Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home exchange within Ireland for holidays

Options
  • 29-08-2017 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all
    We holiday in Dingle and Donegal every year and I'm just getting a bit sick of paying out over €1200 every year or thereabouts to rent out a holiday home while our own house in south Dublin sits empty (and we also have to make our motgage payments on it). I would love to exchange/swap our home with someone from Dingle and Gaoth Dobhair where we holiday. I'm sure there are people out there probably willing to do the same. The problem is all the home exchange websites seem to focus on swapping with someone from abroad.
    Has anyone any idea how I would connect up with someone who would like to do a swap with me and in a safe way that my home isn't going to be bashed in you know. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

You could list your house on Air BnB but just make it available for the specific weeks during the Summer when you'll be away (there's a calendar on each property page so you could specify which dates/weeks it will be available). That way you'll have paying guests staying in your house which should cover the cost of your holiday rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have a mate that you'd trust to keep all of your valuables safe? As you'll need to do that. Also, do you save all your passwords on your computer/laptop? If so, probably best not to leave that accessible. And do you have anything of sentimental value? Best off storing that somewhere else as well. Likewise with kids toys that they wouldn't want to be used.

Depending on your location, you may get decent money for a weeks rental via AirBnB. Maybe only rent to couples?

Advertisement