Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old housemate and rent refund

Options
13»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Where did I state it always happened? You are not getting this. You can go on about what happened to you or what happened to your friend or what happened to the guy down the road from you all you want, but it absolutely does not matter and is nothing more than irrelevant waffle.

In this case there was no new tenant for the day he moved out (and why there was no new tenant for that day is also completely irrelevant). He paid the July rent as it he should have. There is nobody to reimburse him, he is entitled to absolutely nothing back. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

awec wrote: »
    Your responsibilities aren't. You are still liable for the rent once the fixed term is over, that just doesn't magically change once you become a part 4 tenant.

sorry, I was talking about the case when you are moving out at the end of rent month.

why would someone give a notice 1 week before the end of rent month? He has to pay for the whole month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Even if we concede for the sake of argument that he was not obliged to pay for a full calendar month, the fact that he paid for the full calendar month should be taken as intention to stay that long. Paying the full amount and then expecting a surprise refund when he leaves early isn't reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bludcrazetiger

:D:D:D:D don't bother with it pal, you'll never win!!
    hence I gave up :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hardly, you are going on about pointless anecdotes whereas I am talking about the actual issue at hand.
    Can you show us the rental agreement? No.

Why do you think the rental agreement is important? Do you think there is a provision in there for an individual who wants to move out without affecting the tenancy?
    I would like to know who was responsible for getting someone into the room and why it was not done?

It was done, they got a new tenant for when they needed one, it just wasn't for when the guy moving out wanted one.
    Why would the guy have moved out on the 24th if he was liable til the end of the month?
    Because he thought he was entitled to a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭marykitty47

Thanks for all your responses. 15 people viewed the apartment and room and we took the person we could move in asap and that was the 1st.

Over the last 72 hours he has called texted 100s of times demanding his money and even threatened to call to the door of we didn't give him a date.

Thanks for all your responses. 15 people viewed the apartment and room and we took the person we could move in asap and that was the 1st.

Over the last 72 hours he has called texted 100s of times demanding his money and even threatened to call to the door of we didn't give him a date.

For this behaviour alone I would tell him to F off and not give him a cent (though in the scenario you outline my opinion would be that he owes rent till a new person moves in anyway).

Text him to tell him his number will be blocked of your phone as soon as this text is sent so not to waste his time calling and texting you any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

It's now time to block him and move on. If he comes near the house (which i doubt he will) then call the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Might be a good idea to have a chat with the new person and others in the house to explain exactly what happened up front, in case he does show up out of the blue and the new person answers.

Advertisement