Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent review period

Options
  • 29-08-2017 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I know this has been covered a million times but i need clarification

As a landlord i have a tenanct that commenced say 17/09/2013. Rent review 9 August 2016 effective 17/11/2016.

I thought with the RPZ rules that the 24 month review was replaced now with the 12 month review with the increase limited to 4%.

So ive already done the minimum 24 month review..with the new rules can i not now do 12 month review as im in an RPZ.

The RTB calc. is telling me i need to wait 24 months not 12.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I know this has been covered a million times but i need clarification

As a landlord i have a tenanct that commenced say 17/09/2013. Rent review 9 August 2016 effective 17/11/2016.

I thought with the RPZ rules that the 24 month review was replaced now with the 12 month review with the increase limited to 4%.

So ive already done the minimum 24 month review..with the new rules can i not now do 12 month review as im in an RPZ.

The RTB calc. is telling me i need to wait 24 months not 12.

24 months min site the last review and 2% pa for the 1st review since December 16 and 12 months thereafter and 4% pa.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As per Davindub- the first one is a 24 month review- its 12 monthly thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks davindub and the conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭sk8board

the RTB calculator doesn't appear to reflect this - you must enter 24 OR 12 in the formula.

e.g. I have a place coming up for review in Jan that will have been €1200 for over 4 years, and its telling me I can only increase to €1296 (8% total over the 4 years).

I would have expected it to be €1344 (4% for first 2 years, and 4% for each of years 3 and 4 = 12% total increase)

thoughts?

sk8board wrote: »

the RTB calculator doesn't appear to reflect this - you must enter 24 OR 12 in the formula.

e.g. I have a place coming up for review in Jan that will have been €1200 for over 4 years, and its telling me I can only increase to €1296 (8% total over the 4 years).

I would have expected it to be €1344 (4% for first 2 years, and 4% for each of years 3 and 4 = 12% total increase)

thoughts?

2% pa until you have conducted your first review. The minimum period between he last review and the proposed review is 24 months. But its limited to 2% pa for whatever period has passed so in your case 8% for 4 years.

Then 4% pa, reviews possible every 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭sk8board

davindub wrote: »
    2% pa until you have conducted your first review.

thank you - that explains it.
    So every landlord needs to get that initial review with sitting tenants done asap.

Question: could I review the rent and agree to leave it as it is. Would that count?

sk8board wrote: »
    davindub wrote: »
    2% pa until you have conducted your first review.

thank you - that explains it.
    So every landlord needs to get that initial review with sitting tenants done asap.

Question: could I review the rent and agree to leave it as it is. Would that count?

Yes I would increase by a small amount though to show conclusively when the rent review took place.

Advertisement