Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2017 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I love Autumn for the encroaching chill, the colours of the foliage, berry picking and the general feel of a plentiful harvest time of year. I hate summer with its stuffy sleepless nights and disappointing rainy spells. Autumn is the perfect excuse to fish out the scarves and wooly jumpers and enjoy them, before we get to the generally disappointing winter conveyor belt of muck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Aren't we already in a conveyor belt of muck? We have been for ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lol, he's talking about storm after storm after storm with very mild Winter temperatures.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Lol, he's talking about storm after storm after storm with very mild Winter temperatures.

Last Sept and Oct were lovely for me, it seemed to go on forever, a very mild period, hoping we get more of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wouldn't call the current set up a full on 'convenor belt' tbh. Weather has been very gentle this Autumn so far and nothing really out of the ordinary for the time of year.

Hoping for a cool, stormy rest of Autumn personally. We've gone through a long summer with nights just to hot to sleep comfortably. Time to cool things down a bit at this stage and enjoy the nights closing in. It will be nice to be able to relax in the evening without the sun and heat screaming at you from every angle.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Too hot to sleep, seriously, there's never been a night for me anyway where I could sleep without a blanket. You all must be going through menopause or something. Or I'm anaemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Just started to lash rain here near Arklow
    It was very autumnal yesterday in the wind and showers but quite summery Saturday in a still hot sun when it's out

It's very back to college weather

Too hot to sleep, seriously, there's never been a night for me anyway where I could sleep without a blanket. You all must be going through menopause or something. Or I'm anaemic.

More than 3/4 of the Summer, I could sleep without a blanket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't understand it either, most nights during the summer we only get 12 or 13C. This is not a warm country under any stretch of the imagination.

We do however lack air conditioning and maybe that is why some people complain of not being able to sleep. I always have a heavy blanket and douvet 365 nights a year, its needed in this country. There are probably no more than 3 or 4 days per year where we would need air conditioning in our homes.

In most European countries air conditioning is standard and once the temp goes above 25C, you have a nice cool room to stay/sleep in and the high temperatures outside are not relevant.

Its not a cold country either.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »

I don't understand it either, most nights during the summer we only get 12 or 13C. This is not a warm country under any stretch of the imagination.

We do however lack air conditioning and maybe that is why some people complain of not being able to sleep. I always have a heavy blanket and douvet 365 nights a year, its needed in this country. There are probably no more than 3 or 4 days per year where we would need air conditioning in our homes.

In most European countries air conditioning is standard and once the temp goes above 25C, you have a nice cool room to stay/sleep in and the high temperatures outside are not relevant.

You just answered your own question. I'd like to add on the fact that Ireland's humidity is high compared to many countries.

I could have sworn we already talked this through in the Summer thread.

Nope, no menopausal happenings here. Healthy lad, if a bit underweight for my height. I have a very fast metabolism though so maybe that has something to do with it. Can't put on an ounce. :o

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

10,000 yrs or so:D Since the last ice age!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Its not a cold country either.

cool, wet summers and mild, windy and damp winters, we just can't do seasons other than Autumn and maybe Spring.

Gonzo wrote: »

Well personally I don't like it so the 3 weeks I was in Spain just now I was sleeping with window and door open trying to get some air flow going on. I got used to the heat eventually.

I change duvet in Ireland, use a lighter one when it gets to June or so and you'll be fine, pretty soon I'll be going back to winter one though I think!

It's funny our houses aren't air conditioned and most are badly insulated for winter, I've lived in houses here where I may as well have been sleeping outside some winter nights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

Ah the usual bunch are at it again. Letting on that we had anything resembling heat this summer and that this autumn is anything other than horrible. Talk about self delusionists!

I live in a timber framed, very well insulated modern house with a south facing bedroom and I would know all about it if it were hot at night. All this summer I needed a duvet, albeit a light one, but there was no night I could throw it off or needed to bring the fan down from where it normally lives, in the back of a press in the attic.

As for gentle autumn temperatures, well considering that most of the year temps don't vary much between 12 and 17, this year,though on the cool side, temps aren't too out of the usual,but so far it's still been a hugely disappointing season with all the muck. On a good autumn day the colours and the berry picking are indeed lovely, but that's such a rare pleasure in the land of muck, this year especially.

And as for air con in Ireland, that's like installing a swimming pool in the back garden and sunbathing in the rain! :rolleyes: Air con is so unnecessary in Ireland. Air con is for when outside temps climb above a minimum of about 27 degrees, a rarity in Ireland. I've lost count of the amount of times I've entered a veritable fridge,in the guise of a shop, from an already chilly street,only to emerge goose pimpled and thankful for the relative warmth of the chilly street. 18 deg is gorgeous after being in a freezer! They even do that to hapless diners in restaurants, freeze them out of it while they try to enjoy a nice meal.But I guess we must be trendy and have air con.:rolleyes:

So it's not just the posters on here who are in denial about our gloomy,chilly climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm often outdoors and find the weather perfectly fine the majority of the time.

Why are you so upset that I don't partake in your misery? I don't think the weather here is as awful as it's so poetically made out, however if you tell yourself it is youll think it is.

And I would like statistics showing that years ago there was better weather here please, because I'm a firm believer that it's simply nostalgia and that memories paint everything in a great light. It's quite likely that the weather didn't bother you when you were younger, foreign holidays were nearly unheard of and when good days came you made the most of them.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And I would like statistics showing that years ago there was better weather here please, because I'm a firm believer that it's simply nostalgia and that memories paint everything in a great light. It's quite likely that the weather didn't bother you when you were younger, foreign holidays were nearly unheard of and when good days came you made the most of them.

I have never heard truer words than this on the weather forum so far.

I'm often outdoors and find the weather perfectly fine the majority of the time.

Why are you so upset that I don't partake in your misery? I don't think the weather here is as awful as it's so poetically made out, however if you tell yourself it is youll think it is.

So,are you denying the existence of climate change? And are you seriously suggesting that the Irish climate has not worsened considerably in the recent past? Just because you probably weren't yet born 40,50,maybe even 30 years ago you assume that the older generation are suffering from collective nostalgia! It's ironic that a self delusionist accuses others of self delusion.

If you're happy with the Irish climate, good for you. But please realise that it's not misery to point out the truth. This is a weather forum,that's what we talk about here. And I like to tell the truth. That the Irish climate is miserable and that it's got a great deal worse since climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

KEEP IT ON TOPIC PLEASE , IE: Someones age is not on topic

acequion wrote: »
    So,are you denying the existence of climate change? And are you seriously suggesting that the Irish climate has not worsened considerably in the recent past?

No, not whatsoever, again, buzzwords don't help an argument.

I'd like statistics please, cold hard statistics, saying summer's were warmer, winters were colder etc. Every few years I hear of the warmest day in ***years. Longest heatwave in *** years. Things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Jeepers I get accused of misery all the time for saying what a good summer it was in the south east
    No complaints :D

On climate change,it's important to drive forward within reason measures to avert it for future generations sake
    But I'm also of the view that there's no way anyone can state climate change has already happened
    That's absolute nonsense
    You'd need a 1000 years data to get some kind of accurate picture
    We don't have that and we won't see what things will be like in a few hundred years by then

All we have is the science of what *could* happen and direct policy to avoid it
    We will never experience either the climate change itself or whether we have avoided it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1700 reports
    Cork airport Gust 28 knots
    Oak Park Carlow Gust 21 knots.
    Sherkin Islands Gust 36 knots.
    Valentia Gust 32 knots.

The only "climate change" I've seen is that severely cold Winter months have become less common (but obviously still possible - December 2010 proves this), other than that, no change. If the atmosphere set ups correctly for severely cold Winter months more often, then climate change is completely out the window for me on Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

'I think it's wet mostly. I think we have a lot of fine weather. One should get out in the weather and enjoy it no matter what. I slept in the nip over the summer, i needed a duvet. I got my quota of summer sun. I'm back from the Bahamas and i feel miserable. I don't like Atlantic muck. I love berry picking in the autumn sun.'

The thread is so funny. Weather is subjective. Personally i'll walk around in January in a t shirt at 5C in January and not feel cold, another will wear a jumper at 20C. So really none of us are wrong and none are right.

Irish weather is like a regular savings deposit account. You're pretty sure what you'll get. Not like an investment portfolio where there's major risk.. one where you're guranteed hot weather but maybe have rainfall like in Texas, Hurricane Irma or an earthquake.

I suppose how we all feel about the weather is valid, it's our reality.

Just sign off with this for today :D

nagdefy wrote: »
    'I think it's wet mostly. I think we have a lot of fine weather. One should get out in the weather and enjoy it no matter what. I slept in the nip over the summer, i needed a duvet. I got my quota of summer sun. I'm back from the Bahamas and i feel miserable. I don't like Atlantic muck. I love berry picking in the autumn sun.'

The thread is so funny. Weather is subjective. Personally i'll walk around in January in a t shirt at 5C in January and not feel cold, another will wear a jumper at 20C. So really none of us are wrong and none are right.

Irish weather is like a regular savings deposit account. You're pretty sure what you'll get. Not like an investment portfolio where there's major risk.. one where you're guranteed hot weather but maybe have rainfall like in Texas, Hurricane Irma or an earthquake.

I suppose how we all feel about the weather is valid, it's our reality.

Just sign off with this for today :D

Love that comparison nagdefy :pac:, a regular savings deposit account. Ah man, you cracked me up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I would never say it was too 'hot' to sleep, but there were certainly many nights this year in Dublin where it was too humid for it. Tis grand if you live somewhere you can leave the windows wide open all night, but we don't.

No, not whatsoever, again, buzzwords don't help an argument.

I'd like statistics please, cold hard statistics, saying summer's were warmer, winters were colder etc. Every few years I hear of the warmest day in ***years. Longest heatwave in *** years. Things like that.

"Buzzwords" What buzzwords? Climate change is a buzzword now is it?
    Statistics don't always prove an argument. Real life experience does. Why don't you go and ask your grand parents or parents or any of the older generation in your life what seasons were like years back in Ireland or have they any family snaps of sunny holidays in places like Bundoran or Ballybunion or Christmases in home grown snow and they might actually surprise you. Or would you dismiss that type of evidence as nostalgia? Do you assume that because you weren't there,though here is one person that was there telling you for a fact what it was like, that the person who was there must have imagined it all?

I'll find you statistics if that's what you want, but go back and read my posts of a few days ago or are you just more interested in winning some statistical argument? The weather in Ireland, while never great and always rainy,was better years back and that is a fact. Now if you are happy with the Irish climate, good for you as I've already said. But I think it's absolutely miserable.Many other people would happen to agree with me. Maybe you should be more respectful of differing opinions!

• Advertisement

"Maybe you should be more respectful of differing opinions!"

What? You're telling me I'm wrong and that you're right, insulting everyone who disagrees with you and then telling me to be respectful of differing opinions?

Right, besides that, let's keep on point. Quite frankly I'll trust statistics over a vague 40 year old memory. Memories fade, statistics don't.

I don't understand why you're getting so annoyed, I don't agree that the weather has gotten so much worse in Ireland over previous years. Posting the word climate change to justify your point without it being used in any correct context, is using buzzwords really.

If statistics show that the weather has significant changed in the past 40 years, and my memory of some of that is truly awful, I'll concede that I am wrong, however I feel that I'm not and your use of deviation and insults only make even more sure of my position.

Advertisement