Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The difference between ECM and GFS at +240 is laughable, an absolute joke!
    An Azores high or an Azores low ..... northern blocking or zonal - take yer pick! :D
    I really have no idea why I still bother to look at charts beyond +144, will I ever learn?

ECM1-240.GIF?22-12
    gfs-0-240.png?6

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

plenty of flooding around Dunshaughlin on the side roads at least, very big floods on Lagore Road, had to do a u-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Feeling frigid here in West mayo,compared to yesterday, met eireann forecasting showers of hailstones tonight with thunder possible,as the cold air moves down over the relatively warm SST along the west coast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Persistent light rain in Dublin 16. 24.2mm since midnight. Looks like another pulse of rain heading northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rain from event has totaled out at 34.8mm here in West Clare, wettest day in months!

Rapid drop in temperature to a cool 6.8c now, I can assume it'll continue to drop, and my Davis has a snowflake symbol on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Flooding has worsened here, just back home for lunch and a large lake has appeared in the field next door that wasn't there this morning, river has burst it's banks as well, local road just about passable with water half way up the tyres

Was there flooding also in November 2010 before the artic outbreak,can anyone remember???

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Flooding has worsened here, just back home for lunch and a large lake has appeared in the field next door that wasn't there this morning, river has burst it's banks as well, local road just about passable with water half way up the tyres

It’s seems met forgot Connacht and ulster existed when issuIng warning last night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was there flooding also in November 2010 before the artic outbreak,can anyone remember???

There was, road here was ripped to pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement

Southwestern England flooding on November 17th 2010 also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a contrast across the UK atm.

17c atm at Hawarden (near Liverpool) and 2c at Tulloch Bridge (in Scotland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Persistent light rain in Dublin 16. 24.2mm since midnight. Looks like another pulse of rain heading northwards.

Hardly any rain in Arklow since morning
    Last few hours it’s been raining,I’m out in it ,(yet to get lunch!) and it’s only drops

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

once the left overs of rain and drizzle clear's away it should be mostly dry over the next 3-4 days across flooded areas of Meath, Dublin and Kildare, these dry conditions will be very much welcomed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Drop in temp came earlier here (NE Galway) than it did in Dan's graph above.

image.png

Currently very drab and damp with a temp of 5.2c.

New Moon

First dusting of snow here in Mayo on the mweelra mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

First dusting of snow here in Mayo on the mweelra mountains.

Mweelrea is a fantastic climb. It must be epic with snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Gonzo wrote: »
    once the left overs of rain and drizzle clear's away it should be mostly dry over the next 3-4 days across flooded areas of Meath, Dublin and Kildare, these dry conditions will be very much welcomed at this stage.

Any ideas as to when this rain will actually stop? I've seen photos of the tolka around Dunboyne and it's close to overflow in parts.
    It's almost as bad as anything I've ever seen around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick temperatures dropping back.

6c at the moment. Grey skies might ward off frost

Some of the higher peaks in Connacht and Ulster could be getting a dusting at the moment looking at some of the temperatures and precip.

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    Any ideas as to when this rain will actually stop? I've seen photos of the tolka around Dunboyne and it's close to overflow in parts.
    It's almost as bad as anything I've ever seen around here.

it depends on which part of Leinster your in. It's starting to clear Dublin and south-east Meath, although it's really just been light drizzle since 9am this morning. Could be another good few hours of rain across southern Leinster and Munster. Showers across the west and north-west are unlikely to make it into Leinster. There should be plenty of drying over the next 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clear skies just to the north west of Castlebar now. frost for a while here if the clearance comes a bit further in. 4 degrees currently in little or no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looking at radar, looks like rain will (re)intensify (again) for Dublin shortly.

The areas of below average height anomalies on the UKMO 12z almost look like a big tooth :P.

tHlLJrF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm not sure what their timescale is there, but that's verging on Orange level rainfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The areas of below average height anomalies on the UKMO 12z almost look like a big tooth :P.

Reminds me of when we were kids of 8 and 9 at home (myself and my brother) and my dad brought in a tooth he said had fallen out of his mouth. It was huge and we were staring in wonder, then he told us it was one he found that a horse lost:D

Think this late autumn/winter is shaping up a little differently than recent ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I've just put up the Christmas Tree with the arrival of cold weather:) I know it's very early but i love the lights and watching tv in the dark!!

If wintry precipitation falls on the Wicklow mountains at some stage over the next few days that's generally good news for us as we get a bit of snow usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at radar, looks like rain will (re)intensify (again) for Dublin shortly.

It's been continuous moderate rain in Arklow for the past 4 hours
    Quite a flood now

• Advertisement

Down to 2c at Knock.

Meanwhile, 4.9c here in West Clare.

Advertisement