Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm Mace head once again gusting 56knots. dont think we are going to get much stronger than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

10pm Mace head once again gusting 56knots. dont think we are going to get much stronger than that.

Yea looks like it although it has picked up now on the S coast.

v60sCLZ.png

Great fun out in the coast this evening dodging the waves coming over the pier.

Fenit at around 19.30

1CogBZz.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Will be interested to see how that area of LP ( wave depression ) off the SW coast of Ireland develops on Tues. Met Eireann highlighted it on the forecast this evening, Deepens quickly on its transit over Ireland.

FPhFTZp.gif?1

tempresult_myp7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Absolutely bucketing down in Limerick right now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The Tuesday evening low is the type that can bring real damage to inland areas. Must be watched closely - haven't had time to investigate much further than looking at a few Op runs but has all the hallmarks of a potent system

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Arpege has the low a bit further south keeping the worst of the winds just off the coast.
    427631.jpg

Hirlam quite similar
    427632.jpg

Be interesting if the euro wins out. Definitely one to watch out for. These convective gusts, tress still in full leaf can be a danger for the first set of storms.
    427633.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

high pressure building from the west on Friday,then slowly drifting into the continent towards the end of next week,swinging the winds around to a mild/warm south east direction.

airpressure.png

airpressure.png

ukmaxtemp.png

There was a similar system this winter 'Doris' that caught us off guard a little.

EURO4 gunning for disruptive system further north than EC etc. Remember the earlier the deepening the further north the track and Models struggle with the timing of explosive cyclogenesis- often occurs somewhat earlier than anticipated

17091218_1106.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford
    A depression is set to cross Ireland on Tuesday. It will bring strong and blustery southwest
    to west winds to southern parts of the country during the afternoon and evening, strongest
    in coastal areas. There will be heavy rain also.

Issued:Monday 11 September 2017 14:00
    Valid:Tuesday 12 September 2017 15:01 to Tuesday 12 September 2017 23:59

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had a max gust of 47kts yesterday, only 1mm of rain however.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a very heavy shower earlier, but today overall isn't nearly as bad as yesterday, more sunshine and feeling slightly milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We had large branches broken off trees in the Mall in Castlebar early this morning, it is strange as they have survived far worse storms over the years, we have had 28mm of rain in the last 36 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Xenji wrote: »
    We had large branches broken off trees in the Mall in Castlebar early this morning, it is strange as they have survived far worse storms over the years, we have had 28mm of rain in the last 36 hours.

Trees still in full leaf is the cause i suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Last night I heard nothing in Galway but woke up this morning and all the pots and with small trees etc were all knocked over, some are quite heavy and in a sheltered area, must have been some wind during the night

A few trees and branches down locally here near Tralee last night. The roads were quite wet and mushy from all the leaves and twigs thrown about.

Met Eireann using the Harmonie chart earlier in their tweet. The center in this is slightly further N than the others models from what I can see. Most of them showing the strongest winds offshore. How far N the depression is will make all the difference. Will see on the next runs.

Met Eireann
    Current radar pic & how it may look 2moro at 5pm as a deep low pressure system sweeps across the country. Very windy for Conn, Muns & Leins.

0JHvhaa.jpg?1

tempresult_nkz8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Whatever about the wind, some really vicious showers here during the afternoon.

Autumn is coming.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Whatever about the wind, some really vicious showers here during the afternoon.

Autumn is coming.

Autumn has been here for 6 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Autumn has been here for 6 weeks now.

Probably for ye south southerners. Temps running near or a little above average here in the west this September so far.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Probably for ye south southerners. Temps running near or a little above average here in the west this September so far.

It's been dull grey and wet here sive beginning of August not too cold in fairness but far closer to autumn than summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2149 update from met eireann

Dry in many places early Tuesday morning apart from a few showers. But wet in the afternoon, with heavy rain in many places, but especially in many central and northern counties. Becoming very windy in some areas also, especially in places near the southwest and south coasts in the afternoon, and potentially severe winds near the east coast in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think perhaps a seperate thread should be set up for this potential wind event tomorrow.

I wouldn't rule out wind gusts near 70 or 80 mph near Leinster coast tomorrow evening!

All down to timing and how quickly the low pressure deepens!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »
    I think perhaps a seperate thread should be set up for this potential wind event tomorrow.

I wouldn't rule out wind gusts near 70 or 80 mph near Leinster coast tomorrow evening!

All down to timing and how quickly the low pressure deepens!

Possibly, will be interesting to see if ME issue an orange warning and name it as Aileen, then it would certainly warrant some close studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

At least if theres storms its something to look at while its raining. Today in Sligo the showers were like people pouring water from a bucket on your head. Easily 30mm in past 2 days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Feels quite cold this morning, I'll be wearing gloves on the bike. I remember wearing them at the start of May, so 3 months we get where it's not bloody freezing! At least it's not as windy today, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

[LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware] Wind Warning for Dublin, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and W

Officially named Storm Aileen now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057786090

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at this stage I'm all in favour of the Atlantic throwing everything at us. Autumn and Spring are two seasons I care very little about as they usually don't provide any proper warmth or cold. Fingers crossed the Atlantic will go into hibernation around mid December and wake up again in March.

Advertisement