to wait and see each day.

ECU1-96_vfo8.GIF

???? Not showing on the other models.

arpegeuk-11-114-0_nig1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A very dynamic set up so it's all guesswork after Wednesday really. Looks like being rather windy on that day mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Did Joanna just do a Gerald Fleming style wink on the weather forecast after the Nine news?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A very dynamic set up so it's all guesswork after Wednesday really. Looks like being rather windy on that day mind...

My Windy app on Android has been fluctuating a lot, now presenting a wind event on the 26th. Anyone know what the models are saying? I'm no expert.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think this week is going to be terribly exciting, at least for snow lovers. Mild and unsettled for first half of week, then colder with showers into Friday then a crispy, dry and cold weekend from the look of things. Anything wintry will be mostly confined to N. Ireland and the hills of the north-west.

• Advertisement

A long way off especially when moving into such a complicated spell of weather but two European models picking up this vigorous system on Fri ? Will see how it pans out.

tempresult_kyf4.gif

ECM showing windy conditions on the coasts on Thurs

XlmfJ50.png

Advertisement