Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

To think 7 years ago today, I was snowed under wrapped up tight in my scarf, hat and gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heavy sleet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mostly sunny and dry here all day, feeling cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    To think 7 years ago today, I was snowed under wrapped up tight in my scarf, hat and gloves.

Analysis chart from this day 7 years ago (UK Met)

map.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ECM 12z has just enough of a NNE breeze to blow showers on shore east coast on Wednesday, uppers are 1 or 2 degrees higher than on GFS though... There's also a little kink in the isobar running down the east coast Wednesday night into thursday- might explain the warmer uppers if there's a small feature with an associated warm sector.

Kink is over Scotland on this chart -

ECMOPUK12_48_2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's some November 2010 photos of Ireland.

icGskNy.jpg

bg5WXme.jpg

JMT5hMl.jpg

aFpIMQQ.jpg

EiqLxMs.jpg

UXdvBRI.jpg

rwpByBt.jpg

And here's some videos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Ah the memories. This day 7 years ago in Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

A few more snow pics from 27-30 November 2010 in South East Laois.

23844655_10155933728940908_4348427504448299273_n.jpg?oh=51057d1d0410b0ac1fff99b1eeec4483&oe=5A9CD9ED

24059133_10155933729140908_8205659989553114427_n.jpg?oh=327d93f1f590b6cde7c7a12b48c695f3&oe=5A92B053

24129587_10155933728885908_5626258292320912765_n.jpg?oh=0c1ad5903a200370743888355bac2deb&oe=5AD411AD

24129656_10155933729145908_9131941612376867054_n.jpg?oh=a1f147da5f4828bc2451820bd09fc0e9&oe=5A9129B4

24058917_10155933728915908_2754297968122587993_n.jpg?oh=13dc4f18168f33af6d4234e6ce606862&oe=5A95D4F3

23905259_10155933729150908_365182263901325161_n.jpg?oh=19f6cf9f0c83d0ee61c485a7bbfe7218&oe=5AD12409

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

As we come to the end of the Autumn its safe to say rain has been well above normal in Sligo

After an earlier 6 months of drier than normal seasons the past 5 months are all wetter and the Garavogue is close to bursting after the thunderstorms and continuous showers of past 7 days.

Id say theresbeen 100mm since this day last week

Finner Markree n Belmullet have not been this wet though which is strange

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

totally agree about the past 5 months. The Atlantic has been firing on all cylinders since early to mid July across the country with a lot of rain and unsettled weather.

The majority of this Autumn has been wet and unsettled. Only recently have things quietened down slightly, although even last week we had biblical rain with some severe flooding in parts of Leinster. The past week has seen mostly cold and dry conditions with night time frosts away from the western and northern parts of the country.

Parts of the west and midlands were lucky enough to see a dusting of snow. From memory, this cold spell is nowhere nearly as cold as the cold spell we had towards the end of November last year where we had at least one ice day and some extremely severe frosts which lasted through the day in shaded areas. Once that cold spell was over we all know how mild last winter was.

I am really looking forward to this winter, looking ahead over the next few weeks anything can happen. We have just come out of a lengthy spell of a very active Atlantic, lets hope the Atlantic is put to sleep over the next 3 months and something more seasonal and fun comes our way this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

There has been a huge variation in weather across the country in the last few months. While the west has been soaked, the east has been relatively dry. Even in the last 10 days, we have really had only one really wet day in the east but there have been constant downpours in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Today turned a little nastier than I thought it would here today, with showers just spewing down from the north that appear to be getting more intense as the day wears one. One just cleared and another just waiting in the wings. Taken 5 mins ago:

wsho.png

If it had been a 2 or 3 degrees cooler there would have been quite a nice bit of snow today, of that I am sure, but alas, naught but cold rain instead. I just hope that this is not going to be a common theme during this coming winter... again.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Here’s my view from near Arklow of the distant cloud tops from the extensive shower activity over the Irish sea right now

we had another day with wall to wall sunshine just like yesterday, only a few clouds in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Today turned a little nastier than I thought it would here today, with showers just spewing down from the north that appear to be getting more intense as the day wears one. One just cleared and another just waiting in the wings. Taken 5 mins ago:

wsho.png

If it had been a 2 or 3 degrees cooler there would have been quite a nice bit of snow today, of that I am sure, but alas, naught but cold rain instead. I just hope that this is not going to be a common theme during this coming winter... again.

I think Its our ideal scenario for snow when the conditions are right.
    We had nasty hail in the city around 1:30, just escaped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I thought Gerrys forecast this evening was very understated. It's going to be bitterly cold next few days with a significant wind chill yet he's talking cold as if it's no big deal.....He really does struggle with the whole cold/snow thing. A poor forecast imo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some showers again tomorrow and as the country is under colder upper air maybe more wintry stuff especially on high ground. Met Eireann mentions some showers on the E coast also. Temps set to get low early in the night, freezing in places from about 20.00.

tempresult_wwt6.gif

tempresult_imn7.gif

nmm_uk1-16-18-4_akq3.png

nmm_uk1-21-17-4_nsp0.png

nmm_uk1-41-25-4_cms7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Some showers again tomorrow and as the country is under colder upper air maybe more wintry stuff especially on high ground. Met Eireann mentions some showers on the E coast also. Temps set to get low early in the night, freezing in places from about 20.00.

tempresult_imn7.gif

I've never been so tantalised by the prospect of being touched by some pink fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I thought Gerrys forecast this evening was very understated. It's going to be bitterly cold next few days with a significant wind chill yet he's talking cold as if it's no big deal.....He really does struggle with the whole cold/snow thing. A poor forecast imo

His background is a farming one in Monaghan, maybe hilly ground etc and he's a hardy, sporty enough fella that doesn't feel the cold. Just a guess.

Either that or the winters he's experienced in the US means it takes severe cold to get to him..

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Slight ground frost here in West Clare, 2.8c currently.

Meanwhile Kerry Airport is reporting -3c at 8am.

• Advertisement

still a bit frosty here, this is the latest time of the day I've seen frost on the ground so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A lovely bright sunny day here, cold but not bitter or with any real windchill. As usual your criticism of the met is largely unfounded

I'd gladly take a week of this though it looks like cloud will increase in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

A lovely bright sunny day here, cold but not bitter or with any real windchill. As usual your criticism of the met is largely unfounded

I'd gladly take a week of this though it looks like cloud will increase in the next few days

Agreed, lovely day to be out and about. Forecast seems pretty much spot on, thank you Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Much brighter here in Castlebar now after a morning of heavy showers. top of Neiphin is white. 5 degrees. no windchill in calm conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yes it's a lovely day. Do we get more sunny days in Autumn/Winter than our God awful Summers here in Ireland? It certainly feels that way, and way less wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Much brighter here in Castlebar now after a morning of heavy showers. top of Neiphin is white. 5 degrees. no windchill in calm conditions.

Same temp over here in Wicklow but the breeze would cut you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's bitterly cold in Dublin 7 anyway - biting, damp winds even though it's cloudless and sunny.

3rd day in a row now with dazzling sunshine and blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    3rd day in a row now with dazzling sunshine and blue skies.

Yeah, terrific last 3 days, ya just know we're going to pay for this at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cool (bitter wind) at 7.1c here in West Clare, sunny but showers looking.

Advertisement