Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords Help Needed (NBD)

Options
  • 29-08-2017 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help from the hive mind please!

I have a €1,500 BTW voucher that I have to use in Halfords. No other discounts can be applied or money added to top it up.

I'm torn between the CX29er and road bike (although I already have a Boardman Team Carbon from last BTW purchase - I'd sell this if I bought the new road bike).
    The 2017 version of the road pro carbon is €1,800, whereas the 2016 version above is €1,440, which is a decent saving.

I don't necessarily have a preference for any of the above - the CX would make a handy commuting bike and I might be tempted to do think about doing a 'cross race, with the 29er I'd probably get back into mountain biking, with the road bike I'd take it as an upgrade and sell the old one.

So... I have €1,500 burning a hole in my pocket, that I have to spend in Halfords (sigh) in the next few months, I guess my questions are:
    • Do any of the above 3 bikes jump out at you as fantastic value, or meaningfully better value than the other two?
    • Does anyone know when the 2018 models will be released and what the likely discount on 2017 models would be (e.g. the Road Pro dropping from €1,800 to €1,440)?

Thanks all!

P.S. No interest in a hybrid, electric, fixie or folding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Off-topic, but how did you manage to get an extra 500 when the BTW scheme is limited to 1k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I can buy a voucher from work worth up to €1,500, but I'd only get the tax breaks on the first €1k and the rest is at full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

AltAccount wrote: »
    I can buy a voucher from work worth up to €1,500, but I'd only get the tax breaks on the first €1k and the rest is at full whack.

That is your only choice?

Given that it would cost you the bones of 1000 net I wouldn't bother if you don't seem convinced and what you want or need from their limited selection. Look at the nice carbon Scott that was sold on here for a similar price as an unwanted competition prize and get something similar or very good second hand when you need to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

That is your only choice?

Given that it would cost you the bones of 1000 net I wouldn't bother if you don't seem convinced and what you want or need from their limited selection. Look at the nice carbon Scott that was sold on here for a similar price as an unwanted competition prize and get something similar or very good second hand when you need to upgrade
    I don't need a new bike, but the correct number of bikes to own is n+1 :).
    Whatever bike I get will get good use and bring me pleasure, and convincing my missus that a new bike on the BTW is good value will be easier than convincing her into letting me cough up €1k for another bike that I don't realistically need (perverse, but true!).

The Boardman bikes they only have just in are nice and all but they are 2 year old 2016 models and at today's prices for the most part, though that sub 1k carbon bike they had earlier in the summer was a pretty good deal.

Anyway if you have a road bike OP why buy another unless you are racing etc? Go for a fat bike !!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement