Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Severe frost?? Nowhere 'fine' on the 9pm reports and 8 stations 'cloudy' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Serious upgrade on snow tomorrow for the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

-1c in Athenry at 9pm, meanwhile beginning to drop slowly here in West Clare, still a warm 4.6c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Well they must be expecting it to be Baltic tonight the road gritter just went past my house hitting the door with grit as it passed. I've not seen gritters out here in over 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Can you elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

What's this based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

GFS 18z has a band of precipitation across the south tomorrow afternoon. ECM does not have this. I wonder what that's all about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good spot!

Will try and dig deeper. I notice EURO4 brings something more organised in from the Atlantic also...

Probably the risk of a comma feature developing in the cold, unstable air...

500hPa temps over the Sea are down to -37C, well behind the polar front and in a non baroclinic zone...probably more risk of a polar low type developed in this synoptic than the recent faux PL...

SSTs off the west coast are around +12c with 500hPa temperatures of -36...

I think i read somewhere, when this temperature difference approached 50 degrees- you can get very active convection and potential for a strong comma to take on polar low characteristics - so not to be ruled out.

17112403_2312.gif

17112409_2312.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

2.3C here near Tralee with frost forming on the roof of the cars

Calm with cloudy patches and some clear sky showing

temp_uk_szw7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

JCX BXC wrote: »
    -1c in Athenry at 9pm, meanwhile beginning to drop slowly here in West Clare, still a warm 4.6c.

Back up to 0, nice frost out there now. Looking forward to the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Will see if the troughs amount to much and produce some wintry precipitation tomorrow / Saturday.

ELOppHr.gif?1

u5ShVcX.gif?1

tempresult_ckm4.gif

tempresult_rex5.gif

tempresult_byq5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Good spot!

Will try and dig deeper. I notice EURO4 brings something more organised in from the Atlantic also...

Probably the risk of a comma feature developing in the cold, unstable air...

500hPa temps over the Sea are down to -37C, well behind the polar front and in a non baroclinic zone...probably more risk of a polar low type developed in this synoptic than the recent faux PL...

SSTs off the west coast are around +12c with 500hPa temperatures of -36...

I think i read somewhere, when this temperature difference approached 50 degrees- you can get very active convection and potential for a strong comma to take on polar low characteristics - so not to be ruled out.

It's 52 degrees of a difference, so normally you'd be looking for sub-minus 40 degrees 500 hPa up further north where polar lows normally form. Down south here obviously a few degrees less. However, with the strong gradient I can't see a polar low forming. Plenty of showers alright, many of hail and possibly low-level snow in the north. I can't see much for the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

N81 Baltinglass -4.5 at 6:20am,by far the coldest spot according to NRA weather, if met eirrean had an official station there in 2010 I am convinced it would have beaten all time low temp.measured in market street Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

+3.1c lowest overnight temperature. +4c now with a shower looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very frosty in north meath this morning, love mornings like this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dipped to -2°C overnight now +0.8°

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

Can people add there location please, makes it a little easier to follow 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

joe199 wrote: »
    Can people add there location please, makes it a little easier to follow ��

For the likes of weather reports, you're best using the www version of the site. That way, you will see that most of the regular posters do indeed have their location (and often ASL) in their profiles on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Still 0 Celsius and very frosty here near Arklow
    Beautiful sunshine and flat calm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Back up to 0, nice frost out there now. Looking forward to the morning.

My anticipation of wintery precipitation soon turned to trepidation as the wet snow/sleet mix froze onto cars and paths and left roads a slippery mess.
    Ahh, the reality of Autumn / Winter in the western half of Ireland below 200 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

None. You know Galway only gets rain :)

I can confirm, its raining in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS 18z continues with the northerly from Tuesday onwards and so does the big Tooth! :p

9pOxRGG.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice bright morning here today good to see the grey slate skies gone for a while anyway. Frost cleared very quick so nice day to get out and about.

A brief interlude of a tad milder conditions ( mainly on the Western side ) with the passage of a frontal system as winds back to the SW on Sun morning before veering to the WNW / NW again later that evening.

Wu8IWRQ.gif?1

tempresult_ckz3.gif

tempresult_uar3.gif

tempresult_yqs2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

114-7UK.GIF?25-12

Ulster/Connaught and east Coast might get some snow wednesday-thursday this week. Irish Sea streamers overnight Wednesday into Thursday morning? The temperatures, wind direction and 850 temps are there on the GFS 12z anyway. UKMO really just dry and cold though - no real snow chances unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

The bad news is that the models have the Atlantic high quickly collapsing and leaving us in cold but dry. Good news is that there are signs of blocking at the end of next week which are all over the place obviously but all the models seem to be forecasting a variation of it.

The bad news is that the models have the Atlantic high quickly collapsing and leaving us in cold but dry. Good news is that there are signs of blocking at the end of next week which are all over the place obviously but all the models seem to be forecasting a variation of it.

I don't consider that bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I don't consider that bad news.

If you want snow that is! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dry
    Good news

• Advertisement

If you want snow that is! :P

Oh I do want/would like snow but definitely not expecting it, crisp Winter sunshine and frosty conditions is more than enough for me.

Advertisement