Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave

Options
  • 29-08-2017 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've a question on behalf of my wife. We had our second child in January and she's taken extended maternity leave until February.

She's been looking at working a 3 day week and her job was proposing changing her contract from a 5 day week to a 4 day week. And then using parental leave one day a week.

But how are the days of the 18 weeks calculated? On the 5 day or pro-rata 4 day?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I thought it was 18 weeks of parental leave i.e. 18 weeks * 5 work days per week = 90 days.
    But check it out with citizens information website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ant time I've used it is just deducted on a day by day basis. So I could take a two week block or say two days every fortnight or whatever. Obviously it depends on agreement with your employer. Not sure that answers your question though OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

If your wife agrees to a contract change to 4 days, she will lose 20% of her holiday entitlements and 20% of her bank holiday pay. She would not be entitled to go back to a 5 day week (should she wish to) unless the company agrees.
    However companies are not required to offer PL in less than 6 week blocks so you may decide that it's still worth it for your family situation.
    It's 18 working weeks so if your wife changes her contract it will be 18 x 4 = 72 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Nutser wrote: »
    If your wife agrees to a contract change to 4 days, she will lose 20% of her holiday entitlements and 20% of her bank holiday pay. She would not be entitled to go back to a 5 day week (should she wish to) unless the company agrees.
    However companies are not required to offer PL in less than 6 week blocks so you may decide that it's still worth it for your family situation.
    It's 18 working weeks so if your wife changes her contract it will be 18 x 4 = 72 days.

Great advice. Also if she changes her contract to 4 days and you were to have another baby then her next maternity leave her full pay would be for a 4 day week (should the company pay maternity leave). But again this may be worth it for your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

ariana` wrote: »
    Great advice. Also if she changes her contract to 4 days and you were to have another baby then her next maternity leave her full pay would be for a 4 day week (should the company pay maternity leave). But again this may be worth it for your situation.

No more kids - i also post in the vasectomy thread!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

peteb2 wrote: »
    No more kids - i also post in the vasectomy thread!!;)

Fair play for manning up. I can't believe how many of my friends OHs won't even consider it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

ariana` wrote:
    Fair play for manning up. I can't believe how many of my friends OHs won't even consider it

Most painless thing I've ever had done

Advertisement