Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsory sound insulation for new properties

Options
  • 29-08-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am in the process of buying a new property. I was looking up online and found that in 2015 new sound insulation regulations (or suggestions?) were introduced. According to my findings, they are compulsory for properties built after July 2015.

I talked to the property agents and they said verbally that acoustics would be carried out and more information would be on the contracts. My solicitor had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned soundproofing to him, nor knew about Building Regulations. There is also no mention of sound insulation in the contracts/documentation.

To the people that work in construction, or are involved in this area: is this really a compulsory requirement? can I ask for this to be included in the contracts? or is it automatically assumed that this testing will be carried out?

My concern comes from the fact that I am purchasing a terraced house, so proper noise insulation is at the top of my list.

I can't post links yet, but all the details are in the housing.gov.ie website, specifically under Technical Guidance Document E Sound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

It's a building regulation which must be complied with. Non compliance with regulations means the final certificate will not be granted by the local authority and the building cannot be occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 heritz

It's a building regulation which must be complied with. Non compliance with regulations means the final certificate will not be granted by the local authority and the building cannot be occupied.

Thanks, makes sense.

Out of curiosity, in what step of the process does the local authority "check" that everything is in order? is it once everything is finished and the builder has received the money? or is it before they get the final payment from the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

heritz wrote: »
    Thanks, makes sense.

Out of curiosity, in what step of the process does the local authority "check" that everything is in order? is it once everything is finished and the builder has received the money? or is it before they get the final payment from the bank?

My cynical side would bet that there is no actual checks made at all to most units.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cilar wrote: »
    My cynical side would bet that there is no actual checks made at all to most units.

Your cynical side would be incorrect then, in Dublin at least.
    DCC currently check every multi unit development under construction.

The sound regulations is part of Part E of the building regulations. The sound transmission test can be passed with standard construction methods, and not necessarily by adding additional sound insulation. But it does mean that the builder has to construct it properly in order to pass the test.

The developer has to carry our sound transmission tests on most of the units in order to demonstrate that thei requirement is met.

What development are you buying in OP?

Advertisement