Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night time flight noise Irishtown /Ringsend

Options
  • 29-08-2017 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Just wondering am I going mad or has there always been very loud and quite frequent flight noise over Irishtown ? I keep a window open and it's like sleeping on a runway at times! What's the story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Always lots of planes

Click here and you can see them :

https://www.flightradar24.com/53.35,-6.24/7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Just wondering am I going mad or has there always been very loud and quite frequent flight noise over Irishtown ? I keep a window open and it's like sleeping on a runway at times! What's the story?

Perhaps this?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/night-flights-over-south-dublin-during-runway-overhaul-1.2714068

• Registered Users Posts: 30,162 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems like more noise than before... if the crosswinds runway is used, the planes will fly over clontarf and ringsend for sure.

But I think there are overnight works on main runway... so there is probably an increase in the use of the crosswinds runway ah regardless of wind-

https://www.dublinairport.com/about-us/-community-affairs/runway-maintenance

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

That would explain it alright. It's definitely louder than anything I've noticed before and more frequent. Roll on winter and the closing of the windows....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It is maintenance.

Count yourself lucky, I'm close to the main runway centre line so get 70%+ of the traffic. Even when that is not in use, one of the standard approaches and one of the standard departure routes go directly over the house (1 as I type). You get used to it; never bothered me much.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if this is one I'll be able to adjust to as it's random & loud ... if it was the constant background noise of planes flying high I think I would.

But it's totally quiet, then about once an hour for a couple of minutes it sounds like plane is about to crash onto the roof... then quiet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is one I'll be able to adjust to as it's random & loud ... if it was the constant background noise of planes flying high I think I would.

But it's totally quiet, then about once an hour for a couple of minutes it sounds like plane is about to crash onto the roof... then quiet again.

I know it isn't ideal but have you tried earplugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

You sure it's aircraft?

There's a lot of industry in Dublin Port / Poolbeg which would include a number of large gas turbines (effectively stationary jet engines).

I know it isn't ideal but have you tried earplugs?

I'd probably resort to white noise first... earplugs leave me feeling a bit clogged up alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

gctest50 wrote: »
    Always lots of planes

Click here and you can see them :

https://www.flightradar24.com/53.35,-6.24/7

That is an incredible site! I wonder how many people are airborne at any one time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement