Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

kylith wrote: »
    I think the aul wan will be the next to go. She just doesn't seem to have the technical skills of some of the younger bakers.

Noooo. I love Flo!
    Stacey next to go I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Is paul a little biased towards steven? That was an awful lot of praise there!

Noooooo flo:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I knew Flo was gone. Flo knew Flo was gone.

Paul is getting quite fan girly about Steven, but how on earth did he make that chain?! It must be witchcraft!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Poor Flo, she was the obvious choice for the boot. I'd say that if given a choice Paul would still have given Steven star baker. That handbag was pure genius. He must move at twice the speed of everyone else to get things like bread stick chains done in the time!

Poor Flo, she was the obvious choice for the boot. I'd say that if given a choice Paul would still have given Steven star baker. That handbag was pure genius. He must move at twice the speed of everyone else to get things like bread stick chains done in the time!

I got the feeling Pru had put her foot down there.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I got the feeling Pru had put her foot down there.
    Most definitely, was a tough enough call, there wasn't really a star at all this week but I agree it shouldn't have been Steven. He did not do well in the first 2 rounds at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Liam seems like a nice chap but I dont think he'll be with us for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

Apparently there's rumours that Steven is a professional chef!!

I've heard that, but he claims to just be an avid baker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

He's certainly used to making showstoppers! Any blurb I've read about him talks about his 'background in marketing' but there's no mention of a day job.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/09/06/great-british-bake-stevens-stunning-instagram-account-explains/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

huskerdu wrote: »
    Liam seems like a nice chap but I dont think he'll be with us for much longer.

Got that one wrong ! Liam was nearly star baker this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

huskerdu wrote: »
    Got that one wrong ! Liam was nearly star baker this week

Ah sure lookit, the person who went this week had done some super stuff in previous weeks. You're only as good as your last bake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

For me, the best thing to come out of the move to C4 is Prue as a judge. She completely refreshes the format. Pulls no punches I'd say when it comes to Paul or the contestants.

I love Prue, thought I could see shock on her face when paul gave steven a bad comment at one stage :pac:

My housemate for some reason can't stand Liam.. I don't mind him but I don't think he'll last much longer.

Katie also needs to tie her hair back properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

Anyone else really happy to see the history segments back?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    My housemate for some reason can't stand Liam.. I don't mind him but I don't think he'll last much longer.

I love Liam! I always think the younger contestants seem really twee or something but he's just a regular guy who genuinely seems to know what he's doing. He deserved Star Baker.

I'm warming to Liam, his millionaire bars sounded very tasty.

Was sorry to see Tom go, but he had an awful couple of days.

treenytru wrote: »
    Anyone else really happy to see the history segments back?

I am - I've missed them up until now.
    I love Liam! I always think the younger contestants seem really twee or something but he's just a regular guy who genuinely seems to know what he's doing. He deserved Star Baker.

He deserved Star Baker. He has a real passion for baking, and it's starting to show now.

I felt sorry for Tom too, he's been so good up until now and it was just bad luck that he had such a bad week.

That winning showstopper...

Shame about James. I think some cracks are starting to show in Steven; he's straying too much into style over substance. Meanwhile Stacey seems to be going from strength to strength, and Sophie's doing really well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

I think Sophie might win this year's GBBO, Steven is trying too hard and is going over the top. His showpiece was more about the jelly than anything else and he got that wrong.

Sophie is the most consistently good contestant at this stage. Kate is just about hanging in there, and dodged a bullet last night. Stacey really shone for the first time - but it's becoming obvious that Steven knows more about decoration than he does about baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think Liam and Julia may lose out due to inexperience in the long run, which would be a pity because they are both talented and likable.

I'm not sure why but it seems Stacey is really unpopular! It was the first time she really stood out last night - what unusual flavours too.

Malari wrote: »
    I think Liam and Julia may lose out due to inexperience in the long run, which would be a pity because they are both talented and likable.

I really felt for Liam over that jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Malari wrote: »

I'm not sure why but it seems Stacey is really unpopular! It was the first time she really stood out last night - what unusual flavours too.

She's just kind of annoying I think - although this was the first week she didn't have a story about her kids!

I didn't realise Julia was so young til this week. She and Liam are getting very emotional when things go wrong - Sophie keeps the head the whole time which will only get more important as things go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

She's just kind of annoying I think - although this was the first week she didn't have a story about her kids!

I didn't realise Julia was so young til this week. She and Liam are getting very emotional when things go wrong - Sophie keeps the head the whole time which will only get more important as things go on!

I know! I think that they mentioned once or twice that she was married, so I figured at least mid-20s.

Makes it more impressive that she didn't really have childhood exposure to many of the recipes they ask them to make that are really Great British favourites and old classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Sophie is the most consistently good contestant at this stage. Kate is just about hanging in there, and dodged a bullet last night. Stacey really shone for the first time - but it's becoming obvious that Steven knows more about decoration than he does about baking.

I don't think so really. The weeks he has won star baker, his bakes were judged to very good to excellent as well as the decoration. His steamed pud this week was also a good bake. He's only has a few bum notes so far, less than other contestants. I expect this week to be a wake up call for him to simplify things a bit. He'll be a finalist.

Once again Steven was let down by taste.

Delighted for Liam though, I thought he deserved it. I think Julia knew she was in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I really like Liam but don't think he'll win. I'm going to try make his showstopper pie once I get my hand on some goat.

• Advertisement

I don't know where you are, but I got some in the market in Meeting House Square in Dublin last summer. It's not cheap.

Advertisement