Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some huge seas coinciding with high tides tomorrow evening on Atlantic coasts when the onshore winds should be near their strongest .

yJgu6qH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Coastal flooding looking like more and more of a big risk now. Hopefully nearby Kilkee and Lahinch won't be destroyed again, and hopefully one of the two won't be left in ruins for 2 years before they fix it again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

31c here near Malaga, my last day here and second warmest day of the holidays. Hard to believe it's 31c as there is a stiff sea breeze and feels no more than 21c.

Gonzo wrote: »
    31c here near Malaga, my last day here and second warmest day of the holidays. Hard to believe it's 31c as there is a stiff sea breeze and feels no more than 21c.

Probably isn't 31c so, because a sea breeze can often cool significantly. Where are you getting your temperature measure from? Malaga airport says 32c, but a land breeze, so I'd think it's quite likely you've only got 25c or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Probably isn't 31c so, because a sea breeze can often cool significantly. Where are you getting your temperature measure from? Malaga airport says 32c, but a land breeze, so I'd think it's quite likely you've only got 25c or so.

Local forecast was reporing 31 but now it's 33c and cloudy the wind has died down and it's very muggy. Last bit of heat for me till next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

My last day after 3 weeks in the sun flying home tonight. Thought I'd be going home to nice mild weather like last sept and oct but nope! A bloody hurricane. I'll look like a freak with this sun tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Let's not let Irma take our eye it things. Going to be very windy tomorrow evening / night nationwide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Let's not let Irma take our eye it things. Going to be very windy tomorrow evening / night nationwide

Yea I was thinking a few people are in for a surprise , looking very windy especially coastal counties. it seems to be upgrading on every run

tempresult_bwl6.gif

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Heavy rain or showers expected, with accumulations of 30 to 50 mm, with the highest totals on mountains.
    Issued:Saturday 09 September 2017 19:00
    Valid:Sunday 10 September 2017 09:00 to Monday 11 September 2017 12:00

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

Another warning, this time for rain. Northwest getting the brunt.

The 18z GFS is rolling out atm. Showing gusts of 70-75 km/h running across the center of the country from W to E for a time tomorrow night.

27-289UK_mhe0.GIF

8372_mpr4.png

• Advertisement

Latest TAF has Dublin gusting to 42kts and Shannon gusting to 43kts.

Knock has gusts of up to 40kts and Cork only has gusts of 35kts.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Latest TAF has Dublin gusting to 42kts and Shannon gusting to 43kts.

Knock has gusts of up to 40kts and Cork only has gusts of 35kts.

What times are they for JCX BXC ?

What times are they for JCX BXC ?

Shannon: 270 degrees 28kts gusting 43kts tempo 4pm-1am

Dublin: 250 degrees 25kts gusting 42kts tempo 9pm-1am

Cork: 280 degrees 22kts gusting 35kts 12pm-3pm (only noticed now that there's no wind mentioned for after 3pm, will increase after then)

Knock: 260 degrees 25kts gusting 40kts 5pm-7pm.

Latest WRF -NMM High Res 18z

nmm_uk1-11-27-4_inv4.png

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    UPDATE TO PREVIOUS WARNING: A developing low pressure system in the Atlantic will track towards Ireland today bringing a period of strong and gusty winds to all provinces. Winds will be strongest in Atlantic coastal counties with westerly winds expected to reach mean speeds of 55 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h. Winds will be strongest in exposed hilly and coastal areas with very high seas expected along the coast during this period.

Issued:Sunday 10 September 2017 06:00
    Valid:Sunday 10 September 2017 12:00 to Monday 11 September 2017 09:00

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

Update to previous Met Eireann warning, Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo added, with the valid time beginning earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rotten morning here, drizzly, breezy, and fairly cool

first morning back in Ireland and I'm freezing, heat on, lights on. It's dark and drizzly outside. Even after 2 weeks away, it's a shock to arrive to weather as cold and dank as this.

When overseas you begin to forget just how cold and wet our climate is. Most of the populated areas of the world is warmer and dryer than us.

Well the occluded front is gone through and now brighter and increasingly fresher.

Winds picking up over 55 km/h and veered to the WNW here near Tralee.

csT43rk.png?1

iubNjBr.jpg

tempresult_zkp3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

first morning back in Ireland and I'm freezing, heat on, lights on. It's dark and drizzly outside. Even after 2 weeks away, it's a shock to arrive to weather as cold and dank as this.

When overseas you begin to forget just how cold and wet our climate is. Most of the populated areas of the world is warmer and dryer than us.

No complaints.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Warmer maybe, I think you're very wrong about the drier part though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MJohnston wrote: »
    Warmer maybe, I think you're very wrong about the drier part though.

Yep, Ireland is not that wet overall. Here's what Met Éireann says on their Rainfall page which I agree with:
    How Often Does it Rain?
    The general impression is that it rains quite a lot of the time in Ireland, but two out of three hourly observations will not report any measurable rainfall. The average number of wet days (days 1mm or more of rain) ranges from about 150 days a year along the east and south east coasts, to about 225 days a year in parts of the west.

How Heavy is the Rain?
    Unlike the rain in many other countries, especially in the tropics, average hourly rainfall amounts in Ireland are quite low, ranging from 1 to 2mm. Short-term rates can of course be much higher: for example, an hourly total of 10mm is not uncommon and totals of 15 to 20mm in an hour may be expected to occur once in 5 years. Hourly totals exceeding 25mm are rare in this country and when they do occur they are usually associated with heavy thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Latest TAF's has max gusts at Shannon at 44 Knots from this afternoon up to midnight. Cork 40 knots. Knock 37 knots.Dublin 38 knots.
    So a blustery afternoon and evening ahead but nothing that will cause to much disruption.

12pm reports.

Buoy M6 gusting 54 knots.
    Mace head gusting 42 knots.
    Knock and Malin head 39 knots.

Latest TAF's has max gusts at Shannon at 44 Knots from this afternoon up to midnight. Cork 40 knots. Knock 37 knots.Dublin 38 knots.
    So a blustery afternoon and evening ahead but nothing that will cause to much disruption.

They're all wrong max forecast gusts, I don't know how you got them all wrong!

Shannon: 42kts
    Dublin: 41kts
    Cork: 41kts
    Knock: 38kts

Ironically Knock has already received a gust in excess of 38kts, right at 12pm, when the TAF was issued, it received a gust of 39kts.

To add more,

Kerry 42kts,
    Waterford 36kts
    Belfast aldergrove 30kts
    Sligo 39kts
    Donegal 41kts

Knock currently gusting 39 knots exceeding the max of 37 knots in the TAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Well the occluded front is gone through and now brighter and increasingly fresher.
    iubNjBr.jpg

Look at that huge storm over Italy! BBC news has just said that 5 are dead and up to 12 inches fell overnight.

some mass of cloud alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yep, Ireland is not that wet overall. Here's what Met Éireann says on their Rainfall page which I agree with:

I would suggest that rain 225 days a year is likely significantly more than the vast majority of countries get. Also in most countries summer rain consists of short but heavy showers, ours tends to consist of several hours of drizzle and light rain. I've lived in the tropics and even monsoon season is probably drier than Ireland in terms of the amount of time it actually rains for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I would suggest that rain 225 days a year is likely significantly more than the vast majority of countries get. Also in most countries summer rain consists of short but heavy showers, ours tends to consist of several hours of drizzle and light rain. I've lived in the tropics and even monsoon season is probably drier than Ireland in terms of the amount of time it actually rains for

It is but that's not what I was talking about. I was referring to our daily rainfalls. Our highest daily rainfalls are laughable compared to many many other countries, even the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I feel exactly the same, got home last night after 3 weeks in Spain, it's like someone left the air con on for the entire country. It's like being in the middle of a hurricane here I walked 100m to the shops and got soaked, 2 mins later the sun was out. The gaf is freezing but I don't want to be turning on the heat in feckin' September.

Advertisement