Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

kylith wrote: »
    I don't know where you are, but I got some in the market in Meeting House Square in Dublin last summer. It's not cheap.

The Temple Bar Market on a Saturday? I'm going to ask my local butcher first. He's usually good for things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    The Temple Bar Market on a Saturday? I'm going to ask my local butcher first. He's usually good for things like that.

That's the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I really like Liam but don't think he'll win. I'm going to try make his showstopper pie once I get my hand on some goat.

Probably have it in FX Buckley’s on Moore St

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭conor222

I really like Liam but don't think he'll win. I'm going to try make his showstopper pie once I get my hand on some goat.

They sell it in the Saturday market in Temple Bar. Just as you wander into the square from beside Button Factory, the guys set up just on the left hand side. They sell cooked goat as well as butchered goat for cooking there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Delighted for Liam after last week! Gutted for Julia though, she just had a bit of a crap week, and she was unlucky - I really thought the paper left in the pie would have Stacey going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I just got to watch it tonight - I'm surprised Stacey didn't go. Poor Julia, she'd been so good up until this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Steven returns to form!

Can’t believe making pizza would have completely thrown what are meant to be serious bakers. :rolleyes:

Loved those cannolis. They’ve gone straight to the top of MrsG!’s to bake list. :)

You'd think pizza would be fairly standard for them, the peel appears to have been lots of people's undoing

Not surprised Yan went, she had a disasterous week. Stacey and Kate are on thin ice too, I'd say they're only still in by the skin of their teeth.

Those sfogliathingies looked delicious. I might actually give those a go for mince pies this Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Omg those cannoli! Gloomtastic!, I'd love to hear how Mrs. G gets on making them - I'd even be willing to taste them ;). Failing that, I've been googling and it seems Dolce Sicily café on Dawson Street make the best ones in Dublin so I'll take a trip to town.

I think there was a clear divide on GBBO last night and if it doesn't change it looks like Steven, Sophie and Liam in the final. The others are nowhere near as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I didn't think that was much of a showstopper, even the specifying two fillings type of thing was very much like a signature bake or a technical, there wasn't much room for creativity at all. Yan and Kate were saving themselves on the showstoppers the last few weeks I think so not surprising they came off worst here.

The pizza must have been tough for Kate with the finger injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Just watched a double whammy of GBBO!! I think Liam is lovely so delighted he has settled more. I was disappointed the show stopper on Italian week wasn't a wow creation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

loved the lemon in the pizza sauce tip I got from the show. I have never heard of this before and tried last night and it makes a huge difference to your pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

BailMeOut wrote: »
    loved the lemon in the pizza sauce tip I got from the show. I have never heard of this before and tried last night and it makes a huge difference to your pizza.

What kind of difference? Love making my own pizza and forgot about seeing the lemon till you mentioned it just there...always trying to improve on my own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just saw Extra Slice - best celeb panel so far!

Thought Yan came across as a bit sore about being kicked out.... although maybe that's just her manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

greenttc wrote: »
    What kind of difference? Love making my own pizza and forgot about seeing the lemon till you mentioned it just there...always trying to improve on my own!

try it! It gives the sauce a nice fresh and zesty taste and I used the juice from half a lemon for two tins of crushed tomatoes.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

If they had been able to take previous weeks into account I think Kate would have been gone.

Me too - it's obviously decided on a week to week basis, but that doesn't seem at all fair this year. It's unthinkable that Liam is gone and Kate is still there. Stacey too - although she got star baker this week she's been borderline all the way through. The only reason Kate is still there is pure luck because there has always been someone a little bit worse than her.
    I'm now in the "Anyone But Steven" camp :D

Liam did so well all the way through. They consistently loved his flavours, and his baking was great. Sending him off was an absolute crime.

I'm behind Sophie all the way now. Steven's irritating (but he is good, feck 'I'm) and neither Stacey (who I actually like, but no way is she as good as Liam), nor Kate deserves to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I was gutted that Liam went. He had a great personality and seems to be extremely talented when it comes to flavours. I think Stephen will win but don't really want him too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I can't stand Stacey and can't believe she is still there.

I am totally gutted that Liam is gone. He was far superior to Stacey, and Kate.

Stephen is irritating but he is the best baker and should win.

But tbh I am in the 'anyone but Stacey' camp. Surely to God she can't win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Apart from this week i would have said sophie is the strongest baker she just hasnt done anything spectactular to wow us..been really consistent

Kind of felt bad for Stacey as she definitely pulled out the stops for the showstopper, but her previous bakes just weren't good enough. Himself was a bit annoyed at me repeatedly telling the telly that she shouldn't have been there anyway; I still miss poor Liam.

Steven seems to be really suffering as the weeks go on; his flavours are getting better, but the look of his work is suffering and I felt he was lucky not to get the boot. Kate had a great weekend, but Sophie is still my favourite to win; she's been consistently good the whole way through.

I felt sorry for Stacey last night, and annoyed that Paul said they had to look back over the past weeks in order to decide who went through when he didn't say it the week Liam was sent home. Sophie and Steven have always stood out from the rest, but the judges should either take it week by week or overall, not change along the way.
    I thought Kate was brilliant last night :)

treenytru wrote: »

I read something about that yesterday, and I have to say she comes across as very grounded considering the wealth they must have. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I felt sorry for Stacey last night, and annoyed that Paul said they had to look back over the past weeks in order to decide who went through when he didn't say it the week Liam was sent home. Sophie and Steven have always stood out from the rest, but the judges should either take it week by week or overall, not change along the way.
    I thought Kate was brilliant last night :)

I don't think its fair to say that they changed the rules suddenly.

If the judges consider the weeks results to be a dead heat, they go back over the previous weeks to decide who should go.

It's not the first time this has happened over the years.

This year a few people have had a lot of luck and a few people have had a lot of bad luck in individual weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Avoid Twitter today if you don't want the final ruined. Prue has tweeted the name of the winner by accident. Said she's in a different time zone and didn't realise :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Wheety wrote: »
    Avoid Twitter today if you don't want the final ruined. Prue has tweeted the name of the winner by accident. Said she's in a different time zone and didn't realise :eek:

I saw it! Although I did actively seek out an article to see who the winner was. All I can say is I'm delighted :P Well deserved winner.

Wonder does Padddy Power or any of the other betting companies have a draw for this years' winner. I'm assuming such a draw would be null and void after the slip up today :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Saw it also, popped up on my feed. Gas. Actually, with halloween and all, I forgot about GBBO final, so if anything for me this controversy was an advert.

• Advertisement

A well deserved win, I thought, though Kate did very well too. Steven must be gutted but I thought that his looked awful. It's better to make one good cake than fail at two cakes.

Well done Sophie. I'm delighted for her. She deserved it.

Advertisement