Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options
1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Temperatures in the minus 60s Fahrenheit have been recorded in Siberia this week. This is more typical of the heart of winter, not late November. Some of this arctic air could spill into the central and eastern U.S. in 7 to 10 days :cool:, mmmm which may power up the jet stream. I did say may 'cause as I said yesterday in the Winter forecast, the Atlantic seems to be too blocked right now for a quick return to mild and zonal conditions. But hey you never know with the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Today’s Irish Sea showers are for the fishes again but they are a lot closer,maybe only 20km’s out to sea,they look impressive from land!

Air temp here has been hovering around 4.4c with dew point 0 or -1 variable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I thought Gerrys forecast this evening was very understated. It's going to be bitterly cold next few days with a significant wind chill yet he's talking cold as if it's no big deal.....He really does struggle with the whole cold/snow thing. A poor forecast imo
    I’m not sure it’s Gerry that’s struggling at all. Forecast was spot on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I’m not sure it’s Gerry that’s struggling at all. Forecast was spot on.

yep forecast was spot in. The chances of most of us seeing even one flake of snow is slim to none over the next few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking very cold across Ireland tonight, 1.3C here near Tralee atm EDIT: 0.4C now

temp_uk_ulb5.png

Showers forecast to continue this evening in Ulster ,Connacht and W Munster with cloud increasing and according to Met Eireann with the risk of showers continuing into N Leinster.

DrqTp1v.gif

Trough moving down over Ireland

tempresult_zfo6.gif

wBvQ0sh.gif?1

uZ4WfpU.jpg?1

nmm_uk1-16-11-4_jib3.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2.7c in West Clare

I've noticed that in this North/Northwesterly flow, the temperature here seems to get down to a certain level in the early evening and then not drop much below that.

Very disappointing for frost here, no air frosts and this morning was the first grass frost, which was patchy.

For my location we really need a NNE-ESE flow to get a proper frost.

8pm reports:

Casement is -1c
    Kerry airport below 0c
    Dunsany Meath and Mullingar at 0c.

Meanwhile 2.4c here in West Clare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

2.3c here in Waterford City

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's the ARPEGE forecast sounding for Mullingar later tonight, showing how a layer capable of supporting wet snow down to ground level. Wet bulb hovers around zero through the lowest few hundred metres. Some areas will wake up to a dusting tomorrow morning.

434850.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Alex Deakin with a forecast for the next 10 days, great detail showing models agreeing and not agreeing
    https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/videos/10155376287689209/

No ME station at 0 or sub-zero at Midnight.

Lowest temperature is 1c.

No frost here last night either near Arklow
    Warmer cooler,warmer cooler as we head into mid December seems to be on the menu
    Nothing excitingly wintry other than storms perhaps

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

No frost here last night either near Arklow
    Warmer cooler,warmer cooler as we head into mid December seems to be on the menu
    Nothing excitingly wintry other than storms perhaps

yep, very frosty here early yesterday evening and it melted during the night as milder and cloudier conditions moved over. Looks like most of us could be back edging into double figures for the weekend.

Being honest I haven't really enjoyed the past 2 weeks of cold weather as it really didn't deliver on anything other than making us feel very cold and expensive heating bills. I would rather the mild weather be back if it's just not going to snow for now.

Let's hope we see something much more interesting after Christmas and into January! It's really an easterly I am banking on, as most other cold spells just fail to deliver, I've never really been a a fan of northerly's or Atlantic based cold spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gonzo wrote: »
    Being honest I haven't really enjoyed the past 2 weeks of cold weather as it really didn't deliver on anything other than making us feel very cold and expensive heating bills. I would rather the mild weather be back if it's just not going to snow for now.

Speak for yourself! In the past few weeks here, cold has generally meant dry, sunny, and calm, mild has meant wet, dull, and windy. Snow or not, the cold sunny days are infinitely preferable for me.

According to Sunday’s ECM today was to be the coldest day of the week

It might end up being the mildest

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

How’s that for ECMWF accuracy at just T96 ...

Raining now in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Its got a weird look about it here in Dublin 17,sky looks wintery,few have said the same,only thing that will fall will be rain i'd say

had almost an hour of cold, cold rain, clearing up now and sun beginning to make an appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Parts of NE and E England being pelted by heavy snow showers for hours now. Convection on radar is impressive..very envious. Cloudy here with a few spits of rain earlier, cold NW wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Eagerly awaiting the 12z GFS models to roll out. The 6z was tasty but I've a feeling the next run will not be so good. I truly hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Video from TWO of snow in Yorkshire today:

Piddling light rain showers here all day - even when there are no clouds overhead! Just no drying at all. I don't recall northerlies being this saturated with high humidity before.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just had a sleety/grauple type shower here in maynooth.

Just had a sleety/grauple type shower here in maynooth.

had an icey rain/grauple shower here recently as well, only lasted about 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Had nearly 24 hours of snow in Slovakia, it should sate my snow cravings for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Last day of an Autumn that started in mid July and never left. Looking forward to...........probably more of the same

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

km79 wrote: »
    Last day of an Autumn that started in mid July and never left. Looking forward to...........probably more of the same

I know it’s depressing isn’t it ....... No seasons 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm met reports.

Cold inland with clear spells and light winds
    Casement -2
    Oak park 0
    Phoenix park 0
    Dublin Airport 0

much milder and cloudier along coasts with Valentia at 7 degrees and Belmullet 6 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The confirmed CET for November 2017 was 6.8c. This is interesting as November 2012 had a CET of 6.8c also. 2012 was the last really active hurricane season before 2017. 2016 was an active season but nothing extraordinary besides Hurricane Matthew and the fact that it began in January. September 2012 was similarly wet to September 2017. Not to mention, both Septembers had similar amounts of wet days. 2011/12 was a Weak La Nina, 2012/13 was ENSO neutral but on the colder side - 2017/18 is expected to be a Weak La Nina going by the stage of the ENSO region right now but it could be similar to 2012/13 as you never know. Last but not least, the progression of the snow cover from Siberia to Europe has been very similar to November 2012 too.

These were just some quirky similarities I thought I'd share.

• Advertisement
Advertisement