Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I haggle my library fines down?

Options
  • 29-08-2017 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

I have about €5 in library fines, most of it from two years ago. Can I offer them €2 or something to clear it, as you can do in local libraries? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I have about €5 in library fines, most of it from two years ago. Can I offer them €2 or something to clear it, as you can do in local libraries? :D

Doubt it, I've heard them make allowances for people with fines of 100's of euros but they usually have decent excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

papu wrote: »
    Doubt it, I've heard them make allowances for people with fines of 100's of euros but they usually have decent excuses.

Thanks for your take. The thought of giving over paper money really hurts!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

You can't graduate with fines owed so you've no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its a fiver. Just pay it. If you had a large fine then maybe but not a fiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Its a fiver. Just pay it. If you had a large fine then maybe but not a fiver

Cheerz for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

L wrote: »
    You can't graduate with fines owed so you've no chance.

I graduated with 18e in fines. But I went on to a postgrad so I was still a registered student during the time of my undergrad commencement.
    Library staff are definitely not allowed to ignore fines but I got mine reduced after I got chatting with one of them. I was in there every other day so I'd like to think we became friends.
    I graduated from tcd last year with a little over a tenner still owed but I was out of the country and graduated in absentia. Still got the papers though.
    I'm fairly confident this rule is just a scare tactic to get you to pay your fines... but if you're a bit afraid then pay up. A couple euro just isn't worth sweating over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

You can haggle if you like but we will realistically only lower fines with a medical cert!

Pay the fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

€5 is comparatively little: I'd be inclined just to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You could always offer to fellate the librarian in return for waiving your fine

..... they might be so impressed at your use of language that they'll let you off for free :-)

(But seriously, how much effort would you really put into haggling for a fiver? By all means chance your arm but compare it to the price of a pint.... you're not going to waste an hour of your time to do it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

Offer to go double or quits. If you lose do it again. And again and again and again.
    Eventually you'll win, but you'll become a library legend, whispered about for years to come.

• Advertisement
Advertisement